LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Relaibility of the LS 460.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 10:31 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Relaibility of the LS 460.

Hello everyone,

Looking at 2007 LS 460 with 40K miles...just wondering if there is anything I need to worry about....I plan to keep the car for 4+ years..has no warranty.

I am deciding between the LS ,7 series and CLS...I like the looks of the LS much more then the 7..but the CLS is too small and cramped in the back.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old 03-21-10, 10:47 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

@ 40k miles it should still be under manufacturer's warranty till 50k miles or 4 years from 2007.
Old 03-21-10, 02:38 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus' LS flagship sedan, the oldest Lexus nameplate (along with the ES sedan), is the most-reliable luxury car on the market--the only one with top marks in quality and dependability from J.D. Power, as well as the highest possible "predicted reliability" rating from Consumer Reports.
Old 03-21-10, 02:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

If you plan to keep the car 4+ years, you will have a lot more to worry about with a Bimmer 7 series or a CLS 500/550 than you will ever have with a LS460.
Old 03-21-10, 05:41 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for the most reliable car on the road, you just found it. If you are looking for one of the most unreliable and repair prone cars made, then get a 7 or CLS. I'm not even sure why you are looking at a CLS. Its an over modified outdated and overpriced E500/550. You should be looking at an S550, 745Li or LS460L. That would be a fair comparison.
Old 03-21-10, 10:15 PM
JKN2000
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lexus LS all the way.. NO decision necessary here..
Old 03-22-10, 05:32 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

I don't know about the CLS. Only buy the BMW if you live close to a service center, have lots of disposable cash and don't mind driving a lot of 328's and X3's as loaners.

The 7 is an awesome car when it is running but unfortunately that's seldom. You should go check out one of the BMW forums and read what owners are saying. Lots of transmission problems, wind noise and lots of random electrical problems, all of which will cost you a fortune to repair if out of warranty. Most posters on the BMW 7 forums will advise you to never own one without a warranty.

As for the LS, one maintenance trip in 15 months. It doesn't drive like my old 7 but it's still very enjoyable. The fact that it is in my driveway and not the shop makes it far superior to the 7.
Old 03-22-10, 07:33 AM
donaldm823
Rookie

Originally Posted by Manny735
Hello everyone,

Looking at 2007 LS 460 with 40K miles...just wondering if there is anything I need to worry about....I plan to keep the car for 4+ years..has no warranty.

I am deciding between the LS ,7 series and CLS...I like the looks of the LS much more then the 7..but the CLS is too small and cramped in the back.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
If it's a 2007 then it's still under warranty (4yr/50K miles). Look into an extended warranty by Lexus-several posts on this board for a 7yr/75K extended for less than $2000 and you can buy one as long as the Lexus is still under the orginal manufacturer warranty. One repair in electronics will pay for it.

As for reliability-my 2007 has had no problems except the fuel header recall and a leaking gasket as a result of the repair. I also have had several TSIB worked with the warranty. Overall, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned
Old 03-22-10, 08:42 AM
ikeb
Driver

Reliability is why i bought my car - its good looking and realiable and has lots of bells/whistles. And, the price is right.

I compared historical reports of the ls 460, s series, 7 series, and a8 - none compare with the 460.
Old 03-23-10, 12:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

No brainer for this segment imho would be the LS460. You want problem free luxury right??
Old 03-23-10, 07:28 AM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

The LS is the best Lexus has. But Reliabilty has been Lexus's forte since the early 90's. You couldnt buy a more reliable maunufacturer no matter what model you choose and buying a pre-owned lexus may be the smartest decison because you will will have warranty left over. I have had 2 pre-owns. I hate buying new. I typically buy with around 20K miles on the car. But My 2009 I bought new because I was hit in my 07 LS and SF paid out a total loss of $59,400. I wanted the same exact car and same options. Its known as the $73K car. When I found one in my color and selling at Invocie price ($64K), it was simply a no brainer for me to buy new. It was killing me not to drive an LS and driving a rental. I guess Lexus spoils us

$ for $ you wont find a better purchase than an LS. The Mercs are way overpriced and history has show they dont keep their value, esepcialy the S450/S500. The 7 series is an all out performance car. BMW's still have vanilla interior and cheap european hard leather. Germans just dont understand what Luxury is. Performance is their niche, although they do try to introduce fancy mouse gadgets that probbaly shouldnt be used ina car. So i dont get BMW sometimes.

Anyway, Want true Luxury with a gorgeoos interior with the best reliability record in the market for the past 15 years? ? LS is the way to go. Oh yes, and Lexus treats you like royalty. I actually feel abit uncomfortable with the royalty treatment. But thats just te way Lexus is. You walk out of there always in a good mood

Last edited by Mark_Nimda; 03-23-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 10:36 AM
ikeb
Driver

if it wasn't for the reliability problem with jags, i would have probably bought a 2011 jag XJ (great looking car). But, i had had enough problems with my last 3 jag XJs to convert to the ls 460.
Old 03-23-10, 09:52 PM
kenv
Rookie

Greatly enjoy the quality feedback..I am waiting until year end to purchase the 09 LS 460L. I want the passenger set memory settings. I am leaning toward private party or non certified Lexus still under warranty. Per my Lexus dealer finance guy I can purchase an extended warranty up to 8 yrs. 125k. My question: how realiable is car fax? If I buy private party and review all receipts/invoices should I have the car inspected at the Lexus dealer? My Toyota service adviser's hubby is a service adviser at Lexus and he feels the 08 thru 10 LS is 10 times better in overall quality and satisfaction compared to any other Lexus car. I was looking at the 08 GS 460 and he talked me out of it.
Old 03-23-10, 10:44 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not say from a reliability standpoint that an 08-10 is 10x better than say an 07.. they are the same vehicle with minor improvements. There were a couple of updates to the fuel lines and idler pulley, but Lexus covered that.

Your going to find the best deals on an 07 or 08.

CarFax, from my experience is almost worthless. I just turned in a GS300 that CarFax OR the Dealer missed being in a rear end collision, but because the dealer had certified it as CPO, they took it back 6 months later, as it didnt quality and should never have been certified.

Also IMO the LS is in a completely different league than the GS, from a reliability standpoint I would stick with the LS, so I would agree with him there.
Old 03-24-10, 07:20 AM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by ikeb
if it wasn't for the reliability problem with jags, i would have probably bought a 2011 jag XJ (great looking car). But, i had had enough problems with my last 3 jag XJs to convert to the ls 460.
Its amazing huh? I love the look and feel of a Jag. Almost bought a nice pre-owned blue one before my LS430 6 years ago. But the reality is they are the anti-lexus when it comes to reliability. I just dont get it.

Quick Reply: Relaibility of the LS 460.