LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10 | 03:09 PM
mokenny
Driver School Candidate

Question extended warranty

Thanks for all the advice, I posted a new thread seeking counsel about buying a 2007 LS 460.
I am happy to announce that I purchased one about 3 days ago.
It has 37K miles on it.
The car still has some few months of the original warranty left.
I am interested in buying an extended warranty.
I have some few questions though;
1) How many years of extended warranty is most expedient, 1,2,3 or 4 yrs
2) Is there a particular company that I should go with
3) What things should I include in the coverage
4) What price range should I expect to pay
5) Will my local lexus dealership honor the warranty even if I don't buy it through them.
I hope my questions do not appear too simple.

Mo Kenny
Old 05-09-10 | 03:50 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Extended Warranty

Mo Kenney;
I just re-newed the extended warranty on my 03 SC 430 with34K miles. The price was $1865.00 for a 3 yr/36K miles Lexus, Platinum, warranty.
In response to your questions:
1. It depends on how long you intend to keep the car. I plan on keeping mine until 2014 MY comes out.
2.I found the best deal with Tom Rivers, Lexus of Shreveport, 1-800-335-3987.
3.He sells the Lexus Platinum "0 deductible", which is what I bought. All major items are covered.
4. You would have to call him for a price on your car. I would estimate $2K.
5. Yes my dealer does as it is a 'LEXUS" warranty. Ihave no had no problems.
An extended warranty is a "piece of mind" investment. You may never need it but if something does go wrong it can be very expensive to repair.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 05-09-10 | 06:43 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

contact toyota of greenfield bought platinum 0 deduct 6 year 100000 for 1700.00 ask for lori hale 413 7720231
Old 05-10-10 | 09:54 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mokenny
Thanks for all the advice, I posted a new thread seeking counsel about buying a 2007 LS 460.
I am happy to announce that I purchased one about 3 days ago.
It has 37K miles on it.
The car still has some few months of the original warranty left.
I am interested in buying an extended warranty.
I have some few questions though;
1) How many years of extended warranty is most expedient, 1,2,3 or 4 yrs
2) Is there a particular company that I should go with
3) What things should I include in the coverage
4) What price range should I expect to pay
5) Will my local lexus dealership honor the warranty even if I don't buy it through them.
I hope my questions do not appear too simple.
Mo Kenny
I would definitely go with the Lexus warranty, it's nearly the same coverage as the original bumper to bumper warranty. There are just too many loopholes with most 3rd party warranties.

I am planning on getting the 7yr/70k or 7/100k warranty on my '07 before the standard warranty expires. I got some quotes a while back, the best price I found (this was in Jan) was:

Troy Dietrich,Toyota of Greenfield. (413) 772-0231 $2155 for a Lexus, Platinum, 7yr/100,000mile, $1655 for 7/75k.

If you have an idea how many miles you'll be driving that will steer you in the right direction. 7/75 will probably be about right for me.

The more bells and whistles on the car the more potential value of the warranty, regardless of how the car is optioned the warranty price is the same.

Buy the warranty at whatever dealership gives you the best price, any Lexus dealership will do the work. Buying from an out-of-state dealership will almost certainly same money since there is no sales tax.

Also, before your regular warranty ends, be sure to review all the TSBs for your vehicle, and have any relevant ones dealt with before the standard warranty expires. I don't believe TSB issues are covered at no charge under the extended warranty.

Last edited by jstjohnz; 05-10-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-11-10 | 09:37 AM
mokenny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
I would definitely go with the Lexus warranty, it's nearly the same coverage as the original bumper to bumper warranty. There are just too many loopholes with most 3rd party warranties.

I am planning on getting the 7yr/70k or 7/100k warranty on my '07 before the standard warranty expires. I got some quotes a while back, the best price I found (this was in Jan) was:

Troy Dietrich,Toyota of Greenfield. (413) 772-0231 $2155 for a Lexus, Platinum, 7yr/100,000mile, $1655 for 7/75k.

If you have an idea how many miles you'll be driving that will steer you in the right direction. 7/75 will probably be about right for me.

The more bells and whistles on the car the more potential value of the warranty, regardless of how the car is optioned the warranty price is the same.

Buy the warranty at whatever dealership gives you the best price, any Lexus dealership will do the work. Buying from an out-of-state dealership will almost certainly same money since there is no sales tax.

Also, before your regular warranty ends, be sure to review all the TSBs for your vehicle, and have any relevant ones dealt with before the standard warranty expires. I don't believe TSB issues are covered at no charge under the extended warranty.
I know this is not directly related to this post, but could you enlighten me, what are TSBs ?. How can i check if my car has had the relevant ones taken care of.
Thank you
Mo Kenny
Old 05-11-10 | 10:52 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Default Resale value of extended warranty?

The lease on my LS600hL is up in 2 months and I'm thinking I'll buy the car.

If I do, I'm considering the 100K/7 year extended warranty.

Two questions.

1. I understand that this platinum warranty isn't quite as good as the original bumper to bumper warranty. In what way is it inferior?

2. On the one hand, Lexus would only offer this if they think that they can make a profit, so I'd be betting against them that I'd have repair costs that exceed the cost of the warranty.

On the other hand, if I plan on selling the car in 3 years, with life left on the extended warranty, the fact that this (then) 6 year old car with 80K+ miles is still under warranty should make it easier to sell the car and increase the sale price somewhat.

Does anyone have any clue as to how much of the warranty cost I might expect to recoup when selling the car?

HBH
Old 05-11-10 | 02:40 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by mokenny
I know this is not directly related to this post, but could you enlighten me, what are TSBs ?. How can i check if my car has had the relevant ones taken care of.
Thank you
Mo Kenny
TSB = Technical Service Bulletins

Go here -

http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/tsib/
Old 05-17-10 | 11:35 AM
Driver School Candidate

Is extended warranty (backed by Lexus, not 3rd party) available after CPO warranty expires? I know there's one when the original warranty expires but don't if there's for post CPO warranty.
Old 05-17-10 | 08:18 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Unless you have air suspension on your car, forget the warranty. It is a waste of money. Warranty companies aren't in business because they loose money. Its a cash cow business with people like you footing the bill. You are betting against the most reliable car on the road. If you do have air suspension, make sure to get a warranty that does not exclude the components of the system.