LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Time to move on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 07:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Time to move on!

With one year on the 460, and two years on the 600, I've been pampered and spoiled owning these two amazing cars. Alas, my feet have been getting itchy, and I must answer the call of a distant drummer. Unfortunately, the space constraints of the car, and its limited functionality for outdoor activities (golf, skiing, hiking, camping, etc...) have left me wanting, and so I'm trading the car in for a RX. I would like to have had both, but I cannot bring myself to owning two vehicles - philosophically it just doesn't work for me. I've had sometimes up to 4 vehicles on the road, and acquiring the 460 in the first place combined two into one.

Nevertheless, I will continue to post on CL in the RX & photography forums, and will also lurk in here contributing whenever I can drawing from my own experience. I am taking delivery of the new car tomorrow, and it will be sad to walk away from the 600 as it has been a trusted steed never faltering. The features I will miss are APGS, Brake Hold, Door Closers, the silky ECVT transmission, the amazing hybrid powerplant, and the well executed exterior design that trumps any that are extruded by Lexus's German counterparts today, imho.

The current Gen LS owners are a great bunch that I especially look forward to interacting with. I have made some great friendships here, even if we have never ever met - amazing, isn't it? There is probably another LS in my future, but for the time being, the call of the wild in me is unrelenting, so I must respond to it and get out there now...

Au revoir my dear friends!
Old 04-20-10, 07:17 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had a chance to chat but I read some of your posts over the last month or so..before deciding to take the leap on my LS..very informative to say the least....great asset you are to the CL and especially the LS group...take care and best of luck with the RX.
Old 04-20-10, 07:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well when you've got that itch I guess you gotta scratch it! Glad to hear your staying in the Lexus family, I assume going for the new 3RX? I like the new generation a lot, but in either gen the RX's longtime utility will come in handy for golf, skiing, hiking, camping, and other outdoor adventures. Thanks so much for your contributions to the forum over the years, and you are still most welcome in the LS forums!
Old 04-20-10, 07:33 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the RX...damn must have been hard to leave the 600...
Old 04-20-10, 08:22 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always found your input to be of high value, so thank you for your contributions, your obviously a well educated and articulate individual that enjoys life!

best of luck with the RX

CMasten
Old 04-20-10, 09:49 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
going from the 600 to the RX is like going from ruth's chris to applebees
Hey, sometimes you got to slum it a little.
Old 04-20-10, 09:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, as someone who's driven both the 3LS and 2RX back-to-back, I think that while of course the LS is a cut above, and is rightfully the flagship, the 2RX remains true to Lexus virtues, plus nowadays with the 3RX it offers its own suite of techie features (Remote Touch in particular, plus also HUD, etc), and has a very efficient hybrid performance powertrain option. Also with the higher grade leather, more expressive styling, and more car-like interior, the RX is now more upscale than before.

The other big difference I felt with the LS vs. RX was that with the RX I wasn't as afraid to get the car dirty, or to treat it a bit more roughly with cargo loading, driving conditions, etc. It's very adaptable, almost like a Swiss Army knife of luxury vehicles. The LS is more like a Rolex, and succeeds at what it does remarkably well. Anyhow, whatever works for you...with many luxury vehicles, you're (corrected apostrophe) in good hands.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-10, 02:06 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Will miss your contributions on the LS600hL, I consider your posts to be very concise, informative, and well respected. I know the RX section will greatly benefit from your posts. Also, like your posts and pictures in the photography forum. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-10, 02:21 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-21-10, 06:24 AM
Patric
Pole Position

I have always enjoyed your knowledgeable and enlightning posts.

Moving from the 600 I'm guessing you have purchased a fully optioned Hybrid but I hope you enjoy your new RX to the max no matter which one you have.

I must admit that an RX would be more practical for the bulk of my lifestyle. Perhaps one day.

Don't be a stranger.

Pat

Last edited by Patric; 04-21-10 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:46 AM
TheRealtor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thermactor
going from the 600 to the RX is like going from ruth's chris to applebees
hahaha...good one but don't tell my wife that. i have a ls460l and she has the rx400h. it will be hard to downgrade tho. two very very nice cars given what is out there. best of luck.
Old 04-21-10, 08:40 AM
LexFather

I've enjoyed your posts, GL with the RX!
Old 04-21-10, 09:07 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Burnaby, no one understands the call of the wild more than I (having had 5 new cars in the last 5 years). And like you, I folded two vehicles into one when I got the LS.

Not having a utility vehicle of some kind is something else I understand well, so an RX makes sense. I had an RX300 a few years back and it was a nice vehicle ... no LS, of course, but commendably comfy for an SUV. And the new-gen RX is a couple of cuts above the one I had.

Thanks for your insights and contributions to this forum. Drop in often.

Old 04-21-10, 12:35 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck with your new RX. Please check back often...
Old 04-21-10, 12:47 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

...love to hear your impressions of the NAV in the new RX vs the touchscreen in the LS

Quick Reply: Time to move on!