LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hyundai v. Lexus?? (Equus)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 01:14 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai v. Lexus?? (Equus)

Just asking for opinions. I saw a video that was saying Hyundai is directly competing against the Lexus LS460 line with its new Hyundai Equus. No disrespect to anyone, but I HATE Hyundai. The new pricing is between $50-$60K and the rear seat design looks mysteriously (and annoyingly) similar to the 460.

Question is, would you buy a Hyundai Equus? I realize this may be biased, but I just wanted some comments. Thx!

Hyundai Equus
Old 04-04-10, 01:28 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I don't the rear seat design looks all that similar, especially the door panels and seats. Also the tiny triangular windows on each side. I wasn't aware that Lexus had a patent on rear consoles...

Many of the details on the Equus interior don't look up to par, but overall, I think it's an excellent interior and an inviting one. The exterior is pretty good looking too (looks very japanese, but more Infiniti-like), but I wish they would kind of tone down the ridiculous badging on the front. Watch out Lexus!
Old 04-04-10, 01:35 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, just hit the link. I think Hyundai did a great job. My answer is YES! I dont care for the LOGO they have. Yes, Lexus is better looking to me but, the question was only would I buy(Any member) a Equus!

Whats great about it to me is it has all you want in a car! Reliability is unknown. I have no info on this new rides qualities! Looks good, would have to drive it to get a better idea but, the eyes see a nice looking car. Like it better than I expected!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-04-10, 02:26 PM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai is trying very hard first with the Genesis and now with the Equus. Unfortunately, they still carry the Hyundai name. The reality is that Hyundai came into this country competing with Yugo to be cheapest new car in America. In fact, I remember the adds between the Hyundai going for $5,995 and the Yugo for $4,995.

If Hyundai wanted to be taken seriously in the high-line car market then they should have introduced a second line such as Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti, Honda-Acura.

I test drove a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis before buying my Lexus. Nice car but I was left with "yeah, but it's a Hyundai". So I guess my answer to the OP's question would be no way would I consider the Equus over the LS.
Old 04-04-10, 02:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
Hyundai is trying very hard first with the Genesis and now with the Equus. Unfortunately, they still carry the Hyundai name. The reality is that Hyundai came into this country competing with Yugo to be cheapest new car in America. In fact, I remember the adds between the Hyundai going for $5,995 and the Yugo for $4,995.

If Hyundai wanted to be taken seriously in the high-line car market then they should have introduced a second line such as Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti, Honda-Acura.

I test drove a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis before buying my Lexus. Nice car but I was left with "yeah, but it's a Hyundai". So I guess my answer to the OP's question would be no way would I consider the Equus over the LS.
Couldn't have stated it better.

It amazes me how some of these companies, Buick being another one, try to put out this advertising comparing themselves to Lexus or another company like BMW, Mercedes, etc. and think people are just going to throw down cash and do it. Epic fail

For at least most of the people I know it comes down to the prestige of owning a Lexus (or whatever luxury vehicle you so choose). Where Hyundai would do better is of course comparing themselves to a Toyota or a Honda. I'm not even buying the idea that because of the recession people are going to get the less expensive Hyundai. What will happen then if they can't afford new is to get a used luxury vehicle.
Old 04-04-10, 03:07 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Man, some Lexus people are so full of themselves.

"But it's just a Toyota." I can't tell you how many times I've gotten those kinds of comments about my LS.
Old 04-04-10, 03:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

"But it's just a Toyota." I can't tell you how many times I've gotten those kinds of comments about my LS.
those people are just ignorant. In this case, it really is just a hyundai
Old 04-04-10, 04:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 421 Likes on 325 Posts

I remember seeing the new VW Phaeton at a local car show (I think it was in 2005). I was very impressed with the car, but the price was like $100,000. Not that the car wasn't worth it, but I thought who would spend $100,000 on a VW? Well, apparently very few people.

My guess is the same would be true for Hyundai. Their best bet would be to launch a new line of vehicles as Toyota, Nissan and Honda did with their upscale lines. In fact, let's start a contest to name the new upscale Hyundai line. Post your entries here!
Old 04-04-10, 04:25 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

For the most part, I agree with all of you. Except I don't think I would buy one. Call it ignorance or what have you, but I find it unreasonable for me to throw down $60,000 on a HYUNDAI?! Some people may go ahead and do it, but I wouldn't. I think one of the biggest things for me is that Hyundai has a tendency to 'copy' little things in other manufacturer designs. For example, the center console setup in the new Sonata, particularly the media **** setup, looks peculiarly similar to the one used by Nissan/Infiniti. What about the face of that Sonata?; Seems very 2nd gen Toyota Solara fascia if you ask me. Which is why I asked about the rear center console on the Equus. These are just to name a few, but IMO Hyundai has no originality and is reaping benefits off the ideas and designs of the real engineers/designers.
Old 04-04-10, 04:29 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I remember seeing the new VW Phaeton at a local car show (I think it was in 2005). I was very impressed with the car, but the price was like $100,000. Not that the car wasn't worth it, but I thought who would spend $100,000 on a VW? Well, apparently very few people.

My guess is the same would be true for Hyundai. Their best bet would be to launch a new line of vehicles as Toyota, Nissan and Honda did with their upscale lines. In fact, let's start a contest to name the new upscale Hyundai line. Post your entries here!
Judging by their course of design copying and its unoriginality I would guess that they would name their luxury line ---> LEXIS
Old 04-04-10, 07:49 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't quite get the rear console. Lots of controls, but no display??
Old 04-04-10, 10:58 PM
ikeb
Driver

I saw the equuis at the la auto show. Only 2 things would hold me back from getting one. Unknown reliability (i had jags before. Enough said on that). Being a first gen model. Are the bugs out of it?

As far as overall appeal. Its every bit as nice looling as a ls 460. One moRe thing - Hyundai doesnt have the "snob" appeal.

The person at the hyundai space at the auto show told me that they r trying to make the name Hyundai their higher end. In the long run it might work out ok.

Again, they r going to give lexus a run for tbe money.

A friend of mine that was with me at the auto show asked me if my lexus was really worth 10,000 more than this new equuis. I said to him at the time "i dont know".

Last edited by ikeb; 04-04-10 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 12:48 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The front grille is a bit garish, but overall I like it. Would I buy one? Yes

Take a look at the "L" version:

Last edited by Johnny; 04-05-10 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 03:09 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

And for the record amcdonal86, which model Hyundai do you own and what was your reason for purchasing?

Let's face it, our cars share a lot of characteristics with the Toyota line. You know Toyota, synonymous with reliability and quality for the past 40 or 50 years.

It wouldn't bother me a bit to have a big T on the grill instead of the L. An H on the other hand...no thanks.
Old 04-05-10, 05:22 AM
topgun04
Driver

Default But do you remember how Toyota launched Lexus?

The same skepticism that we have on Hyundai now is the same attitude that Lexus faced when it was introduced in US in 89 or so.. I leased an 89 LS400 with 35K MSRP for $500+ a month (remembered those day?). That was a time that German manufacturer dominated luxury car landscape and Acura just launched the Legend. Leasing a German car similar to an 89 LS400 back then would cost about 1000 or so a month and out of our price range. And I have/had 7 Lexus vechicle since (89 LS400, 91 LS400, 96 RX300, 98 GS400, 02 LS430, 02 SC430 and 08 LS460). In each case, I shopped around and Lexus always come back as the best ownership cost with similar equipment and driving experience.

My point is that MRSP does not determine the true cost of owning a car. The key is the reliability and resale value which affect ownership cost per year. We won't find out the true ownership cost for owning a Equus for a couple year. Would I buy Equus today? Absolutely not. The resale value down the line is so uncertain. The ownership cost can range from 7-10K per year to 14/15K per year. If Hyundai put together a good lease so that they assume the risk of low resale value down the road then we may have a deal.. currently, I paid about 13K a year (tax included) in lease payment for leasing an 08 LS460 that has MSRP of about 75K. If Equus ownership cost is in the range of 14-15K a year, why wouldn't I have a lexus instead at about 13K a year? However if the per year ownership cost is only 7K for Equus with similar equipment as in my LS, I would jump to Equus today.

One thing to keep in mind is that Lexus has been very slow to upgrade their products (shouldn't we have a new ES and IS already?? BMW and Mercedes are going to have new 7 series and new S class, shouldn't LS be refreshed pretty soon?). That is exactly the same problem German car had back when Lexus first lanuched their brand. Lexus is allowing other entrants into the luxury car market by not minding their own business..

Quick Reply: Hyundai v. Lexus?? (Equus)