LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Average man drive a LS 460 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 03:39 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
They should do better! Since last year at the height of the recession, just walking into SoCal Lexus dealerships, in any attire, even T-shirt etc, I would get approached within 2-3 minutes...those salesmen were hungry with the empty showrooms...

Yes but it is sweet to come back with the expensive car and the casual look, and watch their faces.

It's human nature though to stereotype socioeconomic status. I am reminded of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts' casual look gets little respect from Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive shopowners, and she comes back and makes big purchases, haha!

Well thats exactly how i felt..but well said...i dont blame them..I woudnt help myself either if i was in their shoes...I dont look like a baller..hahahah
Old 04-06-10, 03:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny735
Awesome reply everyone,

So check this out...I walked into a Lexus Dealership this morning,jeans,runners,ball cap,a zip up jacket...anyways...I was the only person in the dealership...It was about 1045am...everyone was either standing around,having a smoke,or pouring a cup of coffee...I stood around for 10 minutes no one came to my aid..not one customer in the showroom...I walked out without even one person acknowledging I was there.

I cant wait till I get my car...I am gonna go to that dealer to get a oil change...the look on there face priceless...on a side note the dealership had a 2010 white AWD LS SWB priced at 96K....and a 2010 LWB Black for 124K

Sorry to go off topic even though its my thread.
doesn't surprise me anymore. you have to hear all my stories about dealership people thinking i am just a kid and not worthy of anything -- until i leave and show them what i drive and they all cry regret
Old 04-06-10, 05:33 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome reply everyone,

So check this out...I walked into a Lexus Dealership this morning,jeans,runners,ball cap,a zip up jacket...anyways...I was the only person in the dealership...It was about 1045am...everyone was either standing around,having a smoke,or pouring a cup of coffee...I stood around for 10 minutes no one came to my aid..not one customer in the showroom...I walked out without even one person acknowledging I was there.

I cant wait till I get my car...I am gonna go to that dealer to get a oil change...the look on there face priceless...on a side note the dealership had a 2010 white AWD LS SWB priced at 96K....and a 2010 LWB Black for 124K

Sorry to go off topic even though its my thread.
I do this type of thing a lot because it's more comfortable and to judge other's reaction. I feel very fortunate to own an LS 460.

Greg
Old 04-06-10, 05:41 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I would consider myself the average Joe,not rich not poor...I told someone close to me today that I am looking for a LS 460L...and he goes why?

I said because for what you paid for your brand new Acura MDX)(full load)I can pick up a slightly used LS 460L.

He said are you an a executive?I said no,..I responded "I am just smart".

Whats your thoughts....do alot of you average people get alot of this?
What makes buying a used LS460L smart? Don't kid yourself, these Lexuses are very reliable, but as also very expensive to maintain, although they are a bit less expensive to maintain than their German counterparts.

What is the definition of "slightly used"? To me, a car that's 3 years old and already has 40k miles on it is just that much closer to the next major service. Maybe the ones you are looking at are newer and have fewer miles, but I don't think you can go ahead and make an apples to oranges comparison and then turn your nose up at someone who bought a new MDX.

That being said, you shouldn't feel bad for wanting what you want. It's not like you're buying a Hummer H2 or something.
Old 04-06-10, 06:05 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't kid yourself, these Lexuses are very reliable, but as also very expensive to maintain, although they are a bit less expensive to maintain than their German counterparts.
Very reliable? How about the most reliable production car EVER made? The world record holder for the reliability? Yup, that is the LS. They are only expensive if you go to a Lexus dealer for every single service. That is unnecessary and a waste of money. Something a simple as switching to a Toyota dealer will save you 20-30%, then going to an indy will save more, then doing stuff yourself will save even more. Its not exactly hard to change the cabin air filter or engine air filter yourself. That will save you 80% over Lexus dealer installation right there.
What is the definition of "slightly used"? To me, a car that's 3 years old and already has 40k miles on it is just that much closer to the next major service.
A car with 40k miles is also closer to the cost of a lower caliber car. You just saved $20,000 on the car, so what is a 40k mile service? Its a drop in the bucket (unless you like to spend $125/hour at the dealer).
Old 04-06-10, 06:41 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniz
Very reliable? How about the most reliable production car EVER made? The world record holder for the reliability? Yup, that is the LS. They are only expensive if you go to a Lexus dealer for every single service. That is unnecessary and a waste of money. Something a simple as switching to a Toyota dealer will save you 20-30%, then going to an indy will save more, then doing stuff yourself will save even more. Its not exactly hard to change the cabin air filter or engine air filter yourself. That will save you 80% over Lexus dealer installation right there.

A car with 40k miles is also closer to the cost of a lower caliber car. You just saved $20,000 on the car, so what is a 40k mile service? Its a drop in the bucket (unless you like to spend $125/hour at the dealer).

Some valid points...
Old 04-06-10, 06:54 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great points miniz! Great points!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-06-10, 07:11 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

They are only expensive if you go to a Lexus dealer for every single service.
What makes you think that this isn't true for an Acura, or any car for that matter?

It is true that the depreciation hits very hard in the first few years of Lexus, but this is also true of any luxury vehicle, including the Acura MDX.

I just don't buy the argument that "OH, for the price of a new car X, I can get a slightly used, older much better car Y!" The reason you could buy used car Y for that price is because it's only as desirable as a new car X at the time you want to buy the used car Y.

I still think the "because I'm smart" answer was kind of silly. The better answer would've been "because I love the car!"
Old 04-06-10, 07:35 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

If you have a set budget in mind, say $40k, then you can ALWAYS buy a better used car then a new car for the same amount of money. That is not a new notion. Lets say with $40k you can buy a nice new ES350 or a 3 year old LS460 with moderate to low mileage. The LS is a better and higher caliber car then the ES. Its not to say the ES is bad, its just the LS is better. AND to top it off, the first owner already ate $20k+ in depreciation that I don't have to. If buying a better car for less money isn't smarter, then I don't know what is.
Old 04-06-10, 07:52 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Very interesting thread. Glad you brought this up and no I think you are smart as well.

When I was in the market for a car I did not want a brand new entry level vehicle. I knew I would eventually get tired of it fast. I decided on getting a used GS400 and have not regretted it at all. Although it was used and I was the 2nd owner, it is smooth, powerful and looks great. I have no intentions at all to sell this vehicle anytime soon whereas im SURE if I purchased a new civic I would have been tired of it long ago.
Old 04-06-10, 07:53 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

If you have a set budget in mind, say $40k, then you can ALWAYS buy a better used car then a new car for the same amount of money. That is not a new notion. Lets say with $40k you can buy a nice new ES350 or a 3 year old LS460 with moderate to low mileage. The LS is a better and higher caliber car then the ES. Its not to say the ES is bad, its just the LS is better. AND to top it off, the first owner already ate $20k+ in depreciation that I don't have to. If buying a better car for less money isn't smarter, then I don't know what is.
Good post whenever i see the msrp on the new ES or similar models in that price range, I always think to myself "Damn i could get a used LS for this price instead"

Also to the person who posted earlier about their father only purchasing new, and stating that 'you are purchasing someone elses problems' this is so not true. People trade in/sell for MANY reasons. But many people just refuse to think that way. Usually they are just more ignorant when it comes to cars in general regarding maintenance, features, etc.

I have already decided that my next car purchase (which wont be for a good while) will be a used LS460.

Last edited by j stuff; 04-06-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 08:02 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't get an LS, but I understand where you are coming from.

I recently purchased a used CPO 2004 RX330 for $20K. I felt obligated to explain to people why I chose a used Lexus over a new 2010 base CRV or Rav 4. The warranty on the CPO is better (46K miles/3yrs), I enjoy the smooth ride of the Lexus and the technology features.

Should I? I did the same when I bought my 2008 TSX. I got it brand new for $26.5K. A V6 Honda Accord w/leather is more expensive. If I show up with the Accord, nobody says anything, with the Acura...ewww, an Acura.

I know maintenance is more expensive, but I enjoy the comfort and features of a luxury vehicle.

I'm not a flashy person at all, very quiet and reserved, but everyone thinks that because you have a Lexus, you must be rich. I am very money consious and like to treat myself to some luxury when I can afford it.
Old 04-06-10, 08:10 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tftimm
I didn't get an LS, but I understand where you are coming from.

I recently purchased a used CPO 2004 RX330 for $20K. I felt obligated to explain to people why I chose a used Lexus over a new 2010 base CRV or Rav 4. The warranty on the CPO is better (46K miles/3yrs), I enjoy the smooth ride of the Lexus and the technology features.
You can respond to anyone with.....Who's car is going to hold more residual resale value later? The base CRV/Rav4 that nobody will want to buy because it doesn't have any options, or your fully optioned vehicle that cost twice what the CRV/Rav cost new? I think you know the answer.
Old 04-06-10, 08:17 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Actually, the 5 years ownership cost of a fully loaded 2010 Acura MDX and 2007 LS460L AWD are almost identical, even including depreciation. If you need evidence, go ahead and look it up on Edmunds TCO. From a purely cost standpoint, buying a used LS460L isn't necessarily any smarter than buying a new MDX.

I don't know about you, but some people just like having a new car that is fully covered by a warranty. I know I would. That new car smell and seeing <1000 miles on the odometer is priceless!

Maybe I'm just a little bit more tolerant of other people's decisions, and I don't proclaim everything I do to be the "smartest" thing. There is no need to get worked up over this.
Old 04-06-10, 08:19 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

You can respond to anyone with.....Who's car is going to hold more residual resale value later? The base CRV/Rav4 that nobody will want to buy because it doesn't have any options, or your fully optioned vehicle that cost twice what the CRV/Rav cost new? I think you know the answer.
Probably a fully optioned CRV/Rav4 (as a percentage of original MSRP)...

Quick Reply: Average man drive a LS 460 ?