LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

22" Lowered back wheels rubbing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 08:52 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 22" Lowered back wheels rubbing??

So now that my springs have settled after the wheel and spring install I'm noticing the rubbing in the back. Whenever the suspension bottoms out it rubs and its especially worse if I have people sitting in the back seats.

Anybody have some suggestions and or places that are trusted in southern cali to rectify the issue.

Setup is 22" Asanti staggered with Tanabe NF210's.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-27-10, 10:54 PM
hapaj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two things...width and offset may be an issue. After trimming rear wheel wells you should easily be able to fit a 10.5 width in the back with the correct offset and have no scraping. I had air suspension and could drop it down so there was no tire showing and not scrape. If there is no tire rubbing on the outside sidewall then what you are hearing is the felt liner hitting the tire and that is no issue. Give a little more info on exact width and setup and I am sure a lot of us on here can help with the correct solution
Old 04-27-10, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah need more info to understand what kind of rubbing you are having. if your offset is aggressive, you might rub the edge of the fender, taking out the fender plastic trim might help. a lot of people when they have rub, it's close to the area where the bumper meets the fender.
Old 04-28-10, 10:52 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I dont know the exact specs since Asanti's are always custom built to the car. I'll try and call the shop and find out though.

I do think its the felt hitting the tire. It only rubs if say I go over train tracks and as I'm going over them the suspension bottoms out. Or if I have people sitting in the back seat then any type of going over a bumb in the road and the backend suspension comes down then I hear it.

I'll definitely try and get more info though. Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-10, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it could be the felt, but if it's close to the part where bumper meets fender, there is a metal piece behind
Old 04-29-10, 03:47 PM
rz_racer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MelyMel,

I know your pain I went through exactly the same thing. I have 21X10.5 in the rear with a 32 offset and shaved down the rear fender lip to about half its regular width to keep structural integrity. With the Tanabe's I still rubbed a little and bottomed out cuz the springs were soo soft. So I went Megan Coilovers and never looked back, just a tad stiffer but never bottoming out, even with 3 people in back and their luggage in trunk. If your going to keep your Tanabe's and not shave your fenders you might need a 36 offset on your Asanti, thats just a guess....

good luck
Old 04-29-10, 07:04 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rz_racer
MelyMel,

I know your pain I went through exactly the same thing. I have 21X10.5 in the rear with a 32 offset and shaved down the rear fender lip to about half its regular width to keep structural integrity. With the Tanabe's I still rubbed a little and bottomed out cuz the springs were soo soft. So I went Megan Coilovers and never looked back, just a tad stiffer but never bottoming out, even with 3 people in back and their luggage in trunk. If your going to keep your Tanabe's and not shave your fenders you might need a 36 offset on your Asanti, thats just a guess....

good luck
Thanks for the heads up. I've been so busy with work that I havent even had time to call and ask the exact setup on my wheels. I'm pretty sure they are 22x10.5 in the rear but not sure on the offset.

How much did the coilovers run you? It may just be beneficial to go with coilovers. This was my dilemma before I even had the Tanabe's installed.