LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shipping my Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 07:31 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shipping my Lexus

I'm planning on shipping my Lexus from Boston to Los Angeles this summer.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Any advice?

We're planning a cross country road trip and don't want to drive both ways.

HBH
Old 03-27-10, 07:47 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pay the money for an enclosed trailer transporter, otherwise expect some type of exterior damage.... normally paint. Remove all valuable things from the car. Anything that can be easily removed (stolen) during transport can and will be. Take out the things such as the first aid kit, floor mats, manual, ect.... and ship them in a box ahead of the car. Only ship it with one key, otherwise the others may be stolen.
Old 03-28-10, 12:06 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine shipped from Miami to Los Angeles. I didnt do the enclosed container and mine showed up in a great condition and nothing missing. I paid $700.

Going the enclosed container is probably a better option I guess I got lucky. i dont know what the price difference is but good luck.
Old 03-29-10, 09:11 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

I have plenty of friends who are in "car business" and ship their cars all of the time. Most of them are very expensive cars and still they use an open carrier and not a single issue. As long as you use a reputable company, you should be fine.
Old 03-29-10, 08:25 PM
cjohanne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure to go through a broker. i shipped my 08 ls460l and the driver stole it. the fbi tracked him down and arrested him and a new shipper had to pick up my car. the car took 3 months to get delivered and came with $5k of damage. make sure that the transporter has both damage insurance and theft insurance. the driver that took my car only had $100k in theft and my car was worth $80k and there were 7 other cars on the load. whatever you do, do not hire American Auto Transporters.
Old 03-29-10, 08:56 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

i wouldn't go as far as removing the first aid kit, floor mats, etc.. talk about paranoid..

anyhow.. i shipped a car from cali to denver using Dependable Auto Shippers. Car was lost for a week. They gave me a rental car during the mean time. Car was found with damage to the trunk and rear bumper.. wasn't too happy.. but ***** happens..
Old 03-31-10, 01:29 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i wouldn't go as far as removing the first aid kit, floor mats, etc.. talk about paranoid..

anyhow.. i shipped a car from cali to denver using Dependable Auto Shippers. Car was lost for a week. They gave me a rental car during the mean time. Car was found with damage to the trunk and rear bumper.. wasn't too happy.. but ***** happens..
If you like paying to replace all the removable things in the car or fighting it out with the shipping company, then leave them be. I've seen these things stolen many times. They bring good money on ebay or the local used car dealer market and they are right in front of the truck drivers face, available to be removed and sold at any point.
Old 03-31-10, 01:35 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cjohanne
make sure to go through a broker.
What are the names of some brokers?

How do they differ from individual shipping companies?

HBH
Old 03-31-10, 04:56 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used FedEx Custom Critical a few times. They are very professional and haul a lot of high end cars for collectors, snowbirds, auctions, etc.

http://passport.fedex.com/

I would be a bit leary of brokers. They may find you the best rate but they typically represent many companies including some that don't have a stellar reputation and never haul on an open transport trailer for reasons too numerous to mention. Its the old saying that you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Patric; 03-31-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-01-10, 01:12 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Patric
I have used FedEx Custom Critical a few times. They are very professional and haul a lot of high end cars for collectors, snowbirds, auctions, etc.

http://passport.fedex.com/

I would be a bit leary of brokers. They may find you the best rate but they typically represent many companies including some that don't have a stellar reputation and never haul on an open transport trailer for reasons too numerous to mention. Its the old saying that you get what you pay for.
+1, I've used them as well and had no problems. I'm not sure if Robert Pass still works for them. If so, ask for Robert. He used to own the company before selling out to Fed-Ex.

Interstate is also good and so is reliable...

Craig
Old 05-12-11, 12:12 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Default Interesting places to visit

Thanks for the replies.

I've chosen passporttransport.com to ship my LS600hL in late June. Expensive, but since they specialize in exotic cars, I'll feel safer.

Here's my itinerary. Any suggestions on interesting places to visit (or places to avoid) on the way? I'll be traveling alone, and am in NO hurry.

Death Valley for a few days.

Las Vegas for a few days.

Scottsdale/Phoenix for a few days.

http://tinkertown.com/ This looks fun, in Sandia Park, NM.

Canyon, TX

Oklahoma City

Wichita, KS

Kansas City, MO

Saint Louis

Chicago

Then, I haven't decided yet whether to take the straight route back to Maine, or the northern route through Canada.

HBH
Old 05-12-11, 12:34 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

i like driving if i had the time, a cross country road trip is always fun. I'm sure this car would be great over the road long distances like that. But this is great info here, if I ever have to ship, I'm searching for this thread again
Old 05-12-11, 12:47 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would skip Death Valley. Maybe just drive through on the way to Vegas if you want to see it, there is nothing there worth staying overnight much less for a few days. And in late June it will be hot as heck.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-12-11, 03:27 PM
edarte
Pole Position

My wife and I spent three+ weeks doing a road trip from Illinois to the Grand Canyon and back in 2005 (Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois) It was fantastic (Monument Valley is amazing). It was the first long trip in our LS 430. After three weeks on the road, when we got home, we could have used the washroom and then done it all again. The LS and road trips were made for each other.
Old 05-12-11, 03:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Any suggestions on interesting places to visit

The LS600hL is a great car, but I'd highly recommend the Wagon Queen Family Truckster for a cross country trip like this.

Well first of all, you have to start at Walley World (hopefully the park isn't closed when you're there).

I forget where it is, but stop and see the world's second largest ball of twine.

Skip the house of mud, but go to Dodge City.

If you are in Death Valley, try not to drive off the road and damage the suspension, the mechanics there are really expensive.

Do not stop in St. Louis unless you want your LS hub caps stolen. But if you're in Kansas, you have to stop and visit Eddie (bring some cash, he's a little short). According to Eddie. "I got laid off when they closed that asbestos factory, and wouldn't you know it, the army cuts my disability pension because they said that the plate in my head wasn't big enough."

Sorry, I've seen Vacation waaaay too many times!

Quick Reply: Shipping my Lexus