LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Time to move on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 06:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I intend to report back here on this very topic and others as well. The RX, HS and GX are state-of-the-art for now with features that will soon make their way over to other platforms. The remote touch device is quite innovative with tactile feedback from triggered events on the screen. The pointer moves smoothly until it meets and snaps to buttons that were pressed on the former touch screen. Where the screen has only one or two buttons, the action is smooth and seamless. However, on a keyboard image, the device's feedback chatters along from one letter to another. At first this is a little annoying, but one gets used to the feel. I didn't think I would favour the Remote Touch method over the Touch, but I've changed my mind. There will be some that take exception to it, but if one is comfortable with mouse, or roller ball type input systems, then it should be a plus.

The menu structure is definitely improved, and more user friendly. The Bluetooth menu is much easier to set up, and even has voice assist if needed. The battery & signal icons now work with ordinary GSM phones, and not just with iPhones & Blackberrys. Lexus Personalized Settings are now in the hands of the owner with the Navi feature. HDD music storage is not available, but this is amply made up with the USB connector. Finally, ipods and iphones and other mp3 players will display folders, songs, etc on the screen...

I just picked up the car an hour ago, so I haven't programmed the Homelink nor used the VoiceBox feature just yet, but I hear these are a major improvement over the previous variety. I have the HUD feature, and that by itself is a BIG addition, pulling the driver's attention front forward where it should be rather than scanning back and forth to the Navi screen.

I'll get some pics up soon...

Last edited by Johnny; 04-21-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:00 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

did u get the 350 or the 450h? Just wondering...
Old 04-21-10, 07:12 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
did u get the 350 or the 450h? Just wondering...
My exact question also which one? I sure hope it is a RX450h.
Old 04-21-10, 07:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, enquiring minds want to know...regular or gas-electric hybrid? Considering coming from a 600h...

Originally Posted by Burnaby

I just picked up the car an hour ago, so I haven't programmed the Homelink nor used the VoiceBox feature just yet, but I hear these are a major improvement over the previous variety. I have the HUD feature, and that by itself is a BIG addition, pulling the driver's attention front forward where it should be rather than scanning back and forth to the Navi screen.

I'll get some pics up soon...
Ah, an hour ago--he's probably out testing the gadgets. Heads-up display FTW!
Old 04-21-10, 09:53 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

The RX350 w/Sport package. I really wanted to get the 450h, but the way it is bundled in Canada's "low volume" market, it would have cost me another $15K for a new one. My big wants were HUD, Navi, those nice 19" gray chrome wheels, and for the 350 anyway this meant the "Made in Japan" edition. The only other way to get HUD up here would be the Ultra. The 450 with equivalent wants could only be had in the Ultra. I also was not fond of the split spoke 19s on the hybrid. Further, the Ultra's headrest mounted monitors were not my cup of tea (no rugrats at this stage of my life). Besides, in the US this is an option that can be added/deleted, and I could have bought it in Seattle for the price of the 350 Sport. Also, the semi-aniline leather in the Ultra is just too nice for a rough and tumble guy like me. The sidecam, ML sound, LED headlights and PCS didn't tweak any interest. ML was nice, but I didn't listen to it enough to warrant getting it again, and it's not secret here that I'm not a fan of LED headlights.

My dealer had an Ultra 450h with 8K miles on it, and I could have negotiated a deal for an extra $5K, but after surveying it, those aforementioned dislikes stared back at me and said, "You'll be sorry". Anyway, I'm very happy with the purchase, and I guess that's all that counts.

Pics tomorrow, but probably in the RX forum.

Last edited by Johnny; 04-22-10 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-21-10, 10:35 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

nice choice.. i was just wondering if a former hybrid owner would go buy another hybrid.. i know my family won't.
Old 04-21-10, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
The RX350 w/Sport package. I really wanted to get the 450h, but the way it is bundled in Canada's "low volume" market, it would have cost me another $15K for a new one. My big wants were HUD, Navi, those nice 19" gray chrome wheels, in other words, the Made in Japan edition. The 450 with equivalent wants could only be had in the Ultra. I also was not fond of the split spoke 19s on the hybrid. Further, the Ultra's headrest mounted monitors were not my cup of tea (no rugrats at this stage of my life). Besides, in the US this is an option that can be added/deleted, and I could have bought it in Seattle for the price of the 350 Sport. Also, the semi-aniline leather in the Ultra is just too nice for a rough and tumble guy like me. The sidecam, ML sound, LED headlights and PCS didn't tweak any interest. ML was nice, but I didn't listen to it enough to warrant getting it again, and it's not secret here that I'm not a fan of LED headlights.

My dealer had an Ultra 450h with 8K miles on it, and I could have negotiated a deal for an extra $5K, but after surveying it, those aforementioned dislikes stared back at me and said, "You're be sorry". Anyway, I'm very happy with the purchase, and I guess that's all that counts.

Pics tomorrow, but probably in the RX forum.
i never follow the new rx, so some of the hybrids are made in japan and some made here in NA?

rx is a solid car for sure!!! gl with the new car!
Old 04-21-10, 11:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i never follow the new rx, so some of the hybrids are made in japan and some made here in NA?

rx is a solid car for sure!!! gl with the new car!
From what I understand, the RXh is made in Japan, along with some RX, while most RX 350s sold here are made in Canada.
Old 04-21-10, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
From what I understand, the RXh is made in Japan, along with some RX, while most RX 350s sold here are made in Canada.
ok that's what i thought. i guess i misunderstood burnaby's post a bit. he probably mean he wants to get rx350 with the HUD and other goodies thus making sure the car is made in japan

to be honest, if i get the rx i would prefer one coming from japan too
Old 04-22-10, 07:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Sorry to see you trading your 600hL, but the RX is an awesome vehicle too that will suit your needs more, so congrats So Leo got another sale ?
Old 04-22-10, 10:33 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Yeah, Leo likes it when I come around...

First time I've walked out of a car dealer with a fat cheque.

Hard to believe that guy's 53 years young...