LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Replacement Tires for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 06:19 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After 34000 miles I finally got rid of those horrid Bridgestone El 42's
replaced them with Pilot sport AS plus
Old 06-07-10, 06:52 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

I just purchased a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season.. it's in the mail right now.. we'll see how it performs..
Old 06-07-10, 08:10 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

im buyin an LS with Goodyear RS-A's. Are they any good? I have no idea. They look expensive tho.
Old 06-08-10, 05:10 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruceko
After 34000 miles I finally got rid of those horrid Bridgestone El 42's
replaced them with Pilot sport AS plus
Good call. How in the world did you get 34,000 miles out of those tires?

Originally Posted by aypues
im buyin an LS with Goodyear RS-A's. Are they any good? I have no idea. They look expensive tho.
I've never had any luck with Goodyear tires.
Old 06-08-10, 03:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 425 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I've used the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred and its predessor which I recall was the Aqua Tred. I was pleased with the performance of both tires, but their tread wear was slightly below average.
Old 06-09-10, 07:17 AM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRIDER
Thanks for the responses!

Since we all have to replace tires within the first 35,000 miles (and many LS460 buyers have to replace tires much sooner) after buying a car, I thought there would be plenty of opinions here on both the Michelins and Continentals. However, strangely, nobody has said anything about the Continentals.

Also, on another forum, someone suggested that the best tire for LS460 in warm weather (i.e., no snow) is Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT. Anyone has an opinion on that tire?

Thanks again.
That was me on the other forum recommending the SP Sport Maxx NOT TT version just the SP Sport Maxx. I still stand by my recommendation expecially considering you live in a warm climate with no snow. I put them on my LS400 and got a set of winter tires so i can swap. Tread life is still going really strong and i have had the tires for almost 2 years now. They dont look brand new but they dont look too far from it.

Originally Posted by cmasten
you wont regret the Michelin's, Costco has them for 70.00 off on a set still I believe. Also if they ever get a puncture they patch it right, by taking the tire off the rim and plugging and patching it from the inside. Free rotation for life too while you shop.. Once I bought tires and batteries at Costco, its hard to buy them anyplace else. Last two sets of Contis I have owned wore down really quickly although they were grippy. Michelins are just really good at everything.
Thats not true. Michelins are not good at everything at least in comparison to Dunlop. Thats where i bought my Michelin MXV4 plus from, Costco. The guy at the shop told me the MXV4 brakes faster than any other tire in rainy condition by something like 20-30 feet. Boy was he wrong. The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx blows the MXV4 plus out of the water in the rain. He was probably saying that though because this costco does not carry Dunlop. They had either Michelin or Bridgestone.

Originally Posted by mboverst
Agreed. If you want a quiet, smooth,and nice ride like the LS was designed for then go with the Michelins. Before my wheel upsize that's all I used.
I disagree with you. I have never seen a LS460 come OEM with Michelin. They either come with Dunlop SP Sportmaxx All season i believe or Bridgestone Turanzas which is probably for a reason...

Originally Posted by Craig B
Mine came with Dunlop's and they're terrible. Go with Michelin's...
Thats probably because yours came with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx All season. I havent tried the SP sport maxx all season but i have tried the SP sport maxx summer tire and it rocks. Very Quiet, Smooth, Comfortable, No Noise, etc. Check on Tire Rack the SP sport maxx is rated superior in terms of the cornering, dry traction, and steering categories and wet traction is rated excellent but .2 away from a superior rating.

Originally Posted by LSRIDER
It appears that the Michelins are everyone's favorite.
Not mine. Not sure why everyones raving about Michelin tires but im done with putting them on my Lexus vehicles. Sticking with what Lexus was putting OEM in 1996 on the LS400 which are Dunlop Tires. Now i know why after going back and forth between Dunlop, Michelin, and then Dunlop again.

Im done with them. Have had the Michelin MXV4 plus tires on my ls400 which were supposed to be top of the line back then and my previous Dunlop SP4000's blew them out of the water in terms of comfort, noise, etc. Here is the link to the page on the MXV4 Plus:

Michelin says they are supposed to be a "Quiet, Comfortable Ride" and this tire is a Luxury Performance Touring All-Season Tire not a sporty tire. I can tell you from experience the Dunlop SP4000's blew these Michelins out of the water in terms of quietness and comfort.

After the Michelin MXV4 plus tires i put on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and they are much much better than the Michelins.

Dont know why people are having problems with their Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but i find that braking in rainy conditions is actually faster than in the dry. Its amazing. The car has less roll to it too with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx since Dunlop did something with the engineering where there is a greater contact patch on the road. I couldnt even get my traction light to turn on with numerous attempts of flooring the car from a dead stop. The SP Sport Maxx grips the road like a cat. For the Winter i got a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and they are excellent in the snow. Currently on my LS430 i have Dunlop 5000's on the car which are almost worn out but nonetheless are still excellent in terms of comfort, handling, and no noise.

I'm done with Michelins after going back and forth between Dunlop, Michelin, and then Dunlop again.

I feel there is a reason why the LS400 was coming with the Dunlop SP4000 not Michelin's and to this date the LS460's are still coming with a mixture of Dunlop and Bridgestone tires as OEM. To me Michelin is more of a tire for sports cars such as camaros, mustangs, and corvettes. On a luxury car i have had much better experiences with Dunlop and will not be buying Michelin's anymore. Also in general it seems as though my Dunlops last longer than the Michelins do. The treadlife on the MXV4 plus was terrible. In comparison my ls430 has the Dunlop SP 5000 mounted on 18 inch rims and i have 40000 miles on these tires and they are still not bald but starting to get there. I feel they have about 15% of realistically usable tread left which is about another 5000-6000 miles but will have to be changed before winter.

Have had Goodyears and Pirellis before and will never buy those brands again. Havent had any experience with Continental but would buy that before i buy Michelin again. To me my Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d winter tire is and was more comfortable and less noisy than the Michelin MXV4 Plus .

Regards.

Last edited by elite7; 06-09-10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 12:37 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally decided to go with Continental DWS tires.
I had Michelin HXMXM4's that lasted 35k
The Continental are VERY quiet; handle VERY well and have a 50k mile warranty.
I was considering the Michelin Sport Plus, but saved $200 with the Continental DWS and got, IMHO, a better tire.
Old 06-11-10, 09:29 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I just purchased a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season.. it's in the mail right now.. we'll see how it performs..
you won't regret. i love them.
Old 06-12-10, 11:41 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elite7
That was me on the other forum recommending the SP Sport Maxx NOT TT version just the SP Sport Maxx. I still stand by my recommendation expecially considering you live in a warm climate with no snow. I put them on my LS400 and got a set of winter tires so i can swap. Tread life is still going really strong and i have had the tires for almost 2 years now. They dont look brand new but they dont look too far from it.

Thats not true. Michelins are not good at everything at least in comparison to Dunlop. Thats where i bought my Michelin MXV4 plus from, Costco. The guy at the shop told me the MXV4 brakes faster than any other tire in rainy condition by something like 20-30 feet. Boy was he wrong. The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx blows the MXV4 plus out of the water in the rain. He was probably saying that though because this costco does not carry Dunlop. They had either Michelin or Bridgestone.

If you read all the trades you will find the Michelins to consistently be good across the board. I have the Dunlops on my LS now and will be putting Michelins on when they are gone. I am in So Cal, not sure where LSRider hails from here, but if he is in So Cal too, then rain isnt our biggest concern as we dont get much of it...

I disagree with you. I have never seen a LS460 come OEM with Michelin. They either come with Dunlop SP Sportmaxx All season i believe or Bridgestone Turanzas which is probably for a reason...

Thats probably because yours came with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx All season. I havent tried the SP sport maxx all season but i have tried the SP sport maxx summer tire and it rocks. Very Quiet, Smooth, Comfortable, No Noise, etc. Check on Tire Rack the SP sport maxx is rated superior in terms of the cornering, dry traction, and steering categories and wet traction is rated excellent but .2 away from a superior rating.

Not mine. Not sure why everyones raving about Michelin tires but im done with putting them on my Lexus vehicles. Sticking with what Lexus was putting OEM in 1996 on the LS400 which are Dunlop Tires. Now i know why after going back and forth between Dunlop, Michelin, and then Dunlop again.

Im done with them. Have had the Michelin MXV4 plus tires on my ls400 which were supposed to be top of the line back then and my previous Dunlop SP4000's blew them out of the water in terms of comfort, noise, etc. Here is the link to the page on the MXV4 Plus:

Michelin says they are supposed to be a "Quiet, Comfortable Ride" and this tire is a Luxury Performance Touring All-Season Tire not a sporty tire. I can tell you from experience the Dunlop SP4000's blew these Michelins out of the water in terms of quietness and comfort.

After the Michelin MXV4 plus tires i put on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and they are much much better than the Michelins.

Dont know why people are having problems with their Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but i find that braking in rainy conditions is actually faster than in the dry. Its amazing. The car has less roll to it too with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx since Dunlop did something with the engineering where there is a greater contact patch on the road. I couldnt even get my traction light to turn on with numerous attempts of flooring the car from a dead stop. The SP Sport Maxx grips the road like a cat. For the Winter i got a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and they are excellent in the snow. Currently on my LS430 i have Dunlop 5000's on the car which are almost worn out but nonetheless are still excellent in terms of comfort, handling, and no noise.

I'm done with Michelins after going back and forth between Dunlop, Michelin, and then Dunlop again.

I feel there is a reason why the LS400 was coming with the Dunlop SP4000 not Michelin's and to this date the LS460's are still coming with a mixture of Dunlop and Bridgestone tires as OEM. To me Michelin is more of a tire for sports cars such as camaros, mustangs, and corvettes. On a luxury car i have had much better experiences with Dunlop and will not be buying Michelin's anymore. Also in general it seems as though my Dunlops last longer than the Michelins do. The treadlife on the MXV4 plus was terrible. In comparison my ls430 has the Dunlop SP 5000 mounted on 18 inch rims and i have 40000 miles on these tires and they are still not bald but starting to get there. I feel they have about 15% of realistically usable tread left which is about another 5000-6000 miles but will have to be changed before winter.

Have had Goodyears and Pirellis before and will never buy those brands again. Havent had any experience with Continental but would buy that before i buy Michelin again. To me my Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d winter tire is and was more comfortable and less noisy than the Michelin MXV4 Plus .

Regards.
In the trades you will find the Michelins to consistently be good across the board, which is reflected in the users here also from this thread so far. I have the Dunlops on my LS now and will be putting Michelins on when they are gone. I am in So Cal, not sure where LSRider hails from in this state, but if he is in So Cal too, then rain isnt our biggest concern as we dont get much of it...and it never gets below 60 so winter isnt my issue either.
Old 06-12-10, 01:01 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
you won't regret. i love them.
great!.. thanks for the assurance..

i could've ran the OEM EL42's for another 5k or so though.. (54k ish)