LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

updating the NAV at home.. there must be a way...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 08:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
The 2007-2009 LS460s can use either a dvd-based or hard drive-based nav system, depending on the destination country. I have no clue why this is.
That is correct. Different Lexus markets source their nav data from different companies either DVD or HDD.

USA = Denso/Fujitsu
UK = Aisin
Australia = Denso
Old 03-17-10, 08:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, hdd vs dvd is not a good way to distinguish gen 5 and 6. ls460 and lx570 are always hdd based, but they started out with gen 5
Yeah that's right. I stand corrected.

I should have been more clear. All Gen 6 NAV systems are HDD based. All Gen 5 were DVD based with the exception of the 4LS and 3LX.
Old 03-17-10, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
That is correct. Different Lexus markets source their nav data from different companies either DVD or HDD.

USA = Denso/Fujitsu
UK = Aisin
Australia = Denso
haha man, lexus is really making things very complicated
Old 03-18-10, 03:53 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
your wrong. it is a pain in the ***. it has taken me up to 3 hours to update it. its sooooo stupid how they make it work. you have to have 3 items. techstream, nav update tool, and the USB key file.

start up the nav update program
load everything into the nav update tool
load the key file in the to nav update tool
then plug the nav update tool (not the techstream) in the port under the drivers dash and let it update.

sounds very simple, yea! is it? NO!!! it will lock up all the time and if it doesnt then it will not read the ONE nav disc you load into the techstream then load into the nav update tool, and if all that goes will it still will take 45 mins to an hour just to load the nav disc that contains the map data. and after that you have to load the CDDB data....another 45 mins to an hour. THEN you get to load the key file then acutally update the car...another 30 mins.

pain. in. the. ***.
Boxcarfan's description is the most accurate and realistic. I went through this same scenario on my '07-460. I sat in the dealership, for three hours waiting. After about an hour my curiosity got the best of me, so I made my way back to the service bay, and sat alongside the lead tech who was tearing his hair out, booting, re-booting and going through upload after upload attempts. I eventually had to leave in a loaner. At the time, I was negotiating on the 600, and the deal went through before the tech finally figured it out over the phone with Lexus Corp...
Old 03-18-10, 05:52 AM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea of course im accurate lol. i am a Lexus tech. and oddly enough the youngest and ONLY one able to figure it out. i had to show the lead tech how to do it lol.
The following users liked this post:
aristo1987 (04-22-21)
Old 03-18-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
yea of course im accurate lol. i am a Lexus tech. and oddly enough the youngest and ONLY one able to figure it out. i had to show the lead tech how to do it lol.
and i am sure you will start getting tons of questions from members about their cars now
Old 03-18-10, 08:57 AM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i may get a ton of questions but that dont mean i gotta answer then haha. some things i just cant tell you how to do. or i could, but then i would have to terminate you...
Old 03-31-10, 11:51 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish I had read this thread prior to having my nav update done last weekend. My expectation was that I'd be in and out within an hour, but the reality was a 3 hr wait in the lounge to have the nav and cddb done. They did warn me once I arrived that it would be a 2 hr labor charge on top of the $200 for the nav license key. I felt put out and ripped off by the experience, but this thread helped relieve that feeling some what. It is certainly nice to have the updates though it would seem the process needs some improvements, since transfering a DVDs worth of files to a hard drive over firewire should be rather quick.
Old 04-05-10, 08:48 AM
Legends47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the update has enough changes to warrant having it done now or wait until fall of 2010 when the new update comes out?
Old 04-05-10, 09:10 AM
TheRealtor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated my 2007 LS460L navigation maps just last week. The original was dated 2006 and as a Realtor, I lived on my phone and Navigation system. The cost was $200 for the software and $65.00 for the labor.

By upgrading the maps etc, it also updated the system. Before, I would have to hit the Agree button on the screen before it would disappear. After the upgrade, the Agree screen stays on for about 5 seconds and then goes into normal mode. I don't have to hit the Agree button. Additionally, other minor changes such as name of road you are currently on is now displayed.

Worth the upgrade for me of course but YMMV.

-Mike The Realtor
Old 04-06-10, 08:34 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definitely worth it for 2007 owners

As a new owner of a 2007 LS (I've only had GS series cars with DVD NAV prior) the NAV update is worth it, for the "I Agree" debacle alone! Especially at the NOW normalized $199 part price, $65+ ($75 here in Ohio) labor. Don't forget to ask for the free Gracenote update as well (so when you put in CDs you get the correct track listings.)

I feel Lexus went to this sales/service/hdd model to get people back to the dealerships and lock in the profits. I mean, why wouldn't you just buy (or even devilishly copy) a newer map DVD and do it yourself?

The DVD updates were $300 + $75 labor not too long ago. . completely outrageous for a disc someone ejects and replaces in the trunk.
Old 04-06-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RocketSlug
As a new owner of a 2007 LS (I've only had GS series cars with DVD NAV prior) the NAV update is worth it, for the "I Agree" debacle alone! Especially at the NOW normalized $199 part price, $65+ ($75 here in Ohio) labor. Don't forget to ask for the free Gracenote update as well (so when you put in CDs you get the correct track listings.)

I feel Lexus went to this sales/service/hdd model to get people back to the dealerships and lock in the profits. I mean, why wouldn't you just buy (or even devilishly copy) a newer map DVD and do it yourself?

The DVD updates were $300 + $75 labor not too long ago. . completely outrageous for a disc someone ejects and replaces in the trunk.
lol they charged you 75 bucks to put a dvd in the slot? man, i want that job
Old 04-06-10, 11:11 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend just updated his 2008 SC430's nav. It uses a DVD, which cost him $200.

The dealer wanted a labor charge to install it, but he laughed it off and did it himself. Took just a few minutes - no problem.

Old 04-06-10, 10:55 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if a Toyota dealer can complete it then, since they use the same Techstream unit as the Lexus dealer. Labor rates are much cheaper.

Personally, I'm not going to bother... the maps are outdated by the time you get them and I already have the "I agree" update.
Old 04-07-10, 12:27 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I updated mine. Negotiated the price with the Service Manager for $150.00 including labor..

Getting rid of "I Agree" was worth it by itself!

Quick Reply: updating the NAV at home.. there must be a way...