LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Average man drive a LS 460 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 08:54 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
Very interesting thread. Glad you brought this up and no I think you are smart as well.

When I was in the market for a car I did not want a brand new entry level vehicle. I knew I would eventually get tired of it fast. I decided on getting a used GS400 and have not regretted it at all. Although it was used and I was the 2nd owner, it is smooth, powerful and looks great. I have no intentions at all to sell this vehicle anytime soon whereas im SURE if I purchased a new civic I would have been tired of it long ago.
You nailed it..thats the point I was trying to get off...sorry if i sounded to blunt with the smart comment.
Old 04-07-10, 08:00 AM
98LS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about you, but some people just like having a new car that is fully covered by a warranty. I know I would. That new car smell and seeing <1000 miles on the odometer is priceless! (amcdonal86's quote)

My wife just got a certified "used" VW Tiguan with only 3600 miles. It still has the remaining factory warranty, then the certified warranty kicks in for two more years. Plus, the first three maintenance visits (10K, 20K, and 30K) are covered. We ended up saving 20% off the sticker of an untitled model. It even has the new car smell. So, that deal worked well for us.

I have to agree that it is exciting to be the original owner and put those first miles on the car. I've bought both new and used, I guess I just look for the best overall deal, which includes weighing the ownership costs.

Last edited by 98LS; 04-07-10 at 08:02 AM. Reason: To attribute quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:36 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miniz has great points. Some don't agree with Miniz but, I do. Its about choice I guess. For me after several new Lexus' and Benzes I was getting older(I was turning 29) and a person who worked at Lexus who was older than I and I considered a Role model being I knew of him since my 1st Lexus was driving a older LS. He had always driven a older Lexus. I couldnt figure out why until he explained why.

He explained how very little the changes were in the newer LS' and the older ones. He said"Yes, there are some extras in the newer LS' but, not enough to spend more $"! I was shocked. He even told me to think of getting my old lady a Toyota at one time and said" Its no difference in the entry level models than the more expensive Toyotas but, you save getting the Toyota"! This would have made him no money. Then he said,"Have you ever thought of buying used?"!

He explained how he purchased used because a new car was a waste of money! Had to heed his advice because he worked at LEXUS! Why would he turn down a sale from a guy he knew had the $! I was doing very well in the late 1990's financially. My point is when I heard of the benefits of what to buy and why from a person who worked for LEXUS I knew it was truth. I no longer see a benefit in a new car.

Cars arent like underwear or socks. People buy used clothes from the Salavation army and we buy clothes from Macy's etc. that have been tried on several times. Im NOT TRYING TO SWAY NEW CAR BUYERS! Im just saying,MINIZ has a point. I drive a ES when I get service and its usually pretty new. I have a older LS430 and cant wait to get my older car back. A used LS460 is way better than a ES model. A ES is way better than cars below it as well. Id rather have a used ES than a new IS or Corolla/Camry! Its a matter of level of features! A used 2007-2009 LS460 will be better than A New GS/Es any day. Its not a knock on the Camy/Corolla or IS/GS/Es because there GREAT cars to.

See BENZ/BMW for the same applies to a used 2207 S Class to a new 2010 E Class and a used 7 Series BMW to a new 5 series BMW! Id rather have the S-Class and the 7 Series used. Just better features and quality! Heck a Whopper Jr. is cheaper but, can't replace the Whopper(Thats if you eat Burger KIng,hahaha)! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 04-07-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 02:08 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Maybe the LS 460 L has a CEO image but anyone can appreciate it IMO.
Some day I hope to become an average joe. Currently I enjoy driving the LS400 every day and the LS430 on Sundays (if it doesn't rain LOL). On this globe Lexus image is very different. In Germany nobody buys an LS because it has no image. If you do not drive the S class in this country you can't be a CEO
Old 04-07-10, 02:39 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff

Also to the person who posted earlier about their father only purchasing new, and stating that 'you are purchasing someone elses problems' this is so not true. People trade in/sell for MANY reasons.
The problem with this is that you can never know if the original owner traded because he decided he didn't like the color of the glovebox lining or whether the car had fundamental problems he couldn't or wouldn't deal with.

And don't think the dealer will catch these problems and fix them ... most trades go right onto the lot and don't get driven more than a couple of miles moving them around on the dealership property before the next guy buys them. And most are sold "as-is". Yes, if there's warranty, it will probably get fixed - IF it can be fixed, and if warranty isn't denied due to abuse or non-standard parts, etc. Even if warrantied, you still have the issue of the car spending a lot of time in the dealership.

I am actually one of those people who trade a lot "just because", and not because the car has problems. BUT ... I think I'm not the norm in that respect. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't think most people waste a buttload of money trading early ... I figure there's usually a reason, and to buy someone else's lemon isn't my idea of fun.

So, I'm one of those guys who won't buy used. And I still think that's the safest policy.

Old 04-07-10, 05:20 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Actually, the 5 years ownership cost of a fully loaded 2010 Acura MDX and 2007 LS460L AWD are almost identical, even including depreciation. If you need evidence, go ahead and look it up on Edmunds TCO. From a purely cost standpoint, buying a used LS460L isn't necessarily any smarter than buying a new MDX.

I don't know about you, but some people just like having a new car that is fully covered by a warranty. I know I would. That new car smell and seeing <1000 miles on the odometer is priceless!

Maybe I'm just a little bit more tolerant of other people's decisions, and I don't proclaim everything I do to be the "smartest" thing. There is no need to get worked up over this.
You can't compare an MDX against an LS460L. You could compare an S550 against an LS460L, but comparing two different vehicles in two different classes is not right.
Old 04-07-10, 05:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The problem with this is that you can never know if the original owner traded because he decided he didn't like the color of the glovebox lining or whether the car had fundamental problems he couldn't or wouldn't deal with.

And don't think the dealer will catch these problems and fix them ... most trades go right onto the lot and don't get driven more than a couple of miles moving them around on the dealership property before the next guy buys them. And most are sold "as-is". Yes, if there's warranty, it will probably get fixed - IF it can be fixed, and if warranty isn't denied due to abuse or non-standard parts, etc. Even if warrantied, you still have the issue of the car spending a lot of time in the dealership.

I am actually one of those people who trade a lot "just because", and not because the car has problems. BUT ... I think I'm not the norm in that respect. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't think most people waste a buttload of money trading early ... I figure there's usually a reason, and to buy someone else's lemon isn't my idea of fun.

So, I'm one of those guys who won't buy used. And I still think that's the safest policy.

The percentage of lemons that are not identified on the used market is very low. Worrying about buying the prior owners' problems really only applies to older cars that are worth very little money and have been though several different owners. Buying late model cars is normally going to get you the best possible deal. You are wasting a lot of money by trading so often, but I can thank you for eating so much in depreciation for the rest of us! People with your old-skool mindset create the used cars that people like me buy.
Old 04-07-10, 05:26 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
You can't compare an MDX against an LS460L. You could compare an S550 against an LS460L, but comparing two different vehicles in two different classes is not right.
Tell that to the OP if you feel so strongly.
Old 04-08-10, 05:27 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Although I don't own an LS, I think if you bought it brand-new then people would look at you differently than if you bought it pre-owned. And Manny735, which Lexus dealer did you go to and got such bad treatment? I live in Vancouver too, just wondering which dealer it is.
Old 04-08-10, 06:19 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile While I respect your views.....

Originally Posted by akfd
Although I don't own an LS, I think if you bought it brand-new then people would look at you differently than if you bought it pre-owned. And Manny735, which Lexus dealer did you go to and got such bad treatment? I live in Vancouver too, just wondering which dealer it is.
...let me add, what people think is for those whom are insecure. This next question isn't directed at you fellow member. Here it is: You have 2 people one lives in a $600,000 home in Atlanta and drives a 2010 7 Series BMW and a 2010 LS460 Loaded(His wife drives this)! The 2 person lives in a $300,000 home also in Atlanta and drives a used 2008 S550 Benz and a 2007 GS which his spouse drives!

Between the 2, who is the most financially sound? Who is the happiest of the 2 couples. Who has the best credit? Who has credit card debt? Who paid cash for there car and who financed? My point is what we have isn't always a reflection of what were worth. There are different types of people who have different values. Now, I don't mean a person who buys expensive things doesnt have good values. I mean you can't judge people based on the year of there car nor the price of there home.

If any person or persons on this board met me I doubt they would ever guess I own businesses. Im not trying to sway anyone on this board. 36 years of LIFE has taught me this. You can never get people to think as you do nor act as you do. My post wasn't in any way an attempt to sway a person who feels a new car is better than a used one. My attempt was to get people to see that a used car can't define ones financial situation nor what one drives.

Warren Buffett, one of Americas most wealthy owns the same home in his home state he has for years and I think drives an American make and its nt new.

I put priority in value and were your money goes isnt up to me or anyone on this site to decide. DO YOU! Live your LIFE how you decide. Buying used is WISE, not cheap and buying new is WISE as well. Both choices are good choices but, like beauty its in the eye of the beholder.

WH cares what folks think. WE die and the worms eat us all. A car doesnt and will never define us. Our WISDOM and kind hearts and love for fellow man does.

P.S. Again, this wasnt said to offend but, was meant to give peace of mind to fellow members to DO THEM!!! If you break no LAWS, your no criminal. In todays financial climate even if your well of, saving a buck is WISE and used cars are a way to have our cake and eat it to. Also, the previous poster has a good point. People will think different of you buying used compared to new. A new car is always a great choice and I feel those who do so.L.G.N.M
Old 04-08-10, 08:02 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Hey man,

A used LS isnt cheap down here..you know that ...taxes in its still gonna cost you 70-80K...which is not what the average person drives.

I went to the one on Burrard,...walked in and stood around for 10 minutes..not one customer...then I left.
Old 04-08-10, 08:03 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usermel
...let me add, what people think is for those whom are insecure. This next question isn't directed at you fellow member. Here it is: You have 2 people one lives in a $600,000 home in Atlanta and drives a 2010 7 Series BMW and a 2010 LS460 Loaded(His wife drives this)! The 2 person lives in a $300,000 home also in Atlanta and drives a used 2008 S550 Benz and a 2007 GS which his spouse drives!

Between the 2, who is the most financially sound? Who is the happiest of the 2 couples. Who has the best credit? Who has credit card debt? Who paid cash for there car and who financed? My point is what we have isn't always a reflection of what were worth. There are different types of people who have different values. Now, I don't mean a person who buys expensive things doesnt have good values. I mean you can't judge people based on the year of there car nor the price of there home.

If any person or persons on this board met me I doubt they would ever guess I own businesses. Im not trying to sway anyone on this board. 36 years of LIFE has taught me this. You can never get people to think as you do nor act as you do. My post wasn't in any way an attempt to sway a person who feels a new car is better than a used one. My attempt was to get people to see that a used car can't define ones financial situation nor what one drives.

Warren Buffett, one of Americas most wealthy owns the same home in his home state he has for years and I think drives an American make and its nt new.

I put priority in value and were your money goes isnt up to me or anyone on this site to decide. DO YOU! Live your LIFE how you decide. Buying used is WISE, not cheap and buying new is WISE as well. Both choices are good choices but, like beauty its in the eye of the beholder.

WH cares what folks think. WE die and the worms eat us all. A car doesnt and will never define us. Our WISDOM and kind hearts and love for fellow man does.

P.S. Again, this wasnt said to offend but, was meant to give peace of mind to fellow members to DO THEM!!! If you break no LAWS, your no criminal. In todays financial climate even if your well of, saving a buck is WISE and used cars are a way to have our cake and eat it to. Also, the previous poster has a good point. People will think different of you buying used compared to new. A new car is always a great choice and I feel those who do so.L.G.N.M
Well said...I real agree with the used cars are a way to have our cake and eat it to.
Old 04-08-10, 08:11 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
The percentage of lemons that are not identified on the used market is very low. Worrying about buying the prior owners' problems really only applies to older cars that are worth very little money and have been though several different owners. Buying late model cars is normally going to get you the best possible deal. You are wasting a lot of money by trading so often, but I can thank you for eating so much in depreciation for the rest of us! People with your old-skool mindset create the used cars that people like me buy.
LOL. Not "old-skool mindset" - just different-skool mindset.

As long as I can afford to trade often and I enjoy doing so, it's my business, and as you say ... I generate used vehicles for others (who, honestly ... I think have old-skool mentality. After all, decades ago my dad thought like you do and bought used cars.)

The REALLY old-school (I HAD to clean up that spelling!) mentality in my opinion is the guy who buys a used car and keeps it for 5 more years, thinking he's squeezing every dollar of value out of it. Kind of like a former father-in-law, who would get a new shirt for Christmas, then put it in a drawer until the one he had wore out.

I consider both the used car and the new shirt in the drawer to be false economy. But that's just me.

Old 04-08-10, 08:27 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Manny735
Hey man,

A used LS isnt cheap down here..you know that ...taxes in its still gonna cost you 70-80K...which is not what the average person drives.

I went to the one on Burrard,...walked in and stood around for 10 minutes..not one customer...then I left.
I totally agree with you; buying a 2007 LS costs quite a bit more than what the average man drives, but unfortunately in this society where people look at what you possess, rather than what you believe in, will treat one differently. My friend, who is a lawyer, walked into a jewelry store at Oakridge to look at some watches (guess which shop!!), and no one greeted him because he wore a crumpled T-shirt and some ugly dirty jeans that day. A few weeks, later, he walked into the same store, this time in a nice suit, and he was greeted within minutes. Can't blame the salesperson, he doesn't know my friend, so the only things that he can rely on to get a first image is what my friend has on his body.
Old 04-08-10, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to be honestly, i don't think so at all. people wouldn't know (and honestly, care) if you get your car new or not. i know i won't care if someone got his car new or used. a car is a car, nice car is a nice car, period.

Quick Reply: Average man drive a LS 460 ?