LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bridgestone EL42 tires - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 03:37 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Bridgestone EL42 tires - Feedback?

I frankly don't like Bridgestone tires, but it seems all 2010 LS460's in the entire Southern Zone of Lexus (from CA across to FL) are coming equipped with the 5-spoke 19" wheels and Bridgestone EL42's as "standard" equipment.

So, who has them and what is your experience with them?

Tire Rack reviews almost all say the wet traction is bad and the wear is rapid, but I'd be interested in real-life feedback.

Old 04-26-10, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

funny you brought this up mike

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-ls-460l.html

honestly i would never really give a damn about the factory tires. both the bridgestone and dunlop suck big time. hard, loud, no traction, wear fast...
Old 04-26-10, 05:40 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
funny you brought this up mike

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-ls-460l.html

honestly i would never really give a damn about the factory tires. both the bridgestone and dunlop suck big time. hard, loud, no traction, wear fast...
Interesting. The dealer is trying to get me to trade now, since Lexus is offering me a pull-ahead (excusing my last 6 payments), and I'm hung up on the (IMO) ugly 5-spoke 19's. He said he'd happily swap the wheels and tires for the ones on my '08 LS (18's), and I just may do it. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about the Bridgestones OR the ride quality.

Old 04-26-10, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah, they are allowing you to return the car 6 months before lease end huh, same here

so you are thinking about going to another ls460, but the 19s? if you do that, make sure it's on paper so when you return the next car they won't say it doesn't match the sticker. and also i would ask them to give you discount too. 19s are more expensive than 18s, plus the 19s are with new tires, your 18s are used already
Old 04-26-10, 06:05 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

ah, they are allowing you to return the car 6 months before lease end huh, same here

so you are thinking about going to another ls460, but the 19s? if you do that, make sure it's on paper so when you return the next car they won't say it doesn't match the sticker. and also i would ask them to give you discount too. 19s are more expensive than 18s, plus the 19s are with new tires, your 18s are used already
Yep, the GM already said the wheel swap wouldn't be a problem with the lease, as they'd note it n the paperwork. As for the tires, I'd require them to give me a set of new Michelins on my old wheels so I'd start out on new rubber.

I wasn't even aware Lexus did the pull-ahead thing, but that's what they're doing - and it's a killer deal for me because I'm $5,000 upside down and they'll eat it! It's almost too tempting to turn down.

Old 04-26-10, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, for customers with good credit, they usually offer to take the car back 6 months before lease end as long as you lease or buy another one. specially if you are over mileage already (for the time you have now) it's always a great deal. i always wonder how the list works. i have been on the list a few times, but i know not everyone gets on it

good if they are putting on new michelin on the car, but still i would ask for discount on the cap cost, 19s are still more expensive than 18s
Old 04-26-10, 07:17 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, for customers with good credit, they usually offer to take the car back 6 months before lease end as long as you lease or buy another one. specially if you are over mileage already (for the time you have now) it's always a great deal. i always wonder how the list works. i have been on the list a few times, but i know not everyone gets on it

good if they are putting on new michelin on the car, but still i would ask for discount on the cap cost, 19s are still more expensive than 18s
Rom - the PS nav override will work on the 2010, right?

Old 04-27-10, 11:04 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The 19" Bridgestone EL42s on 600 I just traded in were almost bald, with extreme heavy wear on the corners; the car had 35K miles on the odometer, and I did a 5-tire rotation throughout my ownership. My dealer balked and sneered knowing he would have to replace them before he would put the car up for sale, but I negotiated the trade before he had a look at them. (In the end, I paid $90K and traded it in for $70K. $20K depreciation over a two year span is quite acceptable for this car.)

So yeah, wear-wise the EL42s are pure junk compared to the car they are mounted on...
Old 04-27-10, 12:38 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are CRAP!!! I had 11K on my tires and they were comletely bald. Lexus tried to tell me that it's due to my driving habits. I said BS and requested new tires. After a quick call to corporate, I had 3 new tires. (one of them was recently replaced because of the puncture)
Michelins would be much better.

BTW, nice to see that you are still considering LS

Last edited by dimapb; 04-27-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 12:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Burnaby
The 19" Bridgestone EL42s on 600 I just traded in were almost bald, with extreme heavy wear on the corners; the car had 35K miles on the odometer, and I did a 5-tire rotation throughout my ownership. My dealer balked and sneered knowing he would have to replace them before he would put the car up for sale, but I negotiated the trade before he had a look at them. (In the end, I paid $90K and traded it in for $70K. $20K depreciation over a two year span is quite acceptable for this car.)

So yeah, wear-wise the EL42s are pure junk compared to the car they are mounted on...
that's a fantastic deal for 2 yrs!
Old 04-29-10, 08:48 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Drove a 2010 with the 19's for a couple hours on familiar roads, and it wasn't actually bad. I could detect a little bit of extra jiggle on small imperfections, and a little more thump on bigger bumps. Of course, these were new tires ...

I just still don't like the 5-spoke 19's AT ALL, and the tires are still junk.

Old 04-29-10, 08:52 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Garbage.
No wet traction and will hydroplane with any standing water on the road.
Lexus should be embarassed to put them on a $70000 car.
Old 04-29-10, 11:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Drove a 2010 with the 19's for a couple hours on familiar roads, and it wasn't actually bad. I could detect a little bit of extra jiggle on small imperfections, and a little more thump on bigger bumps. Of course, these were new tires ...

I just still don't like the 5-spoke 19's AT ALL, and the tires are still junk.

I am not a fan of the 5-spoke wheels either. I preferred the 7-spoke which has more of a turbine look.

Old 04-30-10, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, that wheel looks pretty good
Old 04-30-10, 11:43 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I am not a fan of the 5-spoke wheels either. I preferred the 7-spoke which has more of a turbine look.

What are they called? They look like Teleios but Teleios look smaller than those (Teleios rims are 18" and those look like 19").

And, are they chromed?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone EL42 tires - Feedback?