LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 03:48 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm taking mine in next week...
Old 09-29-10, 05:54 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slam_w2k
I was in Ray Catena Lexus NJ for the seat TSIB. It took most than 2 hours for them just to get the drivers seat done, so they give me a loaner then tell me they will call me when the passenger side are done.

They call me later on to ask me if I want to do the valve spring recall. I told them no, don't want to be their experiment. Then I ask how many had they done, they said 10-20. Anyone have experience with the dealer? Should I go ahead now or wait another month or two.
Honestly, Id wait a month or so if it were me..
Old 09-29-10, 08:16 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

onepointon, I briefly looked at the pdf provided by Lex-NH, do you techs really tighten each nuts and bolts to correct torque or by feel. That's what makes me nervous. No offense intended, just an honest question.
Old 09-30-10, 04:15 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bsl888
onepointon, I briefly looked at the pdf provided by Lex-NH, do you techs really tighten each nuts and bolts to correct torque or by feel. That's what makes me nervous. No offense intended, just an honest question.
I would say that all of the bolts that they provide torque settings for are getting torqued. Especially the internal engine bolts like the cam housing caps and the cam gears. No decent tech ever just runs those bolts in with an impact, and if they did, they would have a talking to by another tech or a manager.

Like I said, Lexus has specially trained techs for the LS and I would image most dealers are doing the same as mine in selecting techs capable of doing the repair. Havings said that, your getting the best techs working on the LS repairs. Ive heard some stories of dealers in my area of the US damaging IS and GS motors (very few), but we have not had any issues here.

We realize this is a very big repair. It goes back to me saying that we have it on our minds that if something gets damaged, its on us.

My advise, as is with really any recall, is to wait a few weeks to a month until the techs are dealers get good with the repair before taking yours in. There shouldn't be anything to be worried about with getting it done if your on the fense.
Old 09-30-10, 04:52 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

onepointon,

I'm glad you started posting again and adding great insight/value into this recall for us, the stock of this thread just went up again big time!
Old 09-30-10, 09:47 AM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, onepointon. Your reassurance helps. The service advisor I go to will call me once their dealership has finished doing at least 20 LS's. They are starting with the dealer stock of CPO's.
Old 09-30-10, 10:01 AM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My thought is that the failure rate of these springs will increase significantly as the mileage on these engines increases. The fact that the replacement spring diameter has been increased tells me that the original design was flawed. This is one reason Lexus has to replace all the springs. The financial picture looks very different when the failure rate increases and yes there is the reputation issue.

I have 53K on my 07 LS and I was hoping to get at least 200k trouble free miles - so much for hope.
Old 09-30-10, 02:03 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bsl888
They are starting with the dealer stock of CPO's.
Thats what we did. Our FTS came down to our dealership and we used a in stock vehicle, then each tech did a couple stock vehicles on their own before doing actual customer cars. All of our CPO's and Pre-owned cars are ginea pigs.

Originally Posted by chris07ls
My thought is that the failure rate of these springs will increase significantly as the mileage on these engines increases. The fact that the replacement spring diameter has been increased tells me that the original design was flawed. This is one reason Lexus has to replace all the springs. The financial picture looks very different when the failure rate increases and yes there is the reputation issue.

I have 53K on my 07 LS and I was hoping to get at least 200k trouble free miles - so much for hope.
I would say I have to disagree. Most of those rumors you are going to hear are assumptions made by people who really do not have hard evidence. Back in 2007 or 2008 there was a guy on here that posted about his having a valve spring failure. The symptom was running rough with a check engine light. I have seen a few at my dealership, maybe a hand full, and one that had a catastrophic failure that I worked on. Most of the ones that I have seen have been low mileage cars, but its really a pretty low number of cars that have failed in relation to how many vehicles are out there. I would put money down that there are quite a few dealers out there that have never even seen failures. If the spring has a flaw from the factory, I would assume it’s not going to take 100,000 miles to break.

I do not know if you guys read autoblog, but here is a post I contributed to and these are pictures I took and submitted to them. I dont know who the other person is that submitted the video of the GS460. The pictures are from a 2007 IS350. It shows a close up of the fracture, and what it looks like broken in the car. You can see that it has enough spring tension on the keeper to keep the valve in the head, even though it is broken.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/02/w...-springs-w-vi/

Last edited by onepointon; 09-30-10 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 04:51 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
Thats what we did. Our FTS came down to our dealership and we used a in stock vehicle, then each tech did a couple stock vehicles on their own before doing actual customer cars. All of our CPO's and Pre-owned cars are ginea pigs.

I would say I have to disagree. Most of those rumors you are going to hear are assumptions made by people who really do not have hard evidence. Back in 2007 or 2008 there was a guy on here that posted about his having a valve spring failure. The symptom was running rough with a check engine light. I have seen a few at my dealership, maybe a hand full, and one that had a catastrophic failure that I worked on. Most of the ones that I have seen have been low mileage cars, but its really a pretty low number of cars that have failed in relation to how many vehicles are out there. I would put money down that there are quite a few dealers out there that have never even seen failures. If the spring has a flaw from the factory, I would assume it’s not going to take 100,000 miles to break.

I do not know if you guys read autoblog, but here is a post I contributed to and these are pictures I took and submitted to them. I dont know who the other person is that submitted the video of the GS460. The pictures are from a 2007 IS350. It shows a close up of the fracture, and what it looks like broken in the car. You can see that it has enough spring tension on the keeper to keep the valve in the head, even though it is broken.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/02/w...-springs-w-vi/
Why do you think they are increasing the spring size from 3.3mm to 3.5mm if they cleaned up the manufacturing process to control foreign objects in the spring material?
Old 09-30-10, 07:18 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris07ls
Why do you think they are increasing the spring size from 3.3mm to 3.5mm if they cleaned up the manufacturing process to control foreign objects in the spring material?
I had not heard the dia. of the spring material was different. I will measure a new one vs an old one tomorrow at work. I'm not an engineer and I don't have my hands in those types of decisions, so really, its beyond me. I would imagine it has to do with making it stronger?

I dont really know. Cheap insurance?
Old 09-30-10, 07:51 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

If you read carefully what has been said about this issue on the Internet you will see that the problem is a design error, the valve springs in the '07s and '08s were too small, and not a manufacturing process problem. The spring diameter was increased from 3.3 MM to 3.5 MM for '09 and '10 models. The manufacturing process can only be controlled to the extent that spring diameters of 3.5 MM and larger can be assured to not weaken or break.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...blem-in-2008/1

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-30-10 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 09-30-10, 08:10 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Im not doubting thats true, it is news to me though. I am curious to measure them now. Keep in mind, just because they changed the size of the springs in 2008, does mean thats admission of fault. It could of been changed because of other factors.

The article only suggests Lexus knew about the problem back in 2008, it doesn't get technical. Lexus knew a few vehicles had the problem back in 2008, but the amount of vehicles that had the problem were so small they probably didn't realize so many cars would be affected. As I stated above, I would put money that if Toyota and Lexus hadn't of had the acceleration issues, this wouldn't even be an issue. I bet a very high majority of the people here who aren't getting the recall done will never have issues. They more or less didnt want it to get out of hand in the media.
Old 09-30-10, 09:38 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
Im not doubting thats true, it is news to me though. I am curious to measure them now. Keep in mind, just because they changed the size of the springs in 2008, does mean thats admission of fault. It could of been changed because of other factors.

The article only suggests Lexus knew about the problem back in 2008, it doesn't get technical. Lexus knew a few vehicles had the problem back in 2008, but the amount of vehicles that had the problem were so small they probably didn't realize so many cars would be affected. As I stated above, I would put money that if Toyota and Lexus hadn't of had the acceleration issues, this wouldn't even be an issue. I bet a very high majority of the people here who aren't getting the recall done will never have issues. They more or less didnt want it to get out of hand in the media.
This might help:

Take a look at what Lexus filed with the U.S. Government - it describes the problem and the solution.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V309-8305.pdf

(This link is in post 66)
Old 10-01-10, 12:54 AM
cleanm3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i took my LS in for noise coming from the motor at start up. I usually never drive the LS my wife drives it mostly but i was just so happen to be in the garage when she was pulling out and heard the noise and ask her to call the SA. she also told me that it the car stalled on her the other day and she forgot to mention it to me. my SA called today and is doing the valve spring replacement starting monday morning. He said only the top 2 tech at the dealership will be working on the car! and assure me that everything will be 100% perfect b/c toyota will not be paying for any mess ups dealership tech might do. basically you break you buy it! so well see in the next week when the car is done and how she drives....hopefully like she did off the show room floor!! also they will be extending the warranty to 100k. btw i have an 07 lwb with 24k miles just in case anybody is wondering.
Old 10-01-10, 08:16 AM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Cleanm3" ... they are extending your warranty? Hmmm ... I took mine in yesterday and I asked if Lexus was going to extend my warranty or any other compensation for this screw up ... and the answer was a definitive NO lol ....

My dealership also said that some guy was flown in and held a class with the most advanced techs on this issue. Said that about 40 GS's were done so far and 5 LS's ... so we'll see how this turns out.

Had a lexus since 1995, and I'm almost on the verge of saying "I SHOULD OF GOT A S550" lol.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement