LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise is getting worse...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 04:35 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts
Talking Wind Noise is getting worse...

The wind noise has been getting worse on our 07... anyone else having issues?

Never will we buy a first year car again.. wind noise/DI noise.. other than that, pretty solid machine...

Should be applying Jeff's fix... (have the silicone and instructions ready to go) but not getting enough free time to get it to work..
Old 04-12-10, 05:23 PM
Maurice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wind noise on my (former) LS 460 '07 was never resolved. After the windows were changed and the fix got applied, it helped for a while but returned soon thereafter and then kept getting worse. (I never did Jeff's fix)

It finally got resolved by the lease ending last month and it no longer being my problem. I wonder if Lexus will disclose to the next buyer all the documented complaints about the wind noise on this unit. (they seem to "loose" some documentation). I no longer lease a Lexus...

Last edited by Maurice; 04-15-10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-10, 05:31 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wind noise on my '07 460 did not become evident until 3-4 months into my ownership. The warranty fix made most of it disappear. There was some minor residual noise, however I traded the car in after 16 months for the 600. There is no discernible wind noise after 35K miles on this one.
Old 04-15-10, 09:43 AM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my 07 LS about a month ago and noticed it had wind noise. Tried the JMCraney triangle fix and it did not work - sigh. Took it in for all the tsib fixes. They replaced the driver/passenger windows with lamisafe glass. Injected some foam in the front upper side of the doors, replaced the weather stripping around the door and replaced the seals on the two windshield pillars for cross wind. There is this tech at lexus of orlando (Jim) who has been fixing wind noise for three years and is apparently the "go to guy". They said the triangle fix does not work which confused me because I read that is has worked for so many. They took the triangle fix that I put on off, and said it makes the black triangle stick out too far. They did not touch the mirror so I put a bead of clear silicon adhesive in the crevice between the mirrors and the doors. Don't hear any wind noise now till about 80 MPH.
Old 04-15-10, 10:14 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this talk about wind noise as actually got me looking forward to it..hahahah not really...my cars gonna be here next Monday..so I will report back with details if I get any wind action
Old 04-15-10, 10:28 AM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by wsteiner
Got my 07 LS about a month ago and noticed it had wind noise. Tried the JMCraney triangle fix and it did not work - sigh. Took it in for all the tsib fixes. They replaced the driver/passenger windows with lamisafe glass. Injected some foam in the front upper side of the doors, replaced the weather stripping around the door and replaced the seals on the two windshield pillars for cross wind. There is this tech at lexus of orlando (Jim) who has been fixing wind noise for three years and is apparently the "go to guy". They said the triangle fix does not work which confused me because I read that is has worked for so many. They took the triangle fix that I put on off, and said it makes the black triangle stick out too far. They did not touch the mirror so I put a bead of clear silicon adhesive in the crevice between the mirrors and the doors. Don't hear any wind noise now till about 80 MPH.
For over 15 years I looked forward to my new LS lease every 3 years. Until the '07 when I just looked forward to the lease ending. I left the brand because of it. I was concerned I may not be pleased with a competitor. So far I discovered that not only do I enjoy the BMW, but find it far superior to the LS in many ways. However, I had so many exceptional LS cars, particularly the '04, that I will certainly take a look in 2012 as to what they are offering (though I am thinking of an European delivery experience next time). I see two main problems with the wind noise - the design defect itself and Lexus' arrogance that it is not a problem.
Old 04-15-10, 01:07 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by wsteiner
wsteiner,

Congratulations on getting your car fixed. I am sorry the triangle fix didn't work for you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience with everyone. It reinforces the position that the wind noise is not imaginary and it is not normal. Those of you who still have a problem, DON'T GIVE UP!!! As for the comment "the triangle fix does not work": All I can say is "Aw-shucks," I really thought they would have something nice to say about me.
Old 04-16-10, 11:30 AM
memphisLS
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to do the jmcraney fix this weekend and i'll let you know how mine turns out. i may just go ahead and throw some clear silicone on there while i'm at it. thanks for the info...
Old 04-16-10, 12:10 PM
jmcraney

memphisLS,

Check the Private Messages feature on this site for a message.
Old 04-16-10, 02:47 PM
jmcraney

To anyone planning on doing the "triangle fix" - your odds of success will be improved if you will use the procedure that begins at Post #406 in the Wind Noise Fix Discussion at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ussion-28.html

If you want higher resolution pictures and a recommendation for removing the trim you can contact me through the Private Mail feature and I will send that stuff to you in an email.
Old 04-23-10, 10:31 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

OK folks. Here is some new information. Recently, I discovered that the plastic trim piece that I had installed many months ago by doing Jeff's fix was getting rather loose. I believe the problem stemmed from the fact that when I was removing the piece way back then, I cracked it slightly with all the pressure I was applying trying to remove it.

BTW, the reason I was removing it was because I wanted to do the new and improved jmcraney fix with the thin sheet metal. Well, even then I noticed that it was not lying flat when I was installing the slightly cracked trim piece. But I thought it would be OK. But in recent months, it was getting looser and looser at the top and bottom of the trim (because it was not flat). So, I decided to order a new trim and do the jmcraney fix the right way. This time when I tried to remove it, I hardly had to apply any pressure. It came off much too easily. Also, the thin sheet metal came off and it was stuck in back of the plastic trim. It appears that black sealant (from the original fix) in back of the trim was not very compatible with the white sealant that I used to install the new fix.

To make a long story short, I did the fix again about a week ago and I could not be any more pleased. In recent months I was not really hearing much in the way of wind noise, but I thought I was getting too much external noise. When a car or especially a truck would pass me, it was rather loud. With the new installation, it is very quiet. As Jeff describes his own car after he performed his own invention, it is "tomb-like" quiet. One other note that I should add here is that the white sealant is much better to work with and is easier to clean than that black sealant.

I cannot say it enough times. Jeff is an individual that very much cares about others and we should all continue to be very thankful for people like jmcraney.
Old 04-23-10, 06:12 PM
jayjay3452
Driver School Candidate

^^^ thinks for the input.... i will definitely try this if i can any noise on my 07.
Old 04-23-10, 07:20 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
OK folks. Here is some..........

I cannot say it enough times. Jeff is an individual that very much cares about others and we should all continue to be very thankful for people like jmcraney.
+1. Fully concur. Jeff - Thank You.

I also had just recently redone the trim fix using the pre-cut sheet metal provided by Jeff at no cost to me. I am very happy with the fix.