LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this valve spring recall technically includes a tank of gas
Old 12-06-10, 02:36 PM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Team - I dropped my girl off today to have a few things remedied including the VS recall. A few interesting notes...

1.) The people at Cherry Hill Lexus know that I am a stickler and I mention CL often. Interestingly, the lead tech/foreman is attending to all my work and the rep actually mentioned this extra care to encourage positive PR on the board

2.) I am having the glove compartment TSB done. Now here's the catch... I've already had this service performed. What I didn't realize was that they have two flavors, one to replace the GC door and one to replace the entire mechanism. Apparently I had only the door replaced which resulted in a tighter fit but included a fancy new rattle in the process. Who knew?

3.) I'm having the seat TSB performed. This includes the new cushion, leather et al. I assume that it has to be performed as a whole because the heating / cooling mechanism would be hard to properly re-install if only the foam was replaced.

4.) I'm having the door glass changed to the double pane for the upper ear area noise. I performed the triangle fix and they are aware of it. They are only replacing the glass and avoiding the other components from the failed TSB.

More details to follow!

P.S. - total estimated service time including the parts ordering/delivery/install is 1 - 1.5 weeks.
Old 12-06-10, 02:55 PM
pibob
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
this valve spring recall technically includes a tank of gas
When I dropped off my LS460 for the VS, I had a full tank of gas. for this reason they could not fill my tank.
My Question is should the SR tell the customer to bring his auto in with an empty tank.
I did not get the letter I brought my auto in for other service and they did the VS.
Does anyone think Lexus should reimburse me the $65 for the full tank of gas, since I was not told that the VS was to be done?
Old 12-06-10, 03:01 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
Team - I dropped my girl off today to have a few things remedied including the VS recall. A few interesting notes...

1.) The people at Cherry Hill Lexus know that I am a stickler and I mention CL often. Interestingly, the lead tech/foreman is attending to all my work and the rep actually mentioned this extra care to encourage positive PR on the board

2.) I am having the glove compartment TSB done. Now here's the catch... I've already had this service performed. What I didn't realize was that they have two flavors, one to replace the GC door and one to replace the entire mechanism. Apparently I had only the door replaced which resulted in a tighter fit but included a fancy new rattle in the process. Who knew?

3.) I'm having the seat TSB performed. This includes the new cushion, leather et al. I assume that it has to be performed as a whole because the heating / cooling mechanism would be hard to properly re-install if only the foam was replaced.

4.) I'm having the door glass changed to the double pane for the upper ear area noise. I performed the triangle fix and they are aware of it. They are only replacing the glass and avoiding the other components from the failed TSB.

More details to follow!

P.S. - total estimated service time including the parts ordering/delivery/install is 1 - 1.5 weeks.
I didn't even know about the Glove Box Issue! I'm gonna ask when I drop it off.
Old 12-06-10, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pibob
When I dropped off my LS460 for the VS, I had a full tank of gas. for this reason they could not fill my tank.
My Question is should the SR tell the customer to bring his auto in with an empty tank.
I did not get the letter I brought my auto in for other service and they did the VS.
Does anyone think Lexus should reimburse me the $65 for the full tank of gas, since I was not told that the VS was to be done?
lol, you can try, but i don't know how far it will get you. the instruction is to top off the gas, but i don't think they say anywhere to advise customers to bring in the car empty. i know the technician who works on my car so he told me to bring in the car empty.
Old 12-07-10, 11:14 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, you can try, but i don't know how far it will get you. the instruction is to top off the gas, but i don't think they say anywhere to advise customers to bring in the car empty. i know the technician who works on my car so he told me to bring in the car empty.
+1, I also know the technician and he told me to come in on empty...
Old 12-07-10, 11:56 AM
ls460love
Driver

With all do respect, is all this chatter and strategy really being conducted to obtain a free tank of fuel?!?!?
Old 12-07-10, 01:21 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

double pane glass = Lamisafe glass? This only for 2 front doors or all four doors?
Old 12-07-10, 08:17 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
With all do respect, is all this chatter and strategy really being conducted to obtain a free tank of fuel?!?!?
not really a strategy, it is part of the service for the recall, the dealer will top off your fuel tank as a thank you for a 3600.00+ service call and they will also wash the vehicle. In my case, I noticed they didn't top the tank off (it was on empty) and when I called them back, they apologized and said just bring it back or they would fill it up next time.
Old 12-07-10, 08:33 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car's tank was full when I dropped the car in for this recall, so they gave me a $50 gift card. And the drive train warranty has been extended to 100k miles, no charge.
Old 12-13-10, 08:08 AM
mistermet
Rookie

I called my dealer today to arrange for the valve spring replacement. I've always been very happy with their service, particularly their policy of "no appointment necessary". However, when I called today, I was told to just bring the car in at my convenience and it would be taken care of although, because of a large backlog, it might take up to 2 weeks before my car was done. I told them that was not acceptable to me because I didn't want my car sitting on their lot for a week or so just waiting for the service. They said they would get back to me and make an exception and set up an appointment. They were very nice about it so I have no complaints so far.
Has anyone else experienced something like this? It seems from reading the posts here that everyone has had an appointment for performing the recall. Am I being unreasonable for not wanting my car to sit on the dealers lot for an extended period of time?
Old 12-13-10, 09:12 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should make an appointment and drop it off when they are ready to work on it. This is not a regular Oil Change. This is a pretty big job, about $4K in total cost, at least in my case it was. Most dealerships only have 2 - 4 techs trained to perform this recall.
Old 12-13-10, 01:49 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
You should make an appointment and drop it off when they are ready to work on it. This is not a regular Oil Change. This is a pretty big job, about $4K in total cost, at least in my case it was. Most dealerships only have 2 - 4 techs trained to perform this recall.
I agree, make an appointment...
Old 12-14-10, 07:10 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Dropped mine off at the dealer last Thursday for the VSR & the 25,000 mi service. Picked it up this afternoon and so far, everything seems to be OK. I did check under the hood before leaving the dealership and found that a couple of the plastic plugs that secure the battery compartment cover were missing. Pointed it out to the service advisor and he had them replaced immediately. I had an RX loaner. They washed the car, but did not fill the gas tank.

I had to reset the memory settings for the driver's seat, the mirrors and the steering wheel. Also had to reset the radio presets. Thankfully the stored phone numbers were still there.

I will not be surprised if I find that a few other things need to be reset.
Old 12-17-10, 03:53 PM
baysurfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dimapb
I don't have a recall letter yet and I made an appointment with my dealer (CB of Newport News) two weeks ago for the the June 6th 2011. Lexus themselves said I don't need the letter but the dealer isn't in any hurry if you don't have it.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement