LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10 | 07:53 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod

If all goes well, I should be the proud owner tomorrow of a 2007 LS460L, Silver/Black, pretty muched decked out in everything except Sport and Exec packages. Now, what options do I have for hooking up my Ipod, controlling it with the car controls, and possibly even viewing the music/playlists on the Nav screen? I've skimmed a lot of posts, but I'm still frightfully unclear about VAIS, Prestigious Society, etc and what exactly they all do and how much brain damage they are to install.

Also, any other technical upgrades that make sense?

Thanks
Old 05-28-10 | 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

if you want ipod integration and display on the nav, full integration and use of radio / steering controls, vaistech is your answer.

if you want to be able to use the nav when driving (and access phone book, song list, etc...), then the ps override will do that
Old 05-29-10 | 05:18 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Well, just got home with it. 42k miles, but there is not one imperfection in the paint. Amazing car. Only thing better would be a 2010

Okay, additional questions on the VAIS:

1. Does the Vais Ipod integration allow XM functionality? I know the Lexus Ipod interface kit does not, as both use the same connection. I thought I read here that the Ipod integration on the Vais uses a different connection.

2. Is there any hardware/switch/etc that has to be out and about somewhere versus inside a covered area? I just hate the idea of a switch that has to be flipped everytime I get into the car, or an additional button somewhere on the dash.

3. Is installation easy enough for a mechanically inclined person to perform, or is it better left to the experts?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-10 | 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

1. vaistech does not interfere with xm

2. if you talk about vaistech, no switch no nothing, just the ipod cable. if you talk about the override, there will be a switch for you to override the system

3. personally it's very easy for me, i wouldn't say it's very hard for people in general
Old 05-29-10 | 09:53 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Okay, almost there. A few last:

1. Which VIAS makes sense if I basically just want Ipod (Iphone 3G) integration. IE, I want to be able to control the Ipod, while driving, through the steering wheel and/or the head unit.

2. I thought there was a thread on installation here, but I can't find it. Any source for installing the VIAS in an LS460L ML?
Old 05-29-10 | 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

your choices are sl2i-up and vml. vml can do usb and hdd as well, but more expensive. personally i think sl2i-up is a better choice. you can control using steering wheel and head unit, but access to folder list directly is disabled when driving (unless you get override)
Old 05-29-10 | 10:39 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, as you anwser I keep thinking up new questions. Now that I understand the SL2i-up, it seems like the solution I was looking for, including browsing by artist while driving, which is how I use my Ipod generally.

Now, using the SL2i-up, where and what do you plug the Ipod into? I thought there was not anything else "hanging out" in the car, so does this somehow use the Aux/Power outlets in the armrest? Or do you end up with a new cable somewhere? Or does it replace the Aux in the armrest?
Old 05-30-10 | 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

the unit goes to the back of the radio. then there is the ipod cable you run to anywhere you like. you don't use the aux port in the arm rest at all or replace it
Old 05-30-10 | 07:42 AM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Ahhhh, okay. Where are people finding it's useful to run the cable to? I like the idea of running into the ashtry area, as that has no use for me otherwise, and I need access to my Iphone while driving, sometimes.

I suppose worst case I could run it to the glovebox and get a plain old Ipod and leave it in there.
Old 05-30-10 | 10:16 AM
Tee

Will the PS get ride of the "I AGREE" lawyer screen?

I hate having to push the button every time I take off, my tech the only way to get rid of it is to upgrade to the new NAV version and he can bypass it while programming it. The new update will cost $2-300 which I don't think it is worth it.

BTW great info thx guys!
Old 05-30-10 | 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by MrDC1000
Ahhhh, okay. Where are people finding it's useful to run the cable to? I like the idea of running into the ashtry area, as that has no use for me otherwise, and I need access to my Iphone while driving, sometimes.

I suppose worst case I could run it to the glovebox and get a plain old Ipod and leave it in there.
either glove box or armrest, that's where i run the cable to in most of my installs

Originally Posted by Tee
Will the PS get ride of the "I AGREE" lawyer screen?

I hate having to push the button every time I take off, my tech the only way to get rid of it is to upgrade to the new NAV version and he can bypass it while programming it. The new update will cost $2-300 which I don't think it is worth it.

BTW great info thx guys!
no it doesn't get rid of i agree.

your tech is sort of wrong. the new nav version (since 7.1 i believe) does not have the i agree screen anymore. that's my default. your tech doesn't have to do anything to "bypass" it
Old 05-31-10 | 09:03 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
either glove box or armrest, that's where i run the cable to in most of my installs
Oooooh, it would be great in the armrest. I have never personally cracked any of this stuff open, so pardon the dumb questions. Is the cable long enough after being inserted into the armrest? (I suppose I could just buy a short extension if not. Would there be a gaping hole where the cable was passed through, or do most installers have a way to "refill" the holes?
Old 05-31-10 | 09:05 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
your tech is sort of wrong. the new nav version (since 7.1 i believe) does not have the i agree screen anymore. that's my default. your tech doesn't have to do anything to "bypass" it
I'm taking my car to the dealer in the morning for some additional work - can they usually just install the latest Nav version or does it have to be ordered? It would be worth the $200 just to get rid of the "I AGREE" screen. I think we're up to 9.1 if I remember correctly.
Old 05-31-10 | 10:15 PM
editordz
Rookie

The cables supplied with the VAIS unit easily reach the armrest compartment. I should know, I installed mine today

In fact, I put the Vais unit into the armrest compartment along with the iPod, easy access for future firmware updates. Getting things opened up and then closed again was not hard.

Last but not least, the VAIS gets rid of the "I agree" screen after a couple of seconds, so no need for the Nav upgrade, unless you need updated maps.
Old 05-31-10 | 10:51 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrDC1000
I'm taking my car to the dealer in the morning for some additional work - can they usually just install the latest Nav version or does it have to be ordered? It would be worth the $200 just to get rid of the "I AGREE" screen. I think we're up to 9.1 if I remember correctly.
$200 for the maps, but then since it's HDD they have a labor fee too...it takes some time to update the navigation on the LS. I think total is right at $300. Although I would just wait the extra 3 months until September when they release the 10.1.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460L and the Venerable Ipod