LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 12:18 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I have a 2009 750i that I am considering trading on a 2010 Lexus or 2011 Jag XJ. Why? It's the poor service. My car has been in the shop for three weeks waiting on a part from Germany. My door locks are troublesome.

I like my BMW. I think the seats are superior to those in the Lexus. I have the optional heads-up display. The car is fun to drive. But, who wants to have their car sitting in the service department??

I need to drive a LS Sport and see if I like it. I should have kept my 2008.
I went from a 550i sport to the LS Sport when my lease expired. With the suspension setting on "Sport" the drive is much tighter than the standard LS suspension but not as tight as the 550i. I find that the cornering is pretty good while still being a comfortable ride. The acceleration is acceptable and the car has paddle shifters. I have never driven a 750i so I can't compare my car with one but I am not at all unhappy with the change. I do miss the head up display that I had in the 550i and wish it was an option in the Lexus. It was particuarly helpful when using the GPS (which was pretty bad in my '07 550i).

The seats in the LS Sport, while better than the standard seats in the LS SWB, are nowhere near as good as the sport seats in the 550i which were very comfortable and supportive.

I didn't have too many problems with my 550i and the service wasn't that bad but I just didn't want what was basically the same car for another 3 year lease.

I think you'll like the LS Sport but good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-19-10, 12:26 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanatl
The seats in the LS Sport, while better than the standard seats in the LS SWB, are nowhere near as good as the sport seats in the 550i which were very comfortable and supportive.

I think you'll like the LS Sport but good luck with whatever you decide.
I was hoping that you'd express your opinion. I have a 750i with a sport package, and the seats are great. The 2010 LS isn't too much different from my 2008. Even though I always wanted one, I don't know if I am brave enought to own a new Jaguar.
Old 05-19-10, 12:37 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I was hoping that you'd express your opinion. I have a 750i with a sport package, and the seats are great. The 2010 LS isn't too much different from my 2008. Even though I always wanted one, I don't know if I am brave enought to own a new Jaguar.
Again, without having driven one, if I had to guess I would expect the LS Sport in Sport setting to drive like a standard 750i and not handle as well as a 750i sport. The seats really aren't bad but you can't adjust the bolsters on the backrest and the top 1/3 of the seat doesn't adjust separate from the back like the sport seat in the 550i. I've had my car for about 4.5 months (I think I got one of the first ones off the boat) and haven't had an issue with it.

All in all it is a very reliable and comfortable car that handles pretty well. If you really like to drive a car hard and are into hard cornering then it might not be for you. I think you should drive one (in Sport mode) and give it a shot. I did and wound up leasing it.

I test drove the Jaguar XF with the souped up engine and didn't like the drive at all. The interior was nicely appointed but very tight. They don't have a very good reliability rating. Never drove the new XJ.

I almost bought a loaded E550 but MB Financial wanted a personal guarantee on a corporate lease which I wouldn't give them. The car is loaded with bells and whistles and drives pretty well. Not as roomy as the LS and they've had reliability issues in the past.
Old 05-19-10, 02:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I guess JF bought a Hyundai!

Last edited by Nospinzone; 05-19-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-19-10, 05:13 PM
arok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post here so, please, be gentle...

I am in a similar situation. I am picking up my "new" 2007 LS460L tomorrow. I am getting LS as my daily driver, and I am parking my beloved 2000 BMW M5 . Few reasons: I am older, my 14 years old son is 6' 1" (typically seating behind me), and traffic in Toronto has become brutal. I am getting my daily exercise about 2-3 hours a day in my M5 with manual transmission in stop'n'go traffic.

I am really looking forward to the "tomb". I have read about the "wind noise" issue, and I will apply JMC fix, if necessary.

Just as an insurance policy, I am keeping my M5. I can get my Bimmer fix on weekends.

I am going with a balanced approach:

2007 LS460L - Daily driver and short trips
2005 Sienna - Move the entire family and our pets
2000 BMW M5 - Because I know how to drive
2005 MB E55 AMG - Because I convinced my wife that it looks very nice. Ha! ha! ha!

Andrew
Old 05-19-10, 07:30 PM
BAD RIDES

Default I love bmw for performance

I love a fast cars and performance I own a bimmer and others but when it come to reliability and family nothing comes close to lexus I have own a gs 430 and its a great car I bought my wife an LS 460 L over 750il any day but both are very nice cars
Attached Thumbnails From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus-2010-05-19-15.22.15.jpg   From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus-2010-05-19-15.22.51.jpg   From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus-2010-05-19-17.33.15.jpg