LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Your honest opinions needed, prior LS430 owner welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 07:38 AM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your honest opinions needed, prior LS430 owner welcome!

Hi guys,

I have struggle back and forth with the idea of upgrading to a 07-08 LS460 for the last coulple weeks with no result, I was hoping some of you who have been in my shoe before can voice your thoughts and comments.

I currently own a 01 LS430 UL with 135k miles, it's in a great shape and run like new (one of my good friend is a Lexus tech and have been the only one servicing it). I love the car, execept it's starting to show its age (small dash creak, 1 front parking sensor is failing), all of these things are very minor and can be address.

But my real concern is how much more time do I have until more stuff start to go wrong and by then the car doesn't worth anything (right now it's worth around $10k as trade in or whole sale). Even though saying that, I don't want to give up the conservative look, radar cruise and the comfortable air susp. I know I can get that in the 460 as well, but I think it's very rare to find one with those features in the pre-owned sector.

My friend (the Lexus tech) said my car will last till at least 200k miles and I'm crazy to even think about the new one. My wife (suprisingly) think I should get the new one, and been very supportive (I'm sure there's a heavy price involve ).

Sorry for the long ranting, but I guess the question I have for my Lexus family is:

Should I with the car for at least a few more years, take the money I saved and put it in to play/mods it? Or you think I will happy with a LS460 (properly with Nav/ Comfort pakge) and won't even miss the extra features?

Thank you in advance!

DT
Old 05-01-10, 08:03 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely have to try the 460 out for yourself. Nobody can make such a big decision for you.
Old 05-01-10, 10:37 AM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you read the thread on what to improve on the ls460 so you know what to look for (and all the threads). Some issues are wind noise (sometimes this cannot be fixed), screen lockout when driving, no usb port, seats not that comfortable, voice commands don't work that well, screen does not remember the last screen you were on e.g. if you are on the audio file screen and go to map, then back to audio, it will not be on the file screen and you need to navigate down to it. Or when going into reverse, then drive, the nav screen always pops up after the camera screen etc. On the plus side, I don't think you'll find better audio than Levinson, reliable, quiet, relatively inexpensive, good MPG, good accel etc, etc.
Old 05-01-10, 12:43 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it

I did read all about the wind noise issue (which I know will drive me insane) and ask my Lexus tech friend, he assure me that the issue can be taken care of. Also, I don't think the Navigation sys could be any worst then the one have have now. It have never understood my voice command well, may be 2 out of 5 times.

I did sat in the LS460 seats and I do think the LS430 seat are more comfortable, but it it could have been that my seats have been "break in" more.

I have not found or heard a LS460 with Levinson yet, but I hope it better then the Levinson in the 430 because it's horrible.

How hapy are you with the ride quality?

Originally Posted by wsteiner
Make sure you read the thread on what to improve on the ls460 so you know what to look for (and all the threads). Some issues are wind noise (sometimes this cannot be fixed), screen lockout when driving, no usb port, seats not that comfortable, voice commands don't work that well, screen does not remember the last screen you were on e.g. if you are on the audio file screen and go to map, then back to audio, it will not be on the file screen and you need to navigate down to it. Or when going into reverse, then drive, the nav screen always pops up after the camera screen etc. On the plus side, I don't think you'll find better audio than Levinson, reliable, quiet, relatively inexpensive, good MPG, good accel etc, etc.
Old 05-01-10, 01:19 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have my '01 LS430-ultra pearl white/ecru with about 160k on it, and earlier this year I purchased an '07 LS460L. The 460 is equipped pretty much like the ultra, everything but the exec package.

The 460 gave me the same rush as the 430 did when I first got it. I had to fly to San Francisco to pick it up, but it was a great road trip coming home. I added the PS Nav Over-Ride and the Vais-Tech MP3 adapter, both very nice units and highly recommended.

One thing I miss on the 460, and this is going to sound weird, but I really liked that 'oscillating fan' feature on the 430! Also the 460 doesn't have the vibrating rear seats, even though it has the rear seat upgrade package.

I don't think you'll regret getting a 460. You may wind up having to buy from a West coast dealer to get the features you want. Like you, I love the radar cruise, and AFAIK, that wasn't commonly available in 'snow' states.

3 years old seems to be the sweet spot for deals with a lot of vehicles coming off of 3-year leases and going to auction. I got my '07, $86k sticker, for $44.5k, with less than 15,000 miles. It was the best deal I found by far and I was more than happy to go to San Francisco to pick up the car.

If you are interested, PM me and I will give you contact info for the guy I bought my car from; it's a 2-man operation, they buy a lot of high-end vehicles at auction, and I was extremely pleased. No 'documentation fee', etc.

Go for it, you will love it!
Old 05-01-10, 01:37 PM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Ride is excellent - nothing quite like it. Off course you trade off handling for a cushier ride as you well know. I just put on new set of continental extreme contacts on it and they are much quieter than the bridgestones. Highly recommend the mark levinson audio - a must have - best I've ever heard. I'd double check on that wind noise issue. I've heard a lot of people can't get rid of it. I got my 07 at car max with 25k mi for $45K. They are all around that price afaik (jstjohnz - that's are really good price). I still have some wind noise on mine after all the TSIBs at about 60 mph and up. 09 and 10's don't have the noise.
Old 05-01-10, 03:13 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I just upgraded to a 460 from a 430, I have only been driving it for a week and I really like the car. I agree with the list above especially about the seats, the 430 seat was more plush & comfy. My fav is the increased HP and instant engine response to GO!! You know you have a V8 with out a doubt vs a quiet one, the LS progression is not perfect no car is but a welcome change in my book.
Old 05-01-10, 03:56 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdragon007
My friend (the Lexus tech) said my car will last till at least 200k miles and I'm crazy to even think about the new one. My wife (suprisingly) think I should get the new one, and been very supportive (I'm sure there's a heavy price involve ).
Listen to your friend. If you buy new, you'll spend more money on depreciation than it will cost to restore your 430 to an almost-new condition. The repairs needed seem relatively minor; the interior can be upgraded, a new paint job with a change of color will make her feel good, new shocks and other fixes will make you forget about the newer LS.

And, if after a year you still yearn for a change, there will be more options, like demos and low-mileage LSs to choose from, and the prices will make it worth upgrading. Ask your dealer to let you have a demo for a week to get the bug out of your system. If by then the urge is even stronger, then make the switch.
Old 05-01-10, 06:46 PM
Maurice
Driver

I went from an LS430 (2004) to an LS460 (2007).

The 430 is the best Lexus I ever had - virtually perfect. Frankly, due to the above list, but particularly the wind noise, I very much disliked the 460. Once the lease was up - I left the brand after many years and cars (to a BMW).

I regretted turning in my LS430 for the LS460. That said, the 460 was reliable and I know it has many fans. Only you can make that determination, but do look carefully if any of the above mentioned (very real issues) bother you enough.
Old 05-01-10, 07:30 PM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

i am trying to hop to a 2007 lexus ls460..

looking at some certified cars from dealers, im putting a max budget of 38k out the door for max 50k miles...

unfortunately the cars i've found dont have power door closing or the self parking feature.

i have to read up on the wind noise you guys spoke of.

any suggestions/warning when dealing with the dealer ? im literally in talks.
Old 05-01-10, 09:20 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Best advice ever!!!!

Originally Posted by lex
You definitely have to try the 460 out for yourself. Nobody can make such a big decision for you.
This member said what I think. You must make your own decision. I noticed you arent sure though. That usually means your not ready to move up. When you just get up and get it, your ready buddy. Im in the same boat as you. Been looking but, not sure about the LS460 2007-2009 so, Im staying still and driving what im blessed to have until its time to get another car. I tend to think we hesitate when its not good time to do things in LIFE!!

That said, LEX gave the PERFECT advice! Do what you think is best and make your own choice, nobody heres paying your bills. Opinions are cool but, there just that,opinions!!! L.G.N.M
Old 05-02-10, 12:51 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Thank you guys, for all your advice and inputs. I knew I was not going to be disappoint asking for your opinions.

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
I still have my '01 LS430-ultra pearl white/ecru with about 160k on it, and earlier this year I purchased an '07 LS460L. The 460 is equipped pretty much like the ultra, everything but the exec package.

The 460 gave me the same rush as the 430 did when I first got it. I had to fly to San Francisco to pick it up, but it was a great road trip coming home. I added the PS Nav Over-Ride and the Vais-Tech MP3 adapter, both very nice units and highly recommended.

One thing I miss on the 460, and this is going to sound weird, but I really liked that 'oscillating fan' feature on the 430! Also the 460 doesn't have the vibrating rear seats, even though it has the rear seat upgrade package.

I don't think you'll regret getting a 460. You may wind up having to buy from a West coast dealer to get the features you want. Like you, I love the radar cruise, and AFAIK, that wasn't commonly available in 'snow' states.

3 years old seems to be the sweet spot for deals with a lot of vehicles coming off of 3-year leases and going to auction. I got my '07, $86k sticker, for $44.5k, with less than 15,000 miles. It was the best deal I found by far and I was more than happy to go to San Francisco to pick up the car.

If you are interested, PM me and I will give you contact info for the guy I bought my car from; it's a 2-man operation, they buy a lot of high-end vehicles at auction, and I was extremely pleased. No 'documentation fee', etc.

Go for it, you will love it!
Thank you for the offer, I'll definately PM you for their infos if I can't find anything nice local. I'm kind of nervous with dealing for such a big purchase across country. I wish I have the room to get the 460 and still keep the LS430 and go VIP with it.

Originally Posted by wsteiner
Ride is excellent - nothing quite like it. Off course you trade off handling for a cushier ride as you well know. I just put on new set of continental extreme contacts on it and they are much quieter than the bridgestones. Highly recommend the mark levinson audio - a must have - best I've ever heard. I'd double check on that wind noise issue. I've heard a lot of people can't get rid of it. I got my 07 at car max with 25k mi for $45K. They are all around that price afaik (jstjohnz - that's are really good price). I still have some wind noise on mine after all the TSIBs at about 60 mph and up. 09 and 10's don't have the noise.
If I have to pick the one concern about the 460 that worry me most, it definately the wind noise issue, since I'm so sensitive and picky about noises. I'll be sure to "grill" my friend and get more detail on the fix from lexus.
I will also definatly have to find one with Levinson and listen to it, hopefully it will restore my faith in Lexus's premium audio system.

Originally Posted by Tee
I just upgraded to a 460 from a 430, I have only been driving it for a week and I really like the car. I agree with the list above especially about the seats, the 430 seat was more plush & comfy. My fav is the increased HP and instant engine response to GO!! You know you have a V8 with out a doubt vs a quiet one, the LS progression is not perfect no car is but a welcome change in my book.
If wasn't for the unfortunate even that happened with you, I'm sure you still would pimping around in your 430?

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Listen to your friend. If you buy new, you'll spend more money on depreciation than it will cost to restore your 430 to an almost-new condition. The repairs needed seem relatively minor; the interior can be upgraded, a new paint job with a change of color will make her feel good, new shocks and other fixes will make you forget about the newer LS.

And, if after a year you still yearn for a change, there will be more options, like demos and low-mileage LSs to choose from, and the prices will make it worth upgrading. Ask your dealer to let you have a demo for a week to get the bug out of your system. If by then the urge is even stronger, then make the switch.
This is exactly what my other voice of reason is saying to me. The only thing is that I'm just not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment, like I did when I had my turbo charged 2gen GS. I'm beginning to think my wife wanted me to get the new car to prevent that from happen again. Luckily, we were're married at the time so I was only spending my money. But now I gues if I go back into modding, I'll be spending "our" money.

Originally Posted by Maurice
I went from an LS430 (2004) to an LS460 (2007).

The 430 is the best Lexus I ever had - virtually perfect. Frankly, due to the above list, but particularly the wind noise, I very much disliked the 460. Once the lease was up - I left the brand after many years and cars (to a BMW).

I regretted turning in my LS430 for the LS460. That said, the 460 was reliable and I know it has many fans. Only you can make that determination, but do look carefully if any of the above mentioned (very real issues) bother you enough.
This is also my worst fear, did your dealer ever corrected the issue though out the term of your ownership?

Originally Posted by roundback
i am trying to hop to a 2007 lexus ls460..

looking at some certified cars from dealers, im putting a max budget of 38k out the door for max 50k miles...

unfortunately the cars i've found dont have power door closing or the self parking feature.

i have to read up on the wind noise you guys spoke of.

any suggestions/warning when dealing with the dealer ? im literally in talks.
I have been researching as well, my source told me that there was a big batch of lease return just got sold at the Manheim auction in Mass in the last 30 days for a around $31k-$33k. Not sure how much mark up they will try to have but I'm sure we definately have the upper hand due to the region and economy.

Originally Posted by usermel
This member said what I think. You must make your own decision. I noticed you arent sure though. That usually means your not ready to move up. When you just get up and get it, your ready buddy. Im in the same boat as you. Been looking but, not sure about the LS460 2007-2009 so, Im staying still and driving what im blessed to have until its time to get another car. I tend to think we hesitate when its not good time to do things in LIFE!!

That said, LEX gave the PERFECT advice! Do what you think is best and make your own choice, nobody heres paying your bills. Opinions are cool but, there just that,opinions!!! L.G.N.M
I definately appreciate the comment, but I wasn't looking for someone to make a decision for me. I was torn equally and wanted more voice of reasons to chime in that's all. I do reallize it's a pretty big decision and not one I can make on impulse.

Thanks again for all of your caring comments, I'm sincerely appreciate it.
Old 05-02-10, 02:52 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by Bdragon007

If wasn't for the unfortunate even that happened with you, I'm sure you still would pimping around in your 430?
Yes I would, however I saw my self in a 460 in another 2-3 yrs but it just happen a lot sooner. I do think you should go and spend some time driving, playing with a 460's gadgets then weigh your pros & cons on what compromises you are willing to accept or not.
Old 05-02-10, 03:35 PM
stever500
Rookie

I am hanging on to every word written in this post. Thanks for starting this thread. I have done lots of searches on CL and have come up with some great information. I'm in the market for an 07 LS 460 too but would have sell 2 older German cars of mine to get it. I long for a reliable car on one hand, but I'd miss the diversity of having two totally different cars (96 911 and 01 BMW 740i).

Good luck with your decision. If there was an Enterprise rental car place that I could just rent an LS 460 for 2 days I'd do it! I don't want to even ask a Lexus dealer to do this for me, I doubt they would in the first place (lend me one for a day) and even if they would, I don't want to feel obligated to them for the huge favor.

I can't tell if I want a "new" car unless I have some serious seat time in it. I guess that means I'm not totally sold on getting it yet, as well. I keep looking at the LS 430's too, 04's to 06's. I can't tell what the difference is between these 3 years. I don't really see much cosmetic difference either on them. Why would someone get the more expensive 06 if the 04 is exactly the same car, wheels and all? Or is there something, anything different?

Sorry to stray from your great topic. Just wondering. Thanks!
Old 05-02-10, 04:55 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by stever500
I keep looking at the LS 430's too, 04's to 06's. I can't tell what the difference is between these 3 years. I don't really see much cosmetic difference either on them. Why would someone get the more expensive 06 if the 04 is exactly the same car, wheels and all? Or is there something, anything different?
04-06 are the same when compared with the same trim levels

-Premium
-Modern Luxury
-Sport Edition (Same as ML w/ sport suspension)
-Custom Luxury
-Ultra Luxury (Top of the trim line)

Only reason to go with an 06 is it is younger or has less miles but you can find 04-05 with low miles as well.

Quick Reply: Your honest opinions needed, prior LS430 owner welcome!