LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10 | 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by MrDC1000
Oooooh, it would be great in the armrest. I have never personally cracked any of this stuff open, so pardon the dumb questions. Is the cable long enough after being inserted into the armrest? (I suppose I could just buy a short extension if not. Would there be a gaping hole where the cable was passed through, or do most installers have a way to "refill" the holes?
it's long enough for sure, with enough slack to go further. on my installs i never have to drill holes, i have a way to run the cable through pretty clean

I'm taking my car to the dealer in the morning for some additional work - can they usually just install the latest Nav version or does it have to be ordered? It would be worth the $200 just to get rid of the "I AGREE" screen. I think we're up to 9.1 if I remember correctly.
usually they have to order it coz' they need to usb key. like mentioned, the vaistech should be able to take out the i agree
Old 06-04-10 | 07:54 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Last Question!

I plan to buy one of the units, not sure which yet. I'm pretty handy, if I have clear instructions - are there any pictorials on how to rip apart the dash and do some of this on an LS? I haven't done that before, but I trust myself with a bit of direction more than I trust any of the guys at the local stereo shops.
Old 06-04-10 | 09:47 PM
editordz
Rookie

I searched for good instructions on how to take the dash apart for a while, but came up short. I finally went to this site http://carstereoremoval.com/htm/ster...S46007_08P.htm and paid the $7. The instructions are outstanding, and I the whole installation took me about an hour with no unexpected difficulties.
Old 06-05-10 | 07:57 AM
adammb
Rookie

I have a subscription to alldata and I can get stuff like that included in my subscription. If you have specifics on what you want let me know and I may be able to fax or maybe email you the instrucitons
Old 06-05-10 | 07:26 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Does anyone know of a good installer in Atlanta? I bought the VAIS kit for my 07 LS460 and the dealer wants to charge me $500. A local shop quoted $285, but said that there are frequent problems installing it. I'd prefer an installer to doing it myself, even though several have written about how easy it is to install. Thanks.

Greg
Old 06-05-10 | 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

man that's scary. it doesn't take me more than an hour to install it... so you can use that to gauge the overall rate and cost

frequent problems? i really hate when shops making faulty claims when in fact it's them knot knowing what they do. i have installed a lot of vaistech devices, i have only run into one problem and that's ls430. it's all about initialization
Old 06-06-10 | 06:30 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Thanks romini. Your experience gives me more confidence that the local shop gave me.

Greg
Old 06-06-10 | 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

if i find any info on alanta installers i will definitely let you know. at the same time, maybe you can just try to do it yourself
Old 06-06-10 | 09:53 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Last Question!

I plan to buy one of the units, not sure which yet. I'm pretty handy, if I have clear instructions - are there any pictorials on how to rip apart the dash and do some of this on an LS? I haven't done that before, but I trust myself with a bit of direction more than I trust any of the guys at the local stereo shops.
If by chance you're also getting the PS nav override, the instructions that come with it are outstanding, full color pictures, and very detailed directions. Not sure if they're available online though.
Old 06-07-10 | 06:05 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
if i find any info on alanta installers i will definitely let you know. at the same time, maybe you can just try to do it yourself
I'd love to find other atlanta installers that someone here has used. But, maybe you're right and I should try. Finding the time is usually the challenge.
Old 06-09-10 | 04:33 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghenley
Does anyone know of a good installer in Atlanta? I bought the VAIS kit for my 07 LS460 and the dealer wants to charge me $500. A local shop quoted $285, but said that there are frequent problems installing it. I'd prefer an installer to doing it myself, even though several have written about how easy it is to install. Thanks.

Greg
A quick update: I found an installer who charged $100 and I was in and out in 2 hours. They showed me what they were doing, made sure it was what I wanted and explained how everything worked before I left. So far, so good.

Greg
Old 06-09-10 | 05:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by ghenley
A quick update: I found an installer who charged $100 and I was in and out in 2 hours. They showed me what they were doing, made sure it was what I wanted and explained how everything worked before I left. So far, so good.

Greg
sweet!!!!!!!! congrats greg!
Old 02-12-11 | 05:06 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Default Need Atlanta Based VAIS Installer

Need a referral to do a VAIS install in ATLANTA...anyone know of a good tech? I am pretty handy but not about to attempt taking the dash apart on this space ship...

Many thanks,

Mike in ATL
Attached Thumbnails 2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod-mikes-ls460.jpg  
Old 02-12-11 | 05:50 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

just six simple bolts...

2 on the center shifter piece both on the driver side
2 on the radio accessible once the side panels come off and they just pull off easy
2 on the Nav on the bottom once the radio unit slides out

Its about 20min tops to get behind the center console, once you know how.

There are several posts up here that talk about it if you want to get adventurous!
Old 02-12-11 | 07:09 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by highroler
Need a referral to do a VAIS install in ATLANTA...anyone know of a good tech? I am pretty handy but not about to attempt taking the dash apart on this space ship...

Many thanks,

Mike in ATL
Mike from a fellow ATL member your LS looks great!

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod