LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 05:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I brought my car in Friday for oil and filter. I asked the service rep about the recall. She told me they would be sending notices out to customers very soon. I asked her if Lexus would forego the recall and warranty the valve springs beyond the normal warranty. She said they would not do that, the recall had to be performed.

I have to tell you I'm not looking forward to having this work done. I just know they are going to screw up who knows how many other things i the process of pulling the wole engine.
Old 09-12-10, 08:39 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I brought my car in Friday for oil and filter. I asked the service rep about the recall. She told me they would be sending notices out to customers very soon. I asked her if Lexus would forego the recall and warranty the valve springs beyond the normal warranty. She said they would not do that, the recall had to be performed.

I have to tell you I'm not looking forward to having this work done. I just know they are going to screw up who knows how many other things i the process of pulling the wole engine.
I wouldn't get my shirt in a knot just yet. There were recent postings on this forum that the fix does not require dropping the engine and, a posting from the UAE, had the work done already. He reported it was not a big job. Hopefully this proves to be generally true. In the meantime sit tight.
Old 09-12-10, 12:36 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Lexus came up with special service tools that won't require them to drop the engine. As soon as I receive the letter, I'm going to schedule the service.
Old 09-13-10, 02:28 PM
ARfan395
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several people over on the GS forum have already gotten the recall fixed...so far their comments were positive, reporting the engines are running smoother.

I would like to know if dealers are being proactive and performing the recall on cars that are on their used lots, or just waiting until someone buys them and then get it fixed? Hopefully the former.
Old 09-13-10, 07:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I don't know which is more unsettling ..... dropping the engine ...... or mechanics using "special" tools for the first time.
Old 09-14-10, 06:13 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just made my day!!!

Logically I'd like to have my car up to snuff service wise. But to be blunt, I don't think Lexus techs are this special breed of people that are unerring and genetically engineered by Lexus. They are regular people with a shiny brand surrounding them. I wasn't about to trust them with the mammoth task of dropping my beloved engine to perform this service. If this was the case, I decided to wager that my valve springs were part of the good batch and forego the surgery...

Official news of this new tool just made my day! WOOHOO!
Old 09-14-10, 07:46 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Is there a way to I'D the VIN to let us know whether we need to have the "OPERATION" done or not! (By Date & Place of Birth)
Old 09-14-10, 08:38 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTALEX
Is there a way to I'D the VIN to let us know whether we need to have the "OPERATION" done or not! (By Date & Place of Birth)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5772503-post6.html
Old 09-15-10, 09:34 AM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

A new document regarding the valve spring recall has just been posted on the NHTSA site. It says that notification to owners of V6 engines began on 01Sep10. And, it says that the "Draft Owner Notification Letter" for owners of cars with V8 engines was submitted to NHTSA on 10Sep10. It says that the notification letters for V6 engines and V8 engines are identical "with the exception of estimated repair time".

I think the notification letters for LS owners will be in the mail any day now.
Old 09-16-10, 09:00 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Still haven't received a letter for Lexus, but my service adviser called out of the blue yesterday and left me a voice mail asking if he should "order the parts needed to perform the valve spring replacement on my car." I called back and left him a voice mail saying "yes". So I guess the dealers have been told to contact customers about the recall and get the ball rolling. This was Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, CA.
Old 09-16-10, 06:33 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Got another call today saying they had the parts and that I can drop off the car. I brought it over and they had an RX loaner waiting for me. My service adviser said it should only take them a day to perform the fix. I'll be the first LS600hL they will have done (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing). He also said Lexus is giving a full extended warranty to all cars that are having this valve replacement performed. I guess I'll see what "full extended warranty" means when I get the paperwork on it.
Old 09-16-10, 09:30 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Got another call today saying they had the parts and that I can drop off the car. I brought it over and they had an RX loaner waiting for me. My service adviser said it should only take them a day to perform the fix. I'll be the first LS600hL they will have done (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing). He also said Lexus is giving a full extended warranty to all cars that are having this valve replacement performed. I guess I'll see what "full extended warranty" means when I get the paperwork on it.
Yeah, please let us all know what it means in greater detail!
Old 09-17-10, 10:21 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Full extended warranty sounds awesome.

Please let us know if this is the Lexus Platinum extended warranty or what the terms are.
Old 09-19-10, 09:51 AM
matchead
Driver School Candidate

I care absolutely nothing about Lexus giving me a Platinum extended warranty. I've already bought that. My concern is the deminished value of my LS460 as a result. I've been told by 2 very knowledgable mechanics/"car guys" that once we allow this to be done, the value of my car will drop as much as $18k. That is what I'm concerned about.
Old 09-19-10, 11:16 AM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matchead
I care absolutely nothing about Lexus giving me a Platinum extended warranty. I've already bought that. My concern is the deminished value of my LS460 as a result. I've been told by 2 very knowledgable mechanics/"car guys" that once we allow this to be done, the value of my car will drop as much as $18k. That is what I'm concerned about.
Why would the value drop? They are correcting a known issue?

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement