LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 02:30 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Lexus is able to figure out a way to replace the valve springs without removing the engine, then our 07-08 LS's will be able to maintain their resale value. If the engine needs to come out, then all 07-08 LS's will be known as "don't buys" in the used car market. There goes my resale value!
Old 08-16-10, 09:24 PM
RedLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had there's repaired yet?

Greetings from a Nebie. I read this entire post, yet dont see that anyone has had the service performed.
I have a deposit on a CPO'd 08 in Northern California that appears to be an excellent car by all standards, yet the valve spring issue admittedly scares me. The only real issue that scares me is WHO is going to fix the car. My brother-in-law has been a Master-Yoda-Tech with Nissan for over 30 years. I absolutely value his opinion. His persona fear is that Master Tech's arent always "Master Tech's" and that the dealership will have / give extra pressure to the Master Techs to fix the cars quickly (e.g. finish the car in 12hrs even though its a 22hr chargeable fix) Thes dealer is the original slling dealer and I have access to the previous history of it. The only issue previously addressed was wind noise..I can live with that

As I am sure most of you are aware, Lexus can not sell the CPO'd GS/IS/LS models effected by this recall until the fix has been performed. The stealer....Uh, sorry, dealer (Used to that term with BMW Dealers) swear that the fix will be performed "By the middle of September". We have given them until Sept. 15th, or will probably walk from the deal.

I understand there is a boatload of cars to be fixed, but would guarantee that the dealers are going to try and repair in stock product before anything else.

Back to my original question: Has anyone had the repair done yet? Does anyone have a scheduled time? I am under the impression that ALL US dealers are still awaiting parts from Japan.

Thanks ahead of time, I am an avid, contributing member of M5Board.com and look forward to this Group being as helpful and as much of an information sharing/source as I have found it to be. I leave Thursday night to fly to Maryland to help install another members one-off S/C'd Brand spanking new 900+ HP motor in his E39 M5. About 15 members making the pilgrimage to help.

Regards

Steve

P.S. Pardon the grammar in the header...It should be "their"
Attached Thumbnails Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-1765469275.jpg   Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-1765469079.jpg   Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-1765469147.jpg  
Old 08-17-10, 02:36 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

No one I know has had the repair. I spoke with my dealer and they aren't making any appointments until owners receive the recall letter in the mail. I was told by Lexus Corp. the letters would be mailed around August 15th. I haven't seen my letter in the mail. Once I receive the letter, I will schedule an appointment to have the work completed.
Old 08-17-10, 07:25 AM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Another document has recently been added to the Valve Spring Recall file on the NHTSA public server. It is titled "Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)" and is dated 06Jul10.

A quick read doesn't show any significant new information except that it uses the SAFETY word. I will read it again later. It uses again the explanation that this is a small thing and that only a very small percentage of the cars will exhibit problems. Political spin and Manufacturer spin are a real art.

As yet there is no indication that the "Draft Customer Notification" has been sent to NHTSA. As I understand it, that is a required milestone in the process and will likely cause a stir in the press when it happens.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-17-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 02:55 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

It's been delayed until sometime in Sept. Lexus is trying to get enough special service tools to all the dealers.

Last edited by Craig B; 08-17-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 09:52 PM
RedLS460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Another document has recently been added to the Valve Spring Recall file on the NHTSA public server. It is titled "Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)" and is dated 06Jul10.

A quick read doesn't show any significant new information except that it uses the SAFETY word. I will read it again later. It uses again the explanation that this is a small thing and that only a very small percentage of the cars will exhibit problems. Political spin and Manufacturer spin are a real art.

As yet there is no indication that the "Draft Customer Notification" has been sent to NHTSA. As I understand it, that is a required milestone in the process and will likely cause a stir in the press when it happens.
Originally Posted by Craig B
It's been delayed until sometime in Sept. Lexus is trying to get enough special service tools to all the dealers.
Thanks guys...

I know your personally prejudiced on this vehcile and its reputation speaks for itself.

Would you'all wait for the car under these circumstances and still make the purchase?

Last edited by RedLS460; 08-17-10 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 11:17 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS460
Would you'all wait for the car under these circumstances and still make the purchase?
I'd get an '09 instead of '07 or '08 to skip the recall.
Old 08-18-10, 09:53 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

well, if you can wait for an 09, that might be a good route...if not, i guess it is nice to know that if you don't go in to get it fixed that it will still be covered should something go wrong..at least thats what I have gathered trhough some of the posts in this thread anyway
Old 08-18-10, 12:53 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not so sure I heard of anyone getting solid assurance that if they elect not to get the TSB done, having received the notification letter, they would be covered for a free fix in the future, or for that matter, coverage of any associated damage if any occurs. I would want to see such assurance in writing if possible.
Old 08-20-10, 12:52 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Just to let everyone know the tools will be available soon for the recall. The motor will not have to be taken apart to complete the recall. From what I have heard you will also receive an extension on the power train warranty on the vehicle.
Old 08-20-10, 12:54 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAXLS460
Just to let everyone know the tools will be available soon for the recall. The motor will not have to be taken apart to complete the recall. From what I have heard you will also receive an extension on the power train warranty on the vehicle.
What is your source?
Old 08-20-10, 12:58 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dimapb
What is your source?

I'm a service advisor for a Lexus dealership.
Old 08-20-10, 01:25 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

I spoke with Lexus Corp. today.They told me since they've come up with special service tools, the engine won't have to be dropped out. Lexus will send out letters for the 6 cyl. engines first, then letters will go out sometime in Sept. for the V8's. They will extend the power train warranty like I posted before.
Old 08-20-10, 06:49 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Man this is the better news I have been hoping for.

Thanks to Craig B and JaxLS460 for the update.
Old 08-27-10, 05:16 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve recall & oil change service

Hello...

I looked around here but coukd not find the recall thread... My 07 ls460l will be in for the valve spring recall in a few months according to my service advisor -- they will call me to set it up.

My car is due for 45k service, basically an oil change and air filter replacement. Does an oil change happen with the recall work?

Service reps says i muat pay for the service and then have the recall work done....

That's fine with me but i wanted to run that by the experts in here to see if that makes sense.

BTW... I have not received a recall notice in the mail yet....

Thanks in advance for any advice, guidance....

Last edited by g26; 08-27-10 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement