LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 03:20 PM
zxc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08ls460l
One thing to check is your RPM. If your engine RPM is more than about 700 rpm in park or at stop, you need to take your car back to the dealer for a recheck.
Iwill do that . Thank you.
Old 11-15-10, 10:05 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

mine is at the dealer now while I am on biz travel...getting an oil change and alignment free due to some new swirls when they ran my car through the terminator wash last time it was there..smh
Old 11-16-10, 05:27 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

A question for everyone. How do you get the $500 gift certificate? Does Lexus automatically send you one after the VSR is done? Do you have to have purchased an extended warranty before they send you the gift certificate?

Thanks
Jarm
Old 11-16-10, 06:46 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08ls460l
One thing to check is your RPM. If your engine RPM is more than about 700 rpm in park or at stop, you need to take your car back to the dealer for a recheck.
Idle speed would not have this type of impact on gas mileage. Also, the idle speed will vary depending on the engine temperature, the outside air temperature, whether the air conditioner is on, charging status etc. so dont just look at it once and make any conclusions.

Also, per my postings about half way thru all this - there is nothing mechanically being done that would affect idle speed, gas mileage, or the need for an oil or coolant change. Not saying there may at times be a need for some adjustments, but it is unlikely the cause was changing out the valve springs themselves.
Old 11-16-10, 06:55 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarm
A question for everyone. How do you get the $500 gift certificate? Does Lexus automatically send you one after the VSR is done? Do you have to have purchased an extended warranty before they send you the gift certificate?

Thanks
Jarm
This has been covered earlier by me and later by others. In summary, this is done automatically by Lexus after the dealer submits the repair paperwork.

If you already have purchased an extended warranty before the work is performed (the definition of how much time "before" is apparently under discussion by Lexus), you will receive the $500 gift certif good for Lexus goods. If you dont have an extended warranty on file, Lexus will extend the "powertrain warranty" to 100,000 miles (no extension of original warranty time though).

In either case, you also receive $1,500 off your next purchase or lease if used within the next 12 months.

For the record, this is all actually being done by "Lexus Financial" the financing arm of Lexus.

Last edited by TexasTex; 11-16-10 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-17-10, 09:51 AM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been about a week since I had the VSR done. This morning while my wife was going out with the LS, outside of the car, I noticed the engine is running much less noisy. Inside, while driving I never noticed. So like most everyone mentioned the engine is quieter after the VSR.
Old 11-20-10, 03:18 PM
beun
Rookie

Got my recall letter in the mail this morning. I will have to wait till after the holidays. Lets see if I can make to Miami and back.
Old 11-20-10, 08:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My dealership was so busy with V8s they said they couldnt get to my LS until mid december
Old 11-22-10, 02:44 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just brought the LS home from the dealership after the valve springs replacement. The engine runs fine, seems a bit quieter at idle, no acceleration problems (was sort of worried the computer updates might get lost with the battery disconnect). The gas tank was filled. The only odd thing is the computer says 10.9 MPG since last refill. It should read at least 22-24 MPG. Funny, when I got home the wife says your recall letter just came in the mail.
Old 11-22-10, 04:16 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Just brought the LS home from the dealership after the valve springs replacement. The engine runs fine, seems a bit quieter at idle, no acceleration problems (was sort of worried the computer updates might get lost with the battery disconnect). The gas tank was filled. The only odd thing is the computer says 10.9 MPG since last refill. It should read at least 22-24 MPG. Funny, when I got home the wife says your recall letter just came in the mail.
They might have filled your car up with regular unleaded. I had to tell my dealer to only use premium. The porters only have access to regular at my dealership. The shop foreman used his own credit card to fill my vehicle. I'm sure the dealership cut him a check...
Old 11-22-10, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

when they do the recall they have to disconnect the battery, resetting the whole ecu. mpg numbers might take some time to get back to the right numbers.
Old 11-23-10, 01:06 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Seems Lexus is working their way from East to West, as I just got my notification today for the vsr. As we have only one Lexus dealership in Hawaii I don't have the choices that you all have on the mainland as to where to get it fixed. To my knowledge their are less than a dozen LS600HLs on the island. I know the mechanics here have no experience with the Hybrid models, so I am really not looking forward to them working on it. I happened to see one of the shops with a Toyota V6 pulled out of the chassis lying on a bench disassembled for problems with the camshaft and valves. The most disturbing thing to see was two mechanics scratching and shaking their heads, then leaving for lunch leaving the whole assembly uncovered. I may have missed some posts, has anyone else with an LS600HL had theirs done? Have you had any problems mechanical or electrical after the fix?
Old 11-23-10, 10:39 PM
Lex-NH
Driver School Candidate

Default Hawaiian LS600HL

I think you may be a candidate for "fix as fail". Many here have reported high mileage on their LS460's - one up to 130,000 miles without the VS failure. But there have also been several VS failures reported here.

Back in July Lexus published– “Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected.”

You chances of these "head scratchers" screwing up the VSR job and other more costly things in your Hybrid are probably much higher than 0.2%. Remember that the dealer is not reimbursed for screw-up’s by Lexus.

Of course there is the safety issue and inconvenience of having a road failure. Don’t know – but would the electric drive allow driving to a safe place off highway?

I certainly wouldn’t offer up a $120,000 LS600HL for their training program.

My LS460 is garaged for the New England winter and will have the VSR done in April.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-24-10, 12:06 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Just got mine back yesterday from the dealer. It does seem to be a little quieter, before i took it in, it did have some ticking, but i don't hear it near as much now. Fresh tank of gas as well. My advisor said i would get the $500 as well, not sure when that is or how that works, i assume as folks say i will get once paperwork is submitted by dealer to Lexus of America. It's done now, will wait and see how things work out
Old 11-24-10, 01:09 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the car fails due to an issue with the valve springs after the warranty expires, will Lexus still take care of it?

I haven't read anything about time limits. So does that make it an open-ended thing?

Some people sold their car already and now the car is with the new owner. Which owner will get the $500 gift certificate? If it's the latter, where do they get the newer owner's information from?

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement