LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Jaguars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 04:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
I like this car, but although growing on me I don't love the Exterior just yet. With that being said I saw two pre-production XJ's at the LA international auto show and let me tell you that interior knocked my socks off! I'm not usually a black interior guy but with all the piano wood and chrome accents it looked just as rich or richer than anything this side of Maybach. In it's class nothing can touch it interior wise. I have yet to sit inside one though since they kept them locked at the show, I want to see how it feels. The last generation felt cheap to me in certain places, for example the side of the front seats feels like vinyl and not leather. Overall this new one is a slick and modern looking ride.
I did sit in one and rubbed over every surface insde and outside. There is nothing cheap about it anywhere. Best interior in it's class.
Old 06-19-10, 08:13 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you guys, love the new XJ!
Old 06-21-10, 05:32 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Fellow member review: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...jaguar-xj.html
Old 06-21-10, 02:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I talked to a new co-worker today about her 08 XK.
I asked her if it was reliable or in the shop every other.
She replied that her car was very reliable and this is her 5th Jag.
She saying this as I noticed the drivers side door wasn't fully closed. She slammed it 2 times and still, it wasn't completely closed. She gave it a serious thud and it finally closed. She didn't bat an eye and continued to call her car "very reliable."

I hate it when people do that. You ask them about their car and they are in such denial the truth doesn't come out unless you press or interrogate them. I try to tell the truth about my cars because that person could be relying on it to decide whether to buy. Most people aren't honest....I guess they just love their car so much they either can't see or don't want to see the truth.
Old 06-21-10, 02:41 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

I know your point Ice about people who are in denial about their car. I think some people hate to admit that they made a bad buying decision, and its not just with cars either, sometimes its spouses!

However, in fairness to your new co-worker, a door out of alignment doesn't make the car unreliable.
Old 06-22-10, 12:39 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I know your point Ice about people who are in denial about their car. I think some people hate to admit that they made a bad buying decision, and its not just with cars either, sometimes its spouses!

However, in fairness to your new co-worker, a door out of alignment doesn't make the car unreliable.
But a spouse out of alignment definitely does...
Old 06-22-10, 02:50 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

No, doesn't make it unreliable but if someone is telling me they have never had a problem with their car while they can't close the door, makes me not trust what they are saying.
Old 06-22-10, 03:13 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love it. Funny how it looks nothing like the prev gen thou
Old 06-23-10, 09:38 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I talked to a new co-worker today about her 08 XK.
I asked her if it was reliable or in the shop every other.
She replied that her car was very reliable and this is her 5th Jag.
She saying this as I noticed the drivers side door wasn't fully closed. She slammed it 2 times and still, it wasn't completely closed. She gave it a serious thud and it finally closed. She didn't bat an eye and continued to call her car "very reliable."

I hate it when people do that. You ask them about their car and they are in such denial the truth doesn't come out unless you press or interrogate them. I try to tell the truth about my cars because that person could be relying on it to decide whether to buy. Most people aren't honest....I guess they just love their car so much they either can't see or don't want to see the truth.
Its very hard to judge the reliability of a car based on only owning one brand. After 5 Jags, you get used to having everything fall apart and it being in the shop more then it is on the road. That all becomes normal or in her case, 'reliable'. She, as many Jag fans, are in complete denial about the reliability and low build quality of their vehicles. They don't want to be told that they spent $60k on a vehicle that was built to $20k standards.
Old 06-23-10, 10:05 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the truth!! - i had 3 jags and whenever anyone asked - i always said - No problems - yet - i had a little thing here and a little thing there and then a failure of something - all through this - "no problem" when asked.

Originally Posted by miniz
Its very hard to judge the reliability of a car based on only owning one brand. After 5 Jags, you get used to having everything fall apart and it being in the shop more then it is on the road. That all becomes normal or in her case, 'reliable'. She, as many Jag fans, are in complete denial about the reliability and low build quality of their vehicles. They don't want to be told that they spent $60k on a vehicle that was built to $20k standards.
Old 06-23-10, 01:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Am I the only one who doesn't like it?

It looks like it's been "Frankensteined".
Umm......Yeah, I think you're alone on this one. The new Jag line up is amazing and this XJ is arguably the most head turning flagship on the market now. I look forward to having one of these in my garage if not the XF a bit sooner. Inside and out this car is remarkable. Not your typical luxo barge. Minus the black C-pillar thing and notable minimal headroom in the rear this car is amazing. It photographs well, looks great in person and would look even better in my garage. I hope and anticipate that Lexus will step it up a notch designs wise on already great car, with the next LS. A little more flair. I know it takes time and they are slowly getting there. But as previous posters have said they got the interior, reliability and regal aura down, all is missing is some sex appeal. I don't need it to handle like the 7. I just want more spice and for the designers to take more risks.
Old 06-23-10, 02:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Umm......Yeah, I think you're alone on this one. The new Jag line up is amazing and this XJ is arguably the most head turning flagship on the market now. I look forward to having one of these in my garage if not the XF a bit sooner. Inside and out this car is remarkable. Not your typical luxo barge. Minus the black C-pillar thing and notable minimal headroom in the rear this car is amazing. It photographs well, looks great in person and would look even better in my garage. I hope and anticipate that Lexus will step it up a notch designs wise on already great car, with the next LS. A little more flair. I know it takes time and they are slowly getting there. But as previous posters have said they got the interior, reliability and regal aura down, all is missing is some sex appeal. I don't need it to handle like the 7. I just want more spice and for the designers to take more risks.
Good post.
Old 06-24-10, 07:00 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Wouldn't be the first time..

What's with the "dial" shifter...are you kidding me?

The LS460 is 5 years old now and of course the design is long in the tooth compared to new offerings. However, that's why the resale holds up much better than other brands.

Buy the Jag...but you'll eventually be back.
Old 06-24-10, 08:19 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This car looks amazing in person. I had a chance to take a look at one in Rockville/Bethesda on yesterday. I never have been a big Jag fan but my best friend loves Jags. I must say his Jag XF interior blows my CLS interior away.
Old 06-24-10, 10:50 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Wouldn't be the first time..

What's with the "dial" shifter...are you kidding me?

The LS460 is 5 years old now and of course the design is long in the tooth compared to new offerings. However, that's why the resale holds up much better than other brands.

Buy the Jag...but you'll eventually be back.
Personally I like the dial shifter it works really well and is quite intuitive. It may seem gimmicky to some who haven't had the opportunity to use it. But trust me you won't look back. As for the design being "old" that's not the issue here. One the LS460 has aged quite well . However form the first days I laid eyes on it I wanted more flair however I understand Lexus's mantra and design themes. I just want more edge for my personal tastes. However that's not to take anything away from the LS460. It is a beautiful car inside and out. I'm glad they've become less conservative and have their own design in recent yaers compared to the previous LS generations.

If I were to buy either of those Jags that doesn't mean I'm losing my affinity for Lexus. I just appreciate other makes and their offerings. Lexus can't fulfill everything.....No one can. I will always keep at least one Lexus in my garage. Trust me I'm a fan for life!

Quick Reply: Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Jaguars?