LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 05:54 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baysurfer
I don't have a recall letter yet and I made an appointment with my dealer (CB of Newport News) two weeks ago for the the June 6th 2011. Lexus themselves said I don't need the letter but the dealer isn't in any hurry if you don't have it.
June 6th?!?!? Are you serious?!?! Wow! I could see 2 - 4 weeks delay, but not 7 months. I would be calling a different dealer.
Old 01-07-11, 04:42 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my LS600hl in for the vsr on Wednesday Jan 5, 9:00am and got it back today Friday Jan 7, 12:00pm. I was the last 600hl on the list of eight in Hawaii. Visited the shop and talked to the mechanic, said nothing special about replacing the valves, just that it was more labor intensive because of the high voltage, sensors and electrical clips that have to be removed and reattached. I also got to see the "special valve tool" that Toyota made specifically for the valve change (have picture if anyone interested) so that the motor didn't have to be removed. According to the tech and from my own observation there is more than enough room to do the vsr in the engine bay. They were doing it the old fashioned way (close valves, compressed air, etc.) Although this was time consuming it was faster than setting up the "special valve tool". Car feels and runs the same, can't tell yet if there are going to be problems so I'll wait and see. By the way inspected the engine by after I got home, removed all the plastic covers and visually checked to see if anything was out of place or not put back properly, looks good and all the plastic "rivets" were in place.
Old 01-07-11, 07:30 PM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

JM told me drop it off on a Monday and it takes a week. Anyone try Palm Beach?
Old 01-08-11, 03:09 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine VSR done at Palm Beach. When I called for an appointment, the first available date was 4 weeks later. I had it done in early December. Dropped the car off early Thursday AM, It was ready on the following Monday. However, since I also had them perform the 25,00 mile service and had another issue corrected, it took until Tuesday until everything was completed. I had an RX loaner.
Old 01-08-11, 01:21 PM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

My first post here. I was planning to buy an '07 this spring but will go for an '09. I really don't like the idea of buyig a car that had to have the engine removed and all of the springs replaced. Had I owned one already, then it is what it is and I would live with it. I won't choose to buy one with a known major defect despite the fix (which is a massive undertaking). As to whether this hurts resale posed in early posts, I would say yes. As a buyer, I am avoiding all 07-08 460s, if I am doing that there will be others who will do likewise. Before buying any car, I go to the forums first and learn beyond the headlines on CNN and Google. This is a great site.
Old 01-08-11, 03:04 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

They don't have to remove the engine to change the valve springs. Toyota developed special service tools so the engine does not have to be dropped from the vehicles.

Good luck with your search...
Old 01-08-11, 08:51 PM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
They don't have to remove the engine to change the valve springs. Toyota developed special service tools so the engine does not have to be dropped from the vehicles.

Good luck with your search...
That is far better, good to hear that, thanks.
Old 01-08-11, 10:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I picked mine up a week ago and the car feels great. I have even taken the motor up to 6k rpm a few times and it feels smooth at the top of the rpm range as well. Its idles more quietly and the mpgs have stayed the same
Old 01-10-11, 11:23 AM
Grisik
Rookie

Did anyone get thier oil changed as part of the vsr ? Took mine to Rivercenter Lexus in Covington KY today and they wanted me to pay for an oil change after it was done. If not they would just add the correct amount of oil. It's bad enough they give me an ES350, you'd think they would change the oil too.
Old 01-10-11, 11:43 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grisik
Did anyone get thier oil changed as part of the vsr ? Took mine to Rivercenter Lexus in Covington KY today and they wanted me to pay for an oil change after it was done. If not they would just add the correct amount of oil. It's bad enough they give me an ES350, you'd think they would change the oil too.
There is no need to change or add oil during this procedure. They are pulling your leg and if your car needs oil, something else is wrong with your engine.
Old 01-10-11, 12:06 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

They didn't need to change or add oil to my vehicle. Something sounds fishy.
Was your vehicle due for an oil change. I've never had to add oil in between changes...
Old 01-10-11, 05:45 PM
Grisik
Rookie

They had not even started on it when they called. They said they recommended changing the oil when the VSR was done. I think they were just trying to sell me something because the next question was "Your tires are getting a little thin, would you be interested in getting some while the car is here ?"
Old 01-10-11, 07:01 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

They had not even started on it when they called. They said they recommended changing the oil when the VSR was done. I think they were just trying to sell me something because the next question was "Your tires are getting a little thin, would you be interested in getting some while the car is here ?"
That seems to be the standard business model for a few of the shameless Lexus dealerships in the Houston metropolitan area.
Old 01-11-11, 05:39 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Default When they do take out your engine. . . .

I guess that is one upside to my replacement going bad and the engine coming out. . .I got every major fluid replaced. Oil/trans/coolant/brake, and probably more. The only thing that stayed on my car were the rear tires. As chronicled in pictures earlier in this post, everything else was removed from the car and on the floor.

I agree, that if it goes well, and just the springs are replaced, an oil change would be unnecessary. Any oil lost would be replaced when they re-seat the valves and springs.
Old 01-11-11, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

? if you read, i believe they have a special tool to do the work without taking out the engine

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement