LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyway to override the DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 02:24 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JKN2000
Hmm, its priced kinda high, but looks to be well worth it as it does look like u can access the navi while in motion too. I will definitely have to invest into this. And jlawr, I will have to touchbase with you once I receive this product.
I'll be happy to help
Old 03-03-10, 03:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
cutting wires pretty much give dealership a good excuse to void the electronic warranty, since wires are cut and manipulated, god knows what happened when they were cut and something could be shorted.

speaking from personal experience, i know some tech at dealership. i know of 2 cases, both IS owners. they went in saying that their navigation were acting up. the tech looked and found out that wires were cut and connected back, probably from trying to do wire hack. warranty work denied, put in computer that wire has been tempered with, and that information is available nationwide.
How does the PS Override get around tampering with the wires?
Old 03-03-10, 03:31 PM
nolan8v
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
I had a local installer put mine in while I ate lunch next door...couldn't have been easier! Sound Proof in Douglasville, $75.00. Go next door to Taco Mac and eat a bunch of wings while you wait.
Thanks for the recommendation G2Lexus. I have ordered the kit from prestigious as well as scheduled an appointment with Sound Proof.

Cheers
Old 03-03-10, 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
How does the PS Override get around tampering with the wires?
it's completely plug and play (harnesses included) and signal manipulating is done on the unit side. so that takes away all the user uncertainty. there is only one way to plug in the harnesses.
Old 03-03-10, 04:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Ah ah! Thanks!
Old 03-03-10, 10:15 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
cutting wires pretty much give dealership a good excuse to void the electronic warranty, since wires are cut and manipulated, god knows what happened when they were cut and something could be shorted.

speaking from personal experience, i know some tech at dealership. i know of 2 cases, both IS owners. they went in saying that their navigation were acting up. the tech looked and found out that wires were cut and connected back, probably from trying to do wire hack. warranty work denied, put in computer that wire has been tempered with, and that information is available nationwide.
A lot of aftermarket auto electronics devices require connections to the vehicles wiring; remote starters, alarms, stereo upgrades, lighting upgrades, you name it.

I doubt that all of these folks are voiding their warranties. Obviously, a hack job that caused some damage is one thing, but to say that hard-wiring a parking brake signal to the nav unit is going to automatically void your electronics warranty is a bit of a stretch, although what an individual dealer may try to do in a specific case is obviously hard to predict, but I do not believe that there is anything in the Lexus warranty that would allow them to deny warranty coverage because of a modification unless the modification caused the damage.

Don't get me wrong, I have a PS Nav override and think it's great. The installation instructions were probably the most detailed that I have ever seen. But if all you need is to override the DVD parking brake lockout, it's overkill. Maybe PS will come out with a DVD-only mod, just a couple of connectors and a couple of pieces of wire.

Let me run this one by you. I have the 'dash rattle' that's covered by a TSIB, and the repair involves removal of the whole dash including the electronics stack. Do I just assume the tech will be able to deal with the fact that I have a Nav override and a Vais-Tech unit installed, do I tell them about those up front and give them copies of the install instructions, or do I just remove them beforehand and reinstall them later?
Old 03-03-10, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
A lot of aftermarket auto electronics devices require connections to the vehicles wiring; remote starters, alarms, stereo upgrades, lighting upgrades, you name it.

I doubt that all of these folks are voiding their warranties. Obviously, a hack job that caused some damage is one thing, but to say that hard-wiring a parking brake signal to the nav unit is going to automatically void your electronics warranty is a bit of a stretch, although what an individual dealer may try to do in a specific case is obviously hard to predict, but I do not believe that there is anything in the Lexus warranty that would allow them to deny warranty coverage because of a modification unless the modification caused the damage.

Don't get me wrong, I have a PS Nav override and think it's great. The installation instructions were probably the most detailed that I have ever seen. But if all you need is to override the DVD parking brake lockout, it's overkill. Maybe PS will come out with a DVD-only mod, just a couple of connectors and a couple of pieces of wire.

Let me run this one by you. I have the 'dash rattle' that's covered by a TSIB, and the repair involves removal of the whole dash including the electronics stack. Do I just assume the tech will be able to deal with the fact that I have a Nav override and a Vais-Tech unit installed, do I tell them about those up front and give them copies of the install instructions, or do I just remove them beforehand and reinstall them later?
yes, i agree with you, my statement was short and i should have worded it right. i should have said you risk voiding the warranty should anything happens (which i have seen). but if anything happens to the nav and they see the wire cutting, they can most definitely blame on it.

and about the mods, yes, if they have to take out the whole dash, and they see aftermarket parts installed, it really depends on the technician. they can say they see aftermarket parts, and they can ask you to put it back to factory before operating on your car. it has to do "what if it breaks" kind of liability. for me, i know my tech, and i gave him heads up about my override and vaistech, he said he's totally cool and will let me know if he runs into issues. but if he does it by the book....
Old 03-04-10, 05:44 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nolan8v
Thanks for the recommendation G2Lexus. I have ordered the kit from prestigious as well as scheduled an appointment with Sound Proof.

Cheers
Cool! I'm pretty handy with the tools but there was no way I was busting my $70k car apart on my own to save 75 bucks. Those guys did a great job. I had my PS remote placed on the power socket piece inside the center console to keep it out of sight though they'll place it anywhere you want. You'll love that override!
Old 03-04-10, 09:35 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DVD Overide

For the 350 dollars and installation costs. You can go to Best Buy and purchase 3 or 4 Portable DVD players. And eveyone in the car can watch what they want.

Or you can put in Sirius Backseat TV. 2 large Headrest Monitors. Sirius TV reciever. Switch box to select DVDs or TV. Cost me 600 dollars installed.
Old 03-04-10, 12:02 PM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by KeysRx300
For the 350 dollars and installation costs. You can go to Best Buy and purchase 3 or 4 Portable DVD players. And eveyone in the car can watch what they want.

Or you can put in Sirius Backseat TV. 2 large Headrest Monitors. Sirius TV reciever. Switch box to select DVDs or TV. Cost me 600 dollars installed.
Keeping everything factory looking comes with a little cost. I personally think it's worth it.

I bought my override primarily to utilize the nav in motion. I barely watch TV at home so I certainly don't have the desire to watch it in the car. Having the ability for passengers to watch DVD's in motion is just a convenient other function of the PS override.
Old 03-06-10, 10:48 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Does installation of the PS Override risk denial of warranty coverage?
Old 03-06-10, 12:23 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
Does installation of the PS Override risk denial of warranty coverage?
Not in my experience
Old 03-07-10, 04:52 AM
OPSBD
Rookie

Took my car in for service. When the service writer called to pick up my car he ask what the TV/NAV button was for. I told him and he's reply was, cool! where can I buy one? I asked him if there would be a problem with warranty since I installed an after market product, his replay was only if there was proof the product was the cause for failure. He then said (off the recored hehe) if ever there's a problem with the head unit and you need warranty work and want to make sure then remove the overide before bringing the car in.
Old 03-09-10, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by OPSBD
Took my car in for service. When the service writer called to pick up my car he ask what the TV/NAV button was for. I told him and he's reply was, cool! where can I buy one? I asked him if there would be a problem with warranty since I installed an after market product, his replay was only if there was proof the product was the cause for failure. He then said (off the recored hehe) if ever there's a problem with the head unit and you need warranty work and want to make sure then remove the overide before bringing the car in.
lol sweet! that's the great thing about the override, everything is reversible
Old 03-13-10, 08:16 AM
nolan8v
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
Cool! I'm pretty handy with the tools but there was no way I was busting my $70k car apart on my own to save 75 bucks. Those guys did a great job. I had my PS remote placed on the power socket piece inside the center console to keep it out of sight though they'll place it anywhere you want. You'll love that override!

I had the PS kit installed yesterday. It took less than two hours. Works as described. I wish I would have come across this technology much sooner.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Anyway to override the DVD player?