LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 03:10 PM
Begno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions

Just bought a 08 LS460L Touring model. Great car to start!! I have a couple of questions.

1) I am not a seatbelt wearer and the buzzer is driving me crazy. I called my local dealership and they will not disable it even though the Lexus manual refers to it. Anyone know of a sequence or a suggestion??

2) The car only had one remote with the small valet key.What do you recommend as far as back up entry goes. Card key, new FOB, etc. Any online sites that would be a bit less expensive that the dealership?

3) for some reason the previous owner swapped the 19 inch 5 spoke wheels for the 18 inch Telios wheels. I am looking to either swap or purchase the standard silver 19 inch 5 spoke wheels. Any suggestions or recommendations. I saw a replica wheel on ebay, looks pretty good. Anyone had any experience with them.

Regards,

BEGNO
Old 06-08-10, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) i know for 2is and 3gs, you can do it yourself with set of sequence, maybe you can try those and see if it works on the ls460. though i remember reading that for ls460 you need dealership but i am not 100%

2) small valet key?! you mean the one that's inserted in the fob as part of it? seems like you are missing the 2nd fob from dealership. you can get another new fob and have the key cut, or you can also get the credit card keys. sewell lexu is a vendor here and they sell stuff at pretty good price

3) i will never put replica on my cars, so i will only get the factory 19s. you can look at ebay on take offs, or try new ones from sewell too

welcome to clublexus!
Old 06-08-10, 03:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the club!

1. I believe only the dealer can disable it. I would call them back and ask to speak to the GM. They are supposed to do one personalized setting for free, but of course the original owner may have already used this up. Still, the dealer should accomodate you.

2. Its too late now, but big mistake to accept the car without both key fobs. That should have been part of the original deal. Do a search of this forum, I know sources have been discussed before.

3. Try these folks - http://www.lkqonline.com/custom/prod...a-1d918cac6ba2

A couple years ago I bought 4 OEM wheels for my wife's Jag so I could mount snow tires. They were advertised as being in very good condition. They were in excellent condition, in fact one of the wheels was obviously the spare because it was brand new. The cost...... $199 plus $60 shipping. The dealer wanted more than that for just one wheel!
Old 06-08-10, 05:03 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Begno
Just bought a 08 LS460L Touring model. Great car to start!! I have a couple of questions.

1) I am not a seatbelt wearer and the buzzer is driving me crazy. I called my local dealership and they will not disable it even though the Lexus manual refers to it. Anyone know of a sequence or a suggestion??

2) The car only had one remote with the small valet key.What do you recommend as far as back up entry goes. Card key, new FOB, etc. Any online sites that would be a bit less expensive that the dealership?

BEGNO
Any shop that services Lexus cars probably has the Techstream software and can program your settings, you may want to call around to some local shops that service imports.

As far as the key fob goes, new ones are pretty pricey, maybe $200 or more. There are used key fobs on Ebay for a lot less but programming a previously used key is a bit more involved, and you would have to buy a new blade and have it cut also.
Old 06-08-10, 05:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
Any shop that services Lexus cars probably has the Techstream software and can program your settings, you may want to call around to some local shops that service imports.

As far as the key fob goes, new ones are pretty pricey, maybe $200 or more. There are used key fobs on Ebay for a lot less but programming a previously used key is a bit more involved, and you would have to buy a new blade and have it cut also.
is it doable? i remember reading before that fobs can't be re-programmed?
Old 06-08-10, 06:09 PM
Begno
Driver School Candidate

The dealership I called that said they wouldn't disable the buzzer also told me that they could not reprogram an already programed remote.
Old 06-08-10, 07:56 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the factory 5 spoke 19's from Sewell ... they charge $350 each, so you are looking at $1400 plus shipping.
Old 06-08-10, 08:33 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
If the fob is compatible with the LS460 it can be programmed even if previously used by doing the "all keys lost" procedure. This basically deletes all keys, then all have to be re-added. For some reason, a previously used key will work if done this way, but not if doing the "add a key" mode. At least that's what I've been told; I will test this theory soon and advise.
Old 06-09-10, 07:07 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
I took my Ebay keys (4) into the dealer today for programming. They were able to successfully program 3 of the 4 using the "all keys lost" procedure. As it turns out, the key that wouldn't program had a different FCC ID#. The charge was $55. I still need to buy blank blades and have them cut.

Last edited by jstjohnz; 06-09-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 09:11 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The dealership I called that said they wouldn't disable the buzzer also told me that they could not reprogram an already programed remote.
The seat belt warning is a two stage chime. The first produces 4 or 5 slow speed tones, whereas the second more annoying stage sounds out 16 rapid tones. Both can be disabled independently from each other, and I believe the second is probably more suited for families with small children. Tell your dealer you still want the initial warning - that should quell their misguided paranoia. If they still refuse, ask another dealer to do this for you. This is a very simple task that could be done in tandem with your next oil change - and at no charge I might add...
Old 06-09-10, 10:36 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Perhaps it is because I just finshed my first year of law school and Torts was one of my favorite subjects, or perhaps it is because my father is the County Coroner for our community, but come the ___ on, not wearing your seat belt becasue "I'm not a seatbelt wearer."

It takes five seconds to put on and take off, and next to the air bag and anti-lock brakes is one of the greatest life saving pieces of technology ever developed! Do me a favor, if you do choose not to wear your seatbelt, make sure your registered as an organ donor before you leave the house.
Old 06-10-10, 05:14 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat belt buzzer can be disabled. I filled out the customization form and wrote in to disable the seat belt buzzer. The service adviser said they could not do it but when I got the car back it was done. Thank you service tech!
Old 06-10-10, 01:56 PM
Begno
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of your input!
Old 06-10-10, 03:36 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
Perhaps it is because I just finshed my first year of law school and Torts was one of my favorite subjects, or perhaps it is because my father is the County Coroner for our community, but come the ___ on, not wearing your seat belt becasue "I'm not a seatbelt wearer."

It takes five seconds to put on and take off, and next to the air bag and anti-lock brakes is one of the greatest life saving pieces of technology ever developed! Do me a favor, if you do choose not to wear your seatbelt, make sure your registered as an organ donor before you leave the house.
+1. that's like saying I sleep around but I'm not a condom wearer.
Old 06-11-10, 12:20 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Huh............? Interesting Analogy... No, you need not explain it, I get it...

Quick Reply: Couple of Questions