LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone changed the engine air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 10:06 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone changed the engine air filter?

I haven't taken the covers off yet to look, but I notice the owner's manual doesn't give any hints on changing the engine air filter.

I used to do all this kind of stuff myself, but they've made everything harder than it used to be. And the dealer charges to do simple things like this are usually more than they should be.

Anyone done this, and have any tips?

EDIT: NEVER MIND.

The air filter elements are easily accessible under the silver-colored engine cover via simple snap-clasp latches.

The problem seems to be finding the filters (there are two - one on each side). The most-advertised one is a K&N "performance" one, but they'll set you back $50 or more apiece. And good luck finding them locally. Best bet is probably to order them online. Or give up and buy them from Lexus parts.

Turns out mine look pristine, even after 33,000 miles. I couldn't even get any debris to shake out of them by pounding them upside-down on concrete.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 04-24-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 02:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, after 33k and it still looks good? that's something (make sure you are looking at the bottom side of the air filter, that's where all the dust are). mine at 40k and it looked gross

imho, just get the factory ones
Old 04-24-10, 03:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

After learning the OEM prices ($55 each), I pulled mine out, inspected them, and blew some compressed air through them (backward) to clean and see if they were allowing a good passage of air through, and found them to be acceptable. They looked very clean initially. There was some minor accumulation of dirt in the ductwork entrance which I cleaned out. If you are not doing any significant driving on dirt roads, I would guess they could easily go for 50K miles. I'm sure Lexus would like them swapped every 25K, but they are probably considering the worst case scenario.

K&N makes a washable one for $35, and it's available on Ebay.

Last edited by Johnny; 04-24-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 03:59 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, after 33k and it still looks good? that's something (make sure you are looking at the bottom side of the air filter, that's where all the dust are). mine at 40k and it looked gross

imho, just get the factory ones
Actually, the dust would on the top side, since the air comes in the ducts, then down through the filters to the engine.

But, yes, I was looking at the correct side.

Old 04-24-10, 04:02 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
After learning the OEM prices ($55 each), I pulled mine out, inspected them, and blew some compressed air through them (backward) to clean and see if they were allowing a good passage of air through, and found them to be acceptable. They looked very clean initially. There was some minor accumulation of dirt in the ductwork entrance which I cleaned out. If your are not doing any significant driving on dirt roads, I would guess they could easily go for 50K miles. I'm sure Lexus would like them swapped every 25K, but they are probably considering the worst case scenario.

K&N makes a washable one for $35, and it's available on Ebay.
Thanks, Burn. Actually, I checked ebay, since I got my cabin filter there, and the cheapest I saw for the K&N's was about $45 each. And by the time you pay shipping costs, you might as well buy them from Lexus!

Thanks for the tip, though. And like you say, unless you drive in dusty conditions, I think those sucker would go 50k!

Old 04-24-10, 04:07 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Here's an update - I found them here http://www.lexpartsworld.com/scripts...?idproduct=306 for $24 each before shipping, if anyone is interested.

The parts number (sku) is 17801 38010.

Old 04-24-10, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Actually, the dust would on the top side, since the air comes in the ducts, then down through the filters to the engine.

But, yes, I was looking at the correct side.

oh?! air comes in from the top down the filter and then go into the throttle body? that sounds different from other cars i have seen. usually the air is sucked in, go down to the air box, back up through the filter, and then straight to throttle body

interesting
Old 04-24-10, 05:15 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Thanks, Burn. Actually, I checked ebay, since I got my cabin filter there, and the cheapest I saw for the K&N's was about $45 each. And by the time you pay shipping costs, you might as well buy them from Lexus!
You're right, I was going from memory (and that's not always good ). The reason I was zeroing on the K&Ns was the wash'ability, but after examining the ones on the car, I gave up on changing altogether. You and I know where Toyota sources a lot of its parts nowadays, so the clone you've found above likely comes out of the same plant - not unlike the cabin filter.
Old 04-24-10, 07:49 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Rom - you are right and I was wrong.

I was in a hurry and misread the plumbing the first time ... the air comes in from the bottom and passes up through the filter before going into the engine.

I took both filters out this time and blew them out - blowing from the top down through the filter media. I can tell you, though, that with 33,500 miles on the clock, the filters were amazingly clean. I spread the pleats with my fingers and couldn't find anything visible. When I blew the filters out with compressed air, there was a tiny puff of fine dust and that was it.

I must live a clean life.

Old 04-24-10, 10:16 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

One Texas dust storm can put an end to that...
Old 04-24-10, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahhaa way better than us here in cali. i guess even by not driving the car at all the filter will still get dirty!
Old 04-25-10, 07:30 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...9&model=LS 460

Enter part number on the left: 17801-38010
$20.73 each (OEM Toyota parts, not after market)
Old 04-25-10, 08:20 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I took both filters out this time and blew them out - blowing from the top down through the filter media. I can tell you, though, that with 33,500 miles on the clock, the filters were amazingly clean. I spread the pleats with my fingers and couldn't find anything visible. When I blew the filters out with compressed air, there was a tiny puff of fine dust and that was it.

Didn't Lexus change the filters for you when they fixed the engine?
Old 04-25-10, 02:16 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JFNash
Didn't Lexus change the filters for you when they fixed the engine?
That's a good question! I need to go find the paperwork and see. They of course had to change the oil and oil filter, but I don't know about the air cleaner elements.

I'll check later.

Old 04-25-10, 02:18 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
One Texas dust storm can put an end to that...
Ah, you've been here, huh?

Quick Reply: Anyone changed the engine air filter?