LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 02:22 AM
JFJacob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus

Hello All,
I am about to depart a 2003 BMW 745Li after incredible experience and joy. I am looking at the 600h!? 2008 with 30K miles!
Any comment on price, performance and reliability, is greatly helpful.
J
Old 05-14-10, 05:50 AM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

This thread will give you a lot to read!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-hard-one.html
Old 05-14-10, 06:07 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy choice for me.

I too went from a BMW (albeit a 330xi) to my current 600hL.

1. No question that the BMW handles much tighter. But to accomplish this, it's also a much rougher ride. To me this was an easy choice. I spend 99.99% of the time riding around town, on the highway, and back streets. I spend .01% of the time on a road suitable for exercising the handling. (Actually, I can only think of one time I "tested" the handling on the BMW). I'm not willing to suffer 99.99% of the time for .01% of fun.

Straight line, the Lexus has the BMW beat, especially in the 30-70 range.

Of course, with AWD, on a wet, snowy, or icy road, the Lexus will always easily out handle the RWD BMW.

2. Reliability of the Lexus, well that's legend and true. The only non-normal maintenance issue I've ever had with any of my 3 Lexi was the "All windows opening" during a rain storm on my current 600hL.

The only thing I miss from the BMW is the manual transmission. That and cloth seats would make the 600hL perfect.

HBH
Old 05-14-10, 11:59 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations and welcome to CL. I went from a 550i sport to the '10 LS SWB with the Sport option package and haven't regretted it. The LS is much more comfortable and while I gave up some handleability in the corners (not as much as you might think with the Sport package), the tradeoff for reliability and comfort was very much worth it.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-10, 12:20 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The 600 will blow you away!
Old 05-14-10, 02:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFJacob
Hello All,
I am about to depart a 2003 BMW 745Li after incredible experience and joy.
You mean an incredibly bad experience. The 03 7 series was nothing short of a bangle butt ugly rolling pile of electronic garbage. Welcome to a car that actually works. Welcome to Lexus.
Old 05-14-10, 03:19 PM
Golfnut57
Driver School Candidate

I just switch from my 535i to LS460 SWB. I made the switch for many of the same reasons as other prior BMW owners. Some BMW's are track capable, but I am sure most owners use them as a daily commuters in which case the track capability of the BMW is a moot point. Lexus is a luxury ride with reliability that is unmatched. I have owned German cars for over 10 years and have paid lot of $$ for repairs and I do not expect the same experience with my Lexus. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-15-10, 11:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello All,
I am about to depart a 2003 BMW 745Li after incredible experience and joy. I am looking at the 600h!? 2008 with 30K miles!
J
No offense but I find it funny when mb or bmw owners are worried about reliability when they are inquiring about lexus (Not to say lexus is bulletproof either)

the main difference is if you're willing to put up with a softer ride in the lexus as compared to the 7 series.

Originally Posted by Helmar

1. No question that the BMW handles much tighter. But to accomplish this, it's also a much rougher ride. To me this was an easy choice. I spend 99.99% of the time riding around town, on the highway, and back streets. I spend .01% of the time on a road suitable for exercising the handling. (Actually, I can only think of one time I "tested" the handling on the BMW). I'm not willing to suffer 99.99% of the time for .01% of fun.

Straight line, the Lexus has the BMW beat, especially in the 30-70 range.

this is what you call a "soul" that all the mags and drivers who like to drive hard are referring to

I agree. 99% of the drive is straightaways and when it's time to make a turn, I don't do it at 60< miles anyways
I prefer the smooth and cushy ride to drown out the noise and not feel the bumps in the road.

My brother in law takes his 05 745 to the dealer more than I take my 05 LS430 in

good luck on your decision
Old 05-15-10, 11:36 AM
Maurice
Driver

I went from an '07 LS460 to a '10 BMW 750. I did this with some worries about reliability on the BMW after several Lexi. So far 3 months into the 7, I love the car, love the handling. In comfort mode is a smooth ride, in sports mode, well BMW.

I feel it is as luxurious as the LS if not more. I lease, so maintenance is included for the 3 year lease. I never liked the '07 LS mostly because I had one of those with severe wind noise that Lexus considered "to spec".

My '07 LS went back to the dealer a few times for minor issues and several attempts at wind noise repairs in the first 90 days, so far the BMW 7 has been flawless. It is early to measure reliability but it is an excellent beginning.

My previous LS (a 430 '04) is still the most realiable car I ever owned, and had the '07 issues been properly addressed by Toyota, I would likely not even looket at the BMW. That said, I do not regret (so far) the switch to BMW.

Since you are looking at an '08 make sure you drive it at high speed and see if it has the wind issue or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iscussion.html
Old 05-15-10, 01:01 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

My last experience with BMW was terrible. BMWNA has a terrible attitude and their parts availability is a joke. I drove around with a check engine light for 3 months in a brand new X5 35d waiting on a air temp sensor for the turbo chargers. I waited another 5 weeks waiting on a heated fuel filter in the middle of winter. The battery wouldn't stay charged on it's own without using a battery tender plus every night. BMW said I didn't drive it for extended periods on the highway every day in order to keep the battery charged on it's own. My I drive screen would go blank and the dealer coudln't find anything wrong. They told me, when it's happening, bring it in. I did three times and they still couldn't figure it out. I traded it for a 2010 Lexus GX 460 Premium. I have a rattle in the front passenger seat and have to go in for the software update for the VSC, but other than that no real problems. It doesn't handle as well as my BMW and the brakes aren't near as good, but it works and I'm not in the repair shop all the time. In one year with my BMW, my vehicle was left there at least ten times. That doesn't count how many times I was over there. Both times on the parts, I had to call BMWNA and raise hell before receiving the parts to repair my vehicle. Totally unacceptable! I had a hard time trading my BMW in as well. No one was interested in trading for it. BMW didn't want to buy it back. That was my 4th and last BMW. I never had many problems with the others. I think BMW's electronics suck. BMW's Navigation was a joke and so was their back up camera. I wouldn't own a BMW without a warranty. I won't own another BMW.

Good luck with your decision,
Old 05-15-10, 05:07 PM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
BMW's Navigation was a joke and so was their back up camera.
What year was your BMW? I worried about the NAV and backup camera as these features were great on my LS460. Before going to the 2010 750, I thoroughly played with the NAV and backup camera. I can tell you that on the 2010 750 they are excellent. The NAV works very well (not touch screen, but I find I do not miss the touch screen) and the Backup camera works better than the '07 LS with guiding lines and obstacle markings. The side camera have also been useful when I exit my building and parked cars obstruct the view of the avenue I need to turn into.
Old 05-15-10, 08:59 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
My last experience with BMW was terrible. BMWNA has a terrible attitude and their parts availability is a joke. I drove around with a check engine light for 3 months in a brand new X5 35d waiting on a air temp sensor for the turbo chargers. I waited another 5 weeks waiting on a heated fuel filter in the middle of winter. The battery wouldn't stay charged on it's own without using a battery tender plus every night. BMW said I didn't drive it for extended periods on the highway every day in order to keep the battery charged on it's own. My I drive screen would go blank and the dealer coudln't find anything wrong. They told me, when it's happening, bring it in. I did three times and they still couldn't figure it out. I traded it for a 2010 Lexus GX 460 Premium. I have a rattle in the front passenger seat and have to go in for the software update for the VSC, but other than that no real problems. It doesn't handle as well as my BMW and the brakes aren't near as good, but it works and I'm not in the repair shop all the time. In one year with my BMW, my vehicle was left there at least ten times. That doesn't count how many times I was over there. Both times on the parts, I had to call BMWNA and raise hell before receiving the parts to repair my vehicle. Totally unacceptable! I had a hard time trading my BMW in as well. No one was interested in trading for it. BMW didn't want to buy it back. That was my 4th and last BMW. I never had many problems with the others. I think BMW's electronics suck. BMW's Navigation was a joke and so was their back up camera. I wouldn't own a BMW without a warranty. I won't own another BMW.

Good luck with your decision,
I've had 2 BMW's in the past, 320i and a 530i. Nothing but a money pits.
BMW=Break My Wallet
Old 05-15-10, 10:17 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Hello All,
J
You are in for a huge treat if you do go with the 600h!
Old 05-16-10, 07:10 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice
What year was your BMW? I worried about the NAV and backup camera as these features were great on my LS460. Before going to the 2010 750, I thoroughly played with the NAV and backup camera. I can tell you that on the 2010 750 they are excellent. The NAV works very well (not touch screen, but I find I do not miss the touch screen) and the Backup camera works better than the '07 LS with guiding lines and obstacle markings. The side camera have also been useful when I exit my building and parked cars obstruct the view of the avenue I need to turn into.
It was a 2009 BMW X5 Twin Turbo Diesel. I traded it with 6066 miles on it.
It was the worst BMW I've owned. I had a 1989 325is, 1998 540 Sport 6 Speed and a 2000 M5.
Old 05-19-10, 11:50 AM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Default BMW to Lexus

I have a 2009 750i that I am considering trading on a 2010 Lexus or 2011 Jag XJ. Why? It's the poor service. My car has been in the shop for three weeks waiting on a part from Germany. My door locks are troublesome.

I like my BMW. I think the seats are superior to those in the Lexus. I have the optional heads-up display. The car is fun to drive. But, who wants to have their car sitting in the service department??

I need to drive a LS Sport and see if I like it. I should have kept my 2008.

Quick Reply: From the Ultimate Driving Machine to Lexus