LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How do you remove the console cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 02:09 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How do you remove the console cover?

You know - the padded part where your arm rests.

Mine has developed a permanent "dent" where my elbow rests, and I'd like to get in there and rearrange or rework the padding. But I can't tell how to get the top off that thing.

There appears to be a square plastic panel on the underside of the cover itself - do you pry that off to get access to screws or something?

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 04-08-10, 02:26 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Can't be done, your only alternative is trade the car in for a 2010.

Sorry Mike, I am of no help.

Seriously though, if you don't get any help here, try a good auto body place in your area. I have an excellent one near me and he can take anything apart and repair it. And if he can't do it, he knows someone who can.
Old 04-08-10, 04:17 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe these pics will help:
Pull off rear A/C vents, then there are four bolts that hold the console on.
Attached Thumbnails How do you remove the console cover?-vents.jpg   How do you remove the console cover?-cover.jpg  
Old 04-08-10, 08:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, Joel. But I'm not sure this gets the top cover (the lid) off. This looks like it will leave me with the whole console in hand, but the lid still attached.

Surely there's a way to get just the hinged lid off without pulling the console ...

Old 04-09-10, 04:42 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike...probably need to remove the entire console to access the screws from underneath that hold the cover on.

I'm experiencing the same thing in my car. I'm going to ask that the 'fix' be covered under warranty, but I'm gonna wait till my warranty is almost over.

I'm not leasing, so I'll want he repair to last as long as possible after the warranty period is up.

Don't you want enquire if Park Place will fix this for you?
Old 04-09-10, 05:28 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlawr
Mike...probably need to remove the entire console to access the screws from underneath that hold the cover on.

I'm experiencing the same thing in my car. I'm going to ask that the 'fix' be covered under warranty, but I'm gonna wait till my warranty is almost over.

I'm not leasing, so I'll want he repair to last as long as possible after the warranty period is up.

Don't you want enquire if Park Place will fix this for you?
I considered asking about warranty, but I figured they'd just tell me it's normal wear and tear. Like, your big fatass elbow is the problem, buddy.

I'm surprised to hear it's also a problem with black interiors. *

* (It's a private joke, folks.)
Old 04-11-10, 09:11 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my armrest replaced under warranty when the car was a year old. It is now 7 months later and the new one is doing the same thing. I am going to talk to my service adviser about the problem. I use the armrest a lot and have never had this happen in any of my other cars. I believe the foam that Lexus is using is the problem. It seems to be thin and is not able to recover to the original thickness, causing the depression to become permanent.

I leased my car but may consider buying it at the end of the lease. I might just wait until closer to the lease end to have the armrest top replaced again.
Old 04-11-10, 03:30 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

+1. Same here. El-cheapo foam!!!!!
Old 04-19-10, 03:04 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Just as a follow-up, I was in to the dealer today for an oil change and pointed out the dented arm rest to my service advisor.

When he came to get me to tell me the car was ready, he said a new cover would be here on Wednesday. Covered by warranty.

Thanks, CL!

Old 04-19-10, 03:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, now that's great service!!!!!
Old 04-20-10, 08:13 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

WOW. Kudos to the SA. I am hesitant to even to ask my dealer to do any work that will be visible to me and requires some common sense, especially after the disaster with the front seat bottoms TSIB.
Old 04-20-10, 08:19 AM
JKN2000
Pit Crew

When I first got the car, I did notice the foam in the armrest is not as firm as other cars, which I believe it would leave a possible permanent indention in the arm rest. So I'm careful not to elbow it as much.

But I agree, there should be a fix for this soft foam. Eventually it would dent permanently and worse off, crack the leather if not well maintained.

But yeah, will have to get warranty to change it out when warranty is near end of term.
Old 04-20-10, 11:33 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JKN2000
When I first got the car, I did notice the foam in the armrest is not as firm as other cars, which I believe it would leave a possible permanent indention in the arm rest. So I'm careful not to elbow it as much.

But I agree, there should be a fix for this soft foam. Eventually it would dent permanently and worse off, crack the leather if not well maintained.

But yeah, will have to get warranty to change it out when warranty is near end of term.
My elbow enjoys the softness of the foam, but it should hold up better. It's not like my elbow weighs 100 lbs or anything. It looks like the foam either crumbles or just takes a "set" and doesn't rebound after being compressed a little.

Either way, it's substandard IMO.