LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Tire for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 06:04 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 89 Posts

I would recommend the Continental ProContact LS tires. They are very smooth and quiet and absorb bumps really well.

Also, I almost forgot, another way to help reduce road noise up front that I tried, is using multiple rubberized sheets on the front plastic wheel wells.

I used the brand NOICO or one of the other brands you can buy on Amazon.

It has a black facing so it matches the underside and you can’t tell it’s there. I felt like it helped reduce tire noise after I installed like 3 layers of the sheets. But now since I have even quieter tires on my 460, the car is even more silent at highway speeds than ever before.

Honestly what helps reduce road noise or any kind of noise from the outside world, is having a heavy vehicle that has a lot of rubber components that it sits on. The more mass and materials used to insulate a cabin, the quieter it is and smoother riding because the added weight is able to absorb vibrations and road shock better as well.

This is why all the old school luxury land yachts of past road so smoothly and sublimely without fuss, because they all mostly weighed over 5,000lbs in curb weight with soft springs. Having an extra long wheelbase makes a huge difference in riding smoothness as well.
Old 04-21-23, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Also very good tires...

And yes, that will help with road noise. I notice the 460 does not have carpeted wheel well liners in the front like my S560 does.
Old 04-21-23, 10:10 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
I would recommend the Continental ProContact LS tires. They are very smooth and quiet and absorb bumps really well.

Also, I almost forgot, another way to help reduce road noise up front that I tried, is using multiple rubberized sheets on the front plastic wheel wells.

It has a black facing so it matches the underside and you can’t tell it’s there. I felt like it helped reduce tire noise after I installed like 3 layers of the sheets. But now since I have even quieter tires on my 460, the car is even more silent at highway speeds than ever before.

Honestly what helps reduce road noise or any kind of noise from the outside world, is having a heavy vehicle that has a lot of rubber components that it sits on. The more mass and materials used to insulate a cabin, the quieter it is and smoother riding because the added weight is able to absorb vibrations and road shock better as well.

This is why all the old school luxury land yachts of past road so smoothly and sublimely without fuss, because they all mostly weighed over 5,000lbs in curb weight with soft springs. Having an extra long wheelbase makes a huge difference in riding smoothness as well.
What thickness did you use? Was it easier to apply 3 thinner sheets vs the thicker ones? Did you remove the liner to make the application easier? Any advice or guidance on what NOT to do or to do is appreciated.
Old 04-22-23, 08:27 AM
HushedRide
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you're describing the Ford Lightning electric truck. I had one until recently and it was fantastic for road noise on most surfaces. Body on frame decoupling + weight (actually the lighter standard range vehicle rode better than my extended, but we're talking 6200-7000 lbs respectively) + soft springs. It was very much an old school cruiser.

Typically butyl should not be installed on this side of the wheel well, but instead the interior. Have you taken any steps to hold secure it in case the bond wears out?
I would be much more comfortable with the thick quilted wheel well liners found today in various luxury vehicles.

Have to mention that it's funny the Mercedes EQS does not have those liners, and also has frameless windows and is somehow very quiet for road and wind noise.

Maybe we should start a new thread for road noise reduction? I have butyl at home, and would be more than happy to buy quilted liners if any are available in our size.
Old 04-24-23, 11:08 AM
samene
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried the Pilots, tried the Primacy, tried the std Goodrich. All wore very, very fast and all wandered. Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus are outstanding. Smoother by far, quiet, hold a line and are refusing to show signs of wear. Until they become unavailable, I'll have nothing else on my LS460L AWD. If I thought a friend was installing something else, I would stage an intervention.
The following users liked this post:
Dave144239 (04-24-23)
Old 04-25-23, 09:23 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
What thickness did you use? Was it easier to apply 3 thinner sheets vs the thicker ones? Did you remove the liner to make the application easier? Any advice or guidance on what NOT to do or to do is appreciated.

I think I used an 80 mil thickness in this brand in black color, but I’m not sure they sell it in that size thickness anymore in black. It’s called Siless. Currently they sell the 50 mil sheets in black which is still fine, you might have to to use 3 layers to really help cut down on noise penetration.

The sheets are heavy and will add some weight to the wheel well, I simply cleaned up the plastic wheel well covers with rubbing alcohol, and used one of those heavy duty rollers to apply the sheets onto the covers.

After severe rainstorms that we’ve gotten out here in CA, the material has held up extremely well and hasn’t peeled off or anything.

You could also play with different materials such as the sheets of the closed cell foam in black, that could help absorb more road noise over the butyl rubber sheets.

The process is very easy and you can’t tell it’s even there. I do think Lexus should have added the felt liner up front on these cars which never made sense to me. But honestly the close cell foam and additional rubber sheets should do a better job at absorbing road noise than cheap felt liners.

Noise penetrates through materials including its vibrations, and the more material you use to stop the traveling or slow down that noise with additional barriers such as thick rubber or foam, the less of a chance that noise makes it way into the cabin.

I only used the butyl rubber sheets but I think using a combination of the rubber and the Closed Cell foam would be the best combination at reducing tire noise hands down.

You can find the products on Amazon on links below.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 04-25-23 at 10:05 AM.
swfla (04-25-23)
Old 04-25-23, 10:05 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Here’s another one that I think would be best of both worlds.

Its a hybrid 3-1 using Closed Cell foam, Mass Loaded Membrane (great sound deadening/absorbing material) and B-Mastic (butyl rubber).

You might only need 1 or 2 sheets of this stuff and will definitely make a world of difference. The only problem is that you will probably need to spray the outside layer with black paint to cover up the logo, vs just using the black butyl rubber and or foam without the logo present.

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by FlexnLexus:
Dave144239 (04-29-23), swfla (04-25-23)
Old 04-27-23, 07:41 PM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replaced the OE Turanza ER33, I guess the OE tire the previous owner had installed at the dealer. They were down to 4/32 and getting pretty dicey on roads with standing water, so I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. Shocked at how much the ride improved, like the sharp edges of bumps were rounded off, and quieter as well. And with plenty of rain recently, they have been great on wet roads. I don't drive this car very aggressively, but it does seem grippy on dry pavement, cornering and emergency braking. Only have 400 miles or so on them, but very satisfied overall.
SW17LS (04-28-23)
Old 09-22-23, 08:05 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samene
Tried the Pilots, tried the Primacy, tried the std Goodrich. All wore very, very fast and all wandered. Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus are outstanding. Smoother by far, quiet, hold a line and are refusing to show signs of wear. Until they become unavailable, I'll have nothing else on my LS460L AWD. If I thought a friend was installing something else, I would stage an intervention.
I've been on the P7 Cinturato P7 All Season Plus for 4 or 5 years now, but they are about done, maybe 3mm remaining. Off the top of my head I'm not sure of the mileage to date, but they've done well and I am very satisfied with the performance and quiet ride. The only P7 available in 245/45/19 is the AS Plus 3, but they aren't branded Cinturato. Of course I'm wondering it that's similar to the tires I've on, or something a bit different. Ideally I'd go with the exact same tire, but I'd also considering Conti or Michelin.

swfla (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The P7 3 is the replacement for your tires. I would buy them with confidence.
seanl (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 09:23 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The P7 3 is the replacement for your tires. I would buy them with confidence.
Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I have a month or so, but definitely am going to pull the trigger before our rainy season.

My other option is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus, which appears to be a bit more performance oriented:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+Sport+Package

The corresponding Pirelli seems to be the P Zero AS Plus 3:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...port%20Package

Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-23, 10:05 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 342 Posts

On my 3rd set of the P7's. 2nd set on the LS 460L which are the II's and 1 set on my 2006 SC 430 which are the original P7's. The 1st set on the LS got around 40K out of them. This LS is so heavy you will never get the 70K out of them. I rotate my tires every 5K with oil change. Love them. Taking the LS on a 1100 mile road trip this weekend.

Dennis
seanl (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanl
Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I have a month or so, but definitely am going to pull the trigger before our rainy season.

My other option is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus, which appears to be a bit more performance oriented:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+Sport+Package

The corresponding Pirelli seems to be the P Zero AS Plus 3:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...port%20Package

Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Those are ultra high performance tires not grand touring tires. I chose that type of tire for the S Class but I wouldn’t for the LS.

P7s aren’t available in my sizes on the S Class or I would have gotten them. I have the P Zeros.
Old 09-22-23, 02:07 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those are ultra high performance tires not grand touring tires. I chose that type of tire for the S Class but I wouldn’t for the LS.

P7s aren’t available in my sizes on the S Class or I would have gotten them. I have the P Zeros.
Yep, totally understand that they're a bit more aggressive than grand touring tires. My commute often includes a 14+ mile canyon segment to bypass the freeway, and it's got more curves than Marilyn Monroe. My aging P7s did just fine yesterday, but I thought perhaps I might go one step more sporting...
Old 09-22-23, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanl
Yep, totally understand that they're a bit more aggressive than grand touring tires. My commute often includes a 14+ mile canyon segment to bypass the freeway, and it's got more curves than Marilyn Monroe. My aging P7s did just fine yesterday, but I thought perhaps I might go one step more sporting...
I wouldn’t, personally. It just doesn’t play to the cars strengths.

Quick Reply: Best Tire for LS460