LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'08 LS460 - Front Left Side is 1/2" Lower than Front Right Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 05:03 PM
anwar1337
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 LS460 - Front Left Side is 1/2" Lower than Front Right Side

I now live in Oklahoma after moving from NY. This is not the dealership I bought the car from. I took it to the Lexus Dealership in Oklahoma City.

They said that
"It is normal for the car to be 1/2" lower on either side..."

Is this a joke? How can this be normal. There is no way engineers planned for this or wanted this. A car is supposed to be balanced in so many aspects. What the f--- are they talking about... This is the second LS I have bought in my life.

The car is still under warranty (32K odo) and this is why I think theyre giving me the run around, because they would most likely have to replace both front left and front right suspension.

If they continue to give me the run around should I call Lexus Corporate?

The car is at the dealership right now, getting repaired for the windnoise issue. I never had the time to go for that one until now. Anyway, once I have the car,

Should I take pictures? To help you guys see what I'm talking about?

This does NOT have an Air Suspension btw.
Old 06-24-10, 05:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually if you look at all lexus, they are different height left and right. so yes, it's normal. it could be difference between weight left and right (RHD and LHD), but of all the lexus i have owned (and those i have seen at dealerships), left and right side are different when i look at the wheel gap
Old 06-25-10, 10:19 AM
redline624
Driver School Candidate

Default Bs

Yup I have the same issue; I'm pretty meticulous and have measured all sides; left side tend to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower. Only way to cure this problem is coilovers.

But One this I don't understand is how a 82K car can have this kind of flaw in tolerence? I bought my car new 2008 LS SWB, I took it back to the dealer and they told me they can't do anything because I have aftermarket wheels on, but if I had stocks on they can get a accurate measurement. They are retards at the dealership; tell me if that makes any sense whatsoever!
Old 06-25-10, 10:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by redline624
Yup I have the same issue; I'm pretty meticulous and have measured all sides; left side tend to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower. Only way to cure this problem is coilovers.

But One this I don't understand is how a 82K car can have this kind of flaw in tolerence? I bought my car new 2008 LS SWB, I took it back to the dealer and they told me they can't do anything because I have aftermarket wheels on, but if I had stocks on they can get a accurate measurement. They are retards at the dealership; tell me if that makes any sense whatsoever!
they blamed it on your wheels?! that's quite some dealership @_@
Old 06-25-10, 11:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually if you look at all lexus, they are different height left and right. so yes, it's normal. it could be difference between weight left and right (RHD and LHD), but of all the lexus i have owned (and those i have seen at dealerships), left and right side are different when i look at the wheel gap
+1 and not just with Lexus/Toyota.
Old 06-27-10, 09:24 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Default 08 Lean

I am very curious about the results you get from the dealer. I have been in with my 08 LWB at least 9 times and at this point all sensors and air-struts are replaced - BUT - they told me the driver side must be about 1/2 inches higher at rest to compensate for the driver weight.

Seems odd to me as well
Old 06-29-10, 02:13 PM
HSVRX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normal. Just look at the other manufacturers such as Honda. All their cars have height difference.
Old 06-30-10, 04:43 AM
anwar1337
Driver

They measured 5 other LS460's with the stock rims and all had a difference between .25-.5 inches. I guess this is normal... :\ There was only one car that was the same on both the left & right
Old 03-20-22, 02:14 AM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2007 LS 460L with about 130k miles on it. I have had it about 6months and I have not had any issues until of recently. After a bad stint of weather I ran over some rough terrain but nothing major and I noticed my warning lights came on..abs vsc, and I believe traction control. I went to have the error code read by 2 mechanics and they both got front right wheel speed sensor harness. I scheduled an appointment to have it replaced and noticed shortly after the same front right wheel suspension was sitting lower than the other 3 wheels. It would go back up but intermittently would lower again. ( I posted pictures below) So that mechanic stood me up so I went to lexus dealership with no codes present since they were cleared by previous mechanic and they told me that it is the RF wheel speed sensor harness assembly and right front wheel bearing along with front air struts and actuators totaling $7700..lol. A lexus mechanic informed you could get it fixed alot cheaper elsewhere.
.Scheduled a 2nd opinion with another so called Lexus expert and still no codes and suspension is holding up when I brought it in. Theyre diagnosis was that it had no error codes and tested fine....48hrs later same wheel lowered again and I could not get back in for another appointment for a week. I could not wait since I am wasting alot of money on rentals.. I drove it to Chicago, and this mechanic said the same thing that the suspension is holding up and to bring it back in when it drops again.

2 weeks go by, drove it out of town twice with no issues and now it dropped again but this time when it went back up..it raised the whole passenger side really high like it is a monster truck and the drive is horrific. Every bump feels like i am running over a huge pot hole on that side and this is the current condition. ( Again I have posted pics below.) Car is in great condition otherwise and clean so I do like the car a lot. Does any have any light they could shed on this issue I am having? I am going 3.5 weeks with this lingering issue. I am no mechanic, but maybe some info could help me pointing one in the right direction. Would be much appreciated.

Old 03-20-22, 07:01 AM
Shakka65
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest this possible solution for most electrical lights on an LS.
Disconnect 12v battery - Charge for a day reconnect drive for about 20-30 miles then eventually you will start the car and it should reset itself. Mine occasionally drives like its going over a rough road when it isnt. A light surely follows. Bit cheaper to try this first than to replace random parts going forward - Hope it works
The following users liked this post:
WaFaRa (03-20-22)
Old 03-20-22, 09:16 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Put it on high, drive around then on low and drive around. This might level it out
Old 03-20-22, 09:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

There are adjustment levers at all four struts. It's possible they are out of adjustment. I recall that lifting the car by the frame at a garage can cause this. Do a search here for adjusting air shock height sensors.
Old 03-20-22, 08:13 PM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thank guys. Does anyone know If I drove the vehicle with the suspension raised to what I assume is the max height, a few hours away to another mechanic, would it be safe or would it cause any further issues? The ride is super rough, and every bump feels like im hitting a pothole?

I did get an error code reading for the air suspension today. Same code as before even abs vsc lights didnt come on this time. Error code is RF speed sensor.
Old 03-21-22, 08:52 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Car should lower itself if you drive it at high speed at high level. Try cycling between low and high with drive between and after to see if this reset the suspension system.

Having a code leads me to believe that reset is not going to work but never hurts to try.

Dealer also has a way to reset the suspension/compressor. I had similar issues with my 2010 LWB and it rarely happens after it was reset by the dealer.

Last edited by hfahmy; 03-21-22 at 08:56 AM.