LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hard Disk Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 07:10 AM
mdoyle3834
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Disk Drive

I am looking at buying a 2010 LS 460 with the Mark Levinson system. Can someone explain how hard drive functionality in it? Can you simply put a cd into the system and it copies it on to the hard drive? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-10, 09:08 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdoyle3834
I am looking at buying a 2010 LS 460 with the Mark Levinson system. Can someone explain how hard drive functionality in it? Can you simply put a cd into the system and it copies it on to the hard drive? Any help would be appreciated.
Basically, yes. You can set it up to auto-rip every CD you put in, or you can do it only on certain CDs. The hard drive appears as another audio source device. You can select either 128kbps or 256kbps quality.
Old 03-28-10, 09:55 AM
bjb1442
Driver School Candidate

The 2010 LS 460 will not record from a CD. You can use your computer to record MP3 or WMA files to a CD or USB device for playback in the 2010 LS. You can also use an iPod.

Last edited by bjb1442; 03-28-10 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mdoyle3834
it will rip songs for you, so you have to put in audio-cd format (cdda) discs for it to rip. you cannot say put in a cd with mp3 songs and just ask it to "copy". it will not do that.

Originally Posted by bjb1442
The 2010 LS 460 will not record from a CD. You can use your computer to record MP3 or WMA files to a CD or USB device for playback in the 2010 LS. You can also use an iPod.
huh? 2010 doesn't have ability to rip songs anymore? so you can't store songs on the hdd anymore?
Old 03-28-10, 02:01 PM
useer 6282920
10th Gear

Correct. The 2010 LS w/ ML no longer rip CDs. The one nice thing it does do (and not sure if this is new to the '10 LS) is that it will allow wireless bluetooth audio streaming. Meaning that my iphone will connect and stream music without ever leaving my pocket.
Old 03-28-10, 02:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ChicagoLS
Correct. The 2010 LS w/ ML no longer rip CDs. The one nice thing it does do (and not sure if this is new to the '10 LS) is that it will allow wireless bluetooth audio streaming. Meaning that my iphone will connect and stream music without ever leaving my pocket.
so that means now the hdd is solely for the navigation only huh? interesting. well, personally i don't think much is missed, the previous hdd for music, honestly, was pretty dumb imho anyway.

i also heard the 2010 bluetooth streaming is much improved, that's another great thing. too bad the 2010 ipod setup on lexus hasn't been very impressive
Old 03-28-10, 09:59 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately - the bluetooth streaming is still analog - not digital. Using a cd with mp3 is digital.
Old 03-29-10, 05:58 PM
useer 6282920
10th Gear

I didn't realize that Bluetooth streaming was analog. Is using the USB interface analog?
Old 03-29-10, 10:28 PM
ikeb
Driver

using the usb interface is analog also

here is how it works: apple made a deal with the music publishers that all output would be analog only (to help stop stealing) - the internal DAC in the ipod or iphone is used to convert the digital to analog then it is converted back to digital for output. Thus, analog output. Thats why the usb output and the 3.5mm output sound the same.

There is an option to this - a company can pay apple a fee (amount unknown to me), and apple will provide the company with a chip that tells the ipod/iphone to output straight digital on a specific usb pinout. Lexus would have to pay apple that fee for that item.

Until then, analog only. This is why people don't hook up their ipods or iphones to high end home audio systems. At home, i have a dedicated computer that plays all my applelossless/aac files and i get straight digital output for the best sound.

As far as i know only one company has been licensed for home digital ipod out. But i think another company is about to come out with a product. I haven't heard of any companies doing it in cars.
Old 03-29-10, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

great info ikeb!

how about the vaistech vml?
http://www.vaistech.com/products/vml_products.php

from the comparison chart
http://www.vaistech.com/products/product_comparison.php

they say that the vml is their first unit using digital audio source
Old 03-30-10, 09:10 AM
ikeb
Driver

1) i dont think so

2) i dont think so

if they had ipod/iphone digital out - they would promote it.

the digital out is for mp3s or wave files on a hard drive or mass storage device. If you put all your music on a hard drive or 32/64 gb thumb drive - you will get digital out. But not with a ipod or iphone.

apple is a stupid/smart company. instead of having it "the consumer's way" its always "apple's way".

Originally Posted by rominl
great info ikeb!

how about the vaistech vml?
http://www.vaistech.com/products/vml_products.php

from the comparison chart
http://www.vaistech.com/products/product_comparison.php

they say that the vml is their first unit using digital audio source
Old 03-30-10, 11:36 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by ikeb
1) i dont think so

2) i dont think so

if they had ipod/iphone digital out - they would promote it.

the digital out is for mp3s or wave files on a hard drive or mass storage device. If you put all your music on a hard drive or 32/64 gb thumb drive - you will get digital out. But not with a ipod or iphone.

apple is a stupid/smart company. instead of having it "the consumer's way" its always "apple's way".
VML takes digital audio stream from iPod/iPhone, converts it to high quality analog signal using internal DAC. Then analog signal goes directly to amplifier or radio, depending on the model.

VML has unique technology that compensates harmonic distortion created by "load" (radio and/or amplifier). Harmonic Distortion level (THD) coming out from VML is .005%

If Lexus radio could accept digital signal from external devices, in this case iPod connected through USB port, it would have been a lot easier and better for us not to use DAC converter. But Lexus radio unfortunately can't accept digital signal.

But we do get digital signal from iPod/iPhone.

Lexus did change amplifiers to digital in 2010 models, but hasn't changed the radio to accept digital signal yet. But since one part is done, the second is on the way.
Old 03-30-10, 06:27 PM
useer 6282920
10th Gear

ikeb - Thanks for the info on the analog interface. When I test drove the LS w/ ML I played CDs to test the audio system and was impressed with the audio quality. Now with the iPhone I've been less than impressed and that explains it.
Old 03-30-10, 09:30 PM
ikeb
Driver

i figured out a way to get the ipod to sound much better. Denon does a version of what i do in their receivers for mp3s and aac, internet radio, etc. Denon calls it their "Restorer".

Here is the trick - in itunes set all of your music to have a built in equalizer (it makes output via headphones better too). What i do - if a song is POP genre, i set the built in equalizer to POP. If its rock - i set the built in equalizer to rock. You can do this in groups or individually - in itunes click on the tracks you want to have a specific type of equalization and then right click and go to get info. Next, in get info, click on the options tab and then choose the equalizer you want to use. Next time you sync your ipod or iphone, the track with the equalization attached will be transfered to your ipod/iphone.

Music will sound considerably better if not very good.

make sure you have the bass and treble in the lexus receiver set in the middle (neutral).

Originally Posted by ChicagoLS
ikeb - Thanks for the info on the analog interface. When I test drove the LS w/ ML I played CDs to test the audio system and was impressed with the audio quality. Now with the iPhone I've been less than impressed and that explains it.

Last edited by ikeb; 03-30-10 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by VaisTech
VML takes digital audio stream from iPod/iPhone, converts it to high quality analog signal using internal DAC. Then analog signal goes directly to amplifier or radio, depending on the model.

VML has unique technology that compensates harmonic distortion created by "load" (radio and/or amplifier). Harmonic Distortion level (THD) coming out from VML is .005%

If Lexus radio could accept digital signal from external devices, in this case iPod connected through USB port, it would have been a lot easier and better for us not to use DAC converter. But Lexus radio unfortunately can't accept digital signal.

But we do get digital signal from iPod/iPhone.

Lexus did change amplifiers to digital in 2010 models, but hasn't changed the radio to accept digital signal yet. But since one part is done, the second is on the way.
great info, thanks for the details! seems like with the vml the sound quality is quite a bit better (compared to some other ipod integration)