LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tanabe or no.....????

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 11:35 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tanabe or no.....????

So its been 6 weeks since I ordered my wheels from Asanti....I am waiting for those to be ready before I get all the work done to my car. They say another 2 weeks.

I have a brand new set of Tanabe springs sitting in the trunk of my car.

My question is should I stick with the Tanabe's or go a different route?

Just looking for some opinions/suggestions.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-10, 05:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

what other options are out there? what other companies offer springs for ls460?

or you are considering coilovers like jic?
Old 02-27-10, 05:54 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

rominl I guess I should of been more specific....

Yes tanabe springs or coilovers?

I'm just curious how the car is going to sit with the 22" wheels and Tanabe springs.
Old 02-27-10, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

some other members with springs can chime in with their experience. me myself i always go for at least coilovers. i just like the flexibility to go exactly how low i want it to be
Old 02-27-10, 10:20 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

You could always go air. I saw an LS with air. Looked real good.
Old 02-27-10, 10:31 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're worried about comfort, you might wanna double check the spring rates. The spring rates of the tanabe's are usually 20-30% stiffer than stock depending on the tanabe springs that you got.
Old 02-27-10, 10:57 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Well I bought the NF210's. Here are the specs...

Product Specification:

Front Lowering 1.50 inches
Rear Lowering 0.80 inches

Spring Rates (kg/mm):

Front Rate is 3.1
Rear Rate is 2.7

I just dont know if I want to spend over 2K on the JIC's? After seeing SYNERGY's LS....I am second guessing myself lol.....
Old 02-28-10, 01:16 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

oh ok.. NF for normal feel..

JIC's spring rates are 16/8 kg/mm F/R
Old 03-01-10, 09:39 PM
bugatti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Tanabe on my SWB with 21s. It's fine... the comfort level decrease quite a bit.
Compare to other lower car, it is better. But it's still a spring drop, so don't expect anything close to stock.
Coilover was going to be my next step. They should give you better adjustments.

hope this helps
Old 03-02-10, 11:34 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springs or coilovers comes down to budget, there is a pretty big gap between the cost of the two.

Decide what your budget is first then look into what coilover would be right for you. You can get a good setup for less than $1000.

Feel free to PM us for info
Old 03-02-10, 05:10 PM
rz_racer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same questions you did. I went the Tanabe NF210 route. I have a Wald body kit and 21" wheels. Bens experience maybe different. For me the drop for the front was too much, the tires tucked with no rubbing but there was not even a finger gap. You had to angle your finger upwards to get your finger between the wheel and the fender.

Also with Wald front lip and the side skirts I was always worried about driveways and speed bumps. I have always owned cars that were lowered with bodykits so i knew how to drive them, but I just didn't want to worry about it on the 460.

On the rear it was a respectable 1.5 to 2 finger gap, looked really good. But my concern was the spring rates were too low. If I hit a big dip on the 405 at speed, the back would compress and you can hear the shock tower compress and hit the bump stops. Also with the really agressive offset on my rears you can hear the tire scrape the top of the wheel well and rub off some of the felt liner........ So if I had people or luggage in the trunk it was even worse....

Anyways, I just had the Megan coilovers installed by Tommy at Musicbox... I am pretty happy.

Spring rates 12 in front and 8 in back. I am actually very happy with the fronts, put a 1.5-2 finger gap, and no worries on driveways...... and for me drives almost stock driving over speed bumps.....

Ok for the rear, I have a 3 finger gap right now and debating on lower it further. But I am not VIP anything and I carry people in rear so I would rather have that extra space for riders and unexpected bumps on our freeways..... so i may just leave it... My concern is even at its softest setting, 32, the dampening/rebound over a speed bump is still a little harsh. It almost feels like I am driving a pickup truck with a solid rear axle...

I went counter-intuitive and stiffened it up to 22 and for some reason, in my mind, I think it rides a little better. I am going to try 16 and see it gets even better.

My first guess would be if i swapped out to a 10 spring rate in the rear and went back to a 32 dampening setting it would ride like the fronts.....

But over long roads and freeways it feels perfect, not to stiff and still very luxury. Five people in the car with luggage....... still great, not a care in world, no rubbing and people still feel like they are riding a luxury vehicle....

i dunno, but this is my first person real life experience with this stuff so take it for what its worth thanks

so if anybody needs NF210's for a 460 let me know...
Old 03-02-10, 06:23 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by rz_racer
I had the exact same questions you did. I went the Tanabe NF210 route. I have a Wald body kit and 21" wheels. Bens experience maybe different. For me the drop for the front was too much, the tires tucked with no rubbing but there was not even a finger gap. You had to angle your finger upwards to get your finger between the wheel and the fender.

Also with Wald front lip and the side skirts I was always worried about driveways and speed bumps. I have always owned cars that were lowered with bodykits so i knew how to drive them, but I just didn't want to worry about it on the 460.

On the rear it was a respectable 1.5 to 2 finger gap, looked really good. But my concern was the spring rates were too low. If I hit a big dip on the 405 at speed, the back would compress and you can hear the shock tower compress and hit the bump stops. Also with the really agressive offset on my rears you can hear the tire scrape the top of the wheel well and rub off some of the felt liner........ So if I had people or luggage in the trunk it was even worse....

Anyways, I just had the Megan coilovers installed by Tommy at Musicbox... I am pretty happy.

Spring rates 12 in front and 8 in back. I am actually very happy with the fronts, put a 1.5-2 finger gap, and no worries on driveways...... and for me drives almost stock driving over speed bumps.....

Ok for the rear, I have a 3 finger gap right now and debating on lower it further. But I am not VIP anything and I carry people in rear so I would rather have that extra space for riders and unexpected bumps on our freeways..... so i may just leave it... My concern is even at its softest setting, 32, the dampening/rebound over a speed bump is still a little harsh. It almost feels like I am driving a pickup truck with a solid rear axle...

I went counter-intuitive and stiffened it up to 22 and for some reason, in my mind, I think it rides a little better. I am going to try 16 and see it gets even better.

My first guess would be if i swapped out to a 10 spring rate in the rear and went back to a 32 dampening setting it would ride like the fronts.....

But over long roads and freeways it feels perfect, not to stiff and still very luxury. Five people in the car with luggage....... still great, not a care in world, no rubbing and people still feel like they are riding a luxury vehicle....

i dunno, but this is my first person real life experience with this stuff so take it for what its worth thanks

so if anybody needs NF210's for a 460 let me know...
Thanks for your insight. This really helps a lot. Now the decision...lol. I'll think about it through the night and see which way I go.

I may have some NF210's for sale too!