LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 with high miles... should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 02:40 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 with high miles... should I worry?

Hi All,

I am looking at a 2007 LS460 with over 90K miles on the car. It has always been maintained threw the Lexus dealer.
I have read here and heard from others about a potential valve issue.

I plan on daily driving the car for a long time.
My current car (acura legend) has over 250K on it and I am still driving it every day.

I do not want to spend good money on this Lexus, it will not have a warranty and have a major engine problem happen.

Looking for advice or feedback for any 2007 owners or techs out there.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-10, 03:13 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTBomB
Hi All,

I am looking at a 2007 LS460 with over 90K miles on the car. It has always been maintained threw the Lexus dealer.
I have read here and heard from others about a potential valve issue.

I plan on daily driving the car for a long time.
My current car (acura legend) has over 250K on it and I am still driving it every day.

I do not want to spend good money on this Lexus, it will not have a warranty and have a major engine problem happen.

Looking for advice or feedback for any 2007 owners or techs out there.

Thanks!
I'd stay away for the reasons I boldfaced above regardless of makes and models.
Old 06-24-10, 03:32 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

I know what you are saying but I am trying to see if there really is a problem with the 2007 4.6 engines and the valves.
I have tried to read up on the issue, and it seems most of the stories I have read the cars had the valve problem with low mileage on their cars.
Does that mean if there is a valve problem that it will work itself out early?
And if the car has safely gone to 90k with no issues, I should be fine? Not sure.

There are 2 ways to look at it:
1) Car has high miles with no valve problems... therefore should be ok going forward.
2) Car has high miles and the valve problem can happen anytime now.

Is there really a valve problem with the 2007 4.6 motors? Not sure, I have heard conflicting stories.

Any Lexus techs in here that can comment?
Old 06-24-10, 08:25 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are talking about 30K-40k or so miles above average for the age of the vehicle. If this translates to at least a $6k-$8k discount when compared to a vehicle with more typical mileage it may be a good deal. How much are they asking?
Old 06-25-10, 05:54 AM
Junior1790
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree with jstjohnz, it's really dependent on the price, to give you perspective, last thurs i picked up an '07 with 37,500 miles and paid $33,500!! this was a pretty good deal i was on and went back and forth with the dealer for a week but it's still factory warranty till November and then i can add a lexus warranty. i would be careful however; if your grabbing the car for high $20k's then perhaps its not a terrible deal...
Old 06-25-10, 06:21 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

They are asking $30k.
Junior sounds like a great deal... Where did you find that?
You are in CT and I am in MA.
I am willing to travel.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-25-10, 07:07 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if it matters to you and you should probably verify this, but I believe you will not be able to purchase extended warranty for this car because of the high mileage.
Old 06-25-10, 07:38 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

In regards to a Lexus warranty you are correct.

Any comments or knowledge on this "valve issue"?
Old 06-25-10, 08:13 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no personal knowledge and I'd like to keep it that way ... just what's been discussed here on the forum. It seems to be a very isolated issue, however, it does happen and would probably always be on your mind. You are definitely taking a risk purchasing this car. If you are not in a hurry, I would continue looking, especially since you are willing to travel to get the car.

Good luck
Old 06-25-10, 10:49 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the main thing about this car is the high mileage. You can't predict what's going to happen in the future, be it the valves issue or anything else. So I wouldn't worry about it, unless you rule out all the LS460's that were manufactured in late '07 (forgot the months the guys discussed in one of the threads).

One more thing, I would pay extra $2-3K and get half the miles or even less as you would save this much (or even more) in maintenance and whatnot. Something to think about.
Old 06-25-10, 12:07 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

I think I am going to pass on this one.

Its tough because I was intially looking at 2004-2006 430s in the low to mid 20s. Then I found that 460 for $30k. Now I will be going up from there... 33-35k. When will it stop ahahhaha

Thanks guys!
Old 06-25-10, 12:49 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my LS430 a few months back and it had 104,000 miles ... lady that bought it purchased an extended warranty from Warranty Direct for like 1800 bucks, bumper to bumper for like 7 years. So you can most definitely purchase an extended warranty regardless of miles.
Old 06-25-10, 02:16 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Member gave you the best advice t me thus far. The other members have gave you some gems as well. If you dont want to have to pay for repairs in the future, I say get a warranty on the car to cover engine issues etc., but, the LS if well maintained has few issues. Normal wear and tear may be the only issues such as replacing brakes, tires and other normal unavoidable repairs that have nothing to do with car reliability.

The thing about Lexus and Benz,BMW,Jag,Audi and even Acura is to maintain these cars takes $ and what we get back is a long running car. You had a Acura Legend which is a proper name for that car, it is a Legend amongst those in my era. That said, buy the LS or GS issues cant be predicted. Sometimes we have products for years and no issues while others have the same items and they have problems from day one. My point is to buy what you do based on knowing you will do ALL YOU CAN to properly maintain it and if you do that, it will be as trouble free as possible.

The miles are high but, if you kept a car for 250,000 miles, must not be an issue for you. Still have 160,000 miles to go for a car owner like you. And hey, the car will last as long as you treat it right. That said, Members advice may be the way to go for you do to the questions you asked!L.G.N.M
Old 06-25-10, 04:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 426 Likes on 329 Posts

TTBomB, I don't know where in MA you are, but if you are in greater Boston, I can give you the name of a mechanic who is first rate and charges a reasonable amount for his work. Of course one problem is if the repair requires Lexus parts, those will still cost you an arm and a leg.

There may be some good third party insurers out there, but there is no way I would buy an extended warranty from anyone but Lexus.
Old 06-27-10, 07:52 AM
Junior1790
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTBomB
They are asking $30k.
Junior sounds like a great deal... Where did you find that?
You are in CT and I am in MA.
I am willing to travel.
Thanks guys!
It was at a chevy dealer in Springfield area, i stumbled upon it, they had the car for over 100 days, they get a lot of off brand, higher end cars. The dealership isn't that great but their prices are great and if you can deal with the business/finance manage direct hes great, he put together the final numbers on the deal. I brought it to my local dealership to get checked out under warranty, all is well. PM me and I'll give you the dealership name and the guy to speak to..

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 with high miles... should I worry?