LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 auction value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 01:49 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 auction value?

Hello,

I am looking to get my dad into an LS460. They are about 34k on the low end. Does anybody know what these can go for at auction or any way to find out? He doesn't want to spend more than 30k. I would assume that at auction one could be had in the high 20's at least. Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-10, 01:10 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bradwillia
Hello,

I am looking to get my dad into an LS460. They are about 34k on the low end. Does anybody know what these can go for at auction or any way to find out? He doesn't want to spend more than 30k. I would assume that at auction one could be had in the high 20's at least. Any thoughts?
High 20's, NO WAY ... maybe if you get one from a unreliable source with crazy miles. You are gonna pay mid to high 30's for a decent one, even more if you buy it CPO from a certified lexus dealer. And I'm only referring to the SMB, not the LWB.

Good luck bro
Old 07-11-10, 04:13 PM
stever500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking too and it seems like $32k-34k is the very lowest pricing on these so far. That's with higher miles.
Old 07-11-10, 06:56 PM
elite7
Driver

Hello,

Yeah probably 34k on the low end with more than 50,000 miles meaning no warranty. LS430's are still going for mid 20's. It would be impossible to find a somewhat decent ls460 for less than $34-35,000 right now.

If you can get a 2007 LS460 for 35k with around 40,000 miles you would be lucky. However the car will have prior body work done to it.

When you go to dealers they are more pricey but for the most good ones will sell cars that are accident free. At the auctions its hard to find cars that haven't been in an accident. If they are accident free the price skyrockets.

If he doesnt want to spend more than 30,000 he will have to buy a 2007 with 70,000 miles at bare minimum with no navigation, mark levinson, etc., or wait probably a good 8 months for prices to drop.

Run an autocheck before buying.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by elite7; 07-11-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 07:07 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does it matter what the LS460's go for at auction? You aren't a dealer, so you won't be going to an auction to buy one. The auction price is irrelevant. If your dad is going to be a cheapskate, then he can either move down a class or two to an ES or GS, get an older LS430 or get a base model 460 with high mileage that has been in an accident or two. OR, he could take out a loan and get into a nicely optioned low mileage LS460 right now.
Old 07-11-10, 07:35 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by miniz
What does it matter what the LS460's go for at auction? You aren't a dealer, so you won't be going to an auction to buy one. The auction price is irrelevant. If your dad is going to be a cheapskate, then he can either move down a class or two to an ES or GS, get an older LS430 or get a base model 460 with high mileage that has been in an accident or two. OR, he could take out a loan and get into a nicely optioned low mileage LS460 right now.
Cant even be had for less than $34,000 for anything average (would have a repair or two) which is dealer cost. They arent gonna sell it to you for free.

So they add their fees or percentages on top of this. Plus you still got tax, title, license fees, registration, insurance costs, etc.

Bradwillia in terms of high 20's its not even possible for a dealer to get it at that price from the auction. So there is no way you would be able to get it for high 20's. As i said LS430's are going for mid 20's at their cost which then they add their fees, and etc.

Last edited by elite7; 07-11-10 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 08:40 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe if you can get a friend who is a dealer to buy if for you it can be gotten for $30,000-$34,000! Dealers pay a significantly lower price than the consumer. I attended a few auctions at Manhiem(dealers only auction) and I was blow away. What dealers pay at auction forBenz,BMW,Acura,Lexus and Audi as well as Jaguar is mind blowing!

If you know of a friend or friend of a friend who is a dealer maybe they'll do you a solid and buy one at the price they pay for it and then charge you maybe $2,000 to do this for you. So dealers will do this for friends but, if they dont and cut you a deal for $4,000 to do it for you, thats a deal. They mark up the price of cars they get from auction on lots.

Alot of independent lots, well most independent lots buy via dealer auction. This is why they have more wiggle room and turn the profits they do. Don't be fooled when you see a independent dealer with not such a flashy lot and think they aren't profitable. The cheaper cars go for even less at auction and can be sold for a nice profit to unknowledgeable buyers. Theres the blackbook value and the bluebook value. The blackbook value is for dealers(lower priced auto's) and the bluebook is for the consumers. Ask a dealer about the blackbook value one time. See hoow he/she respends to that. This may also help in buying from a major dealership or independent lot when buying from a traditional consumer perspective.

I think that you can get a 2007 for between $30,000-$34,000 if your a dealer. If your a consumer as 1 member above stated, you may be paying a lower amount due to high miles or less features. All the best with you quest, you need to be patient and maybe you will find what you seek from a considerate dealer willing to allow you to buy for what they pay at the auction for a fee! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 07-11-10 at 08:40 PM. Reason: many
Old 07-11-10, 09:24 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

They are about 34k on the low end. Does anybody know what these can go for at auction or any way to find out? He doesn't want to spend more than 30k.
There are a lot of '07's coming off lease right now, the main people buying these are Lexus dealers, they buy the clean ones, put a little spit&polish on the car, pay Lexus for the certified warranty and then flip it for $40K+. Check your local dealership's used inventory, if you see an '07 for under $40K the miles get ridiculous, and I don't think they certify the car if it's over 70K miles. An '07 with ~20K miles will sell CPO for mid $40's, and that's before you start loading it up (LWB, rear seating packages etc).

Even if you could find out what they sell for at auction, it doesn't matter, they won't sell to you. If you don't know any dealers personally, you're pretty much out of luck.

Your best option is to change his expectations. He's not going to get an '07 LS460 in decent shape at decent miles for $30K. Here's the '07 LS460 that he can buy for under $26K (I'll save you the click, it's wrecked) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-25-900-a.html

He can wait a few years for the prices to come down farther, or he can accept the fact that he'll have to pay more. These cars are $70K+ new and one of the most reliable cars made for the last 15+ years, they don't lose 60% of their value in 3 years without something catastrophic (wrecked, 200K miles) happening.

You might see if he's interested in a CPO'd ES or GS, those can be had for under $30K.
Old 07-12-10, 09:32 AM
Bradwillia
Driver

Thanks for the input. Wow, I find it shocking that a dealer would spend $30k in capital just to make $4k?
Old 07-12-10, 10:56 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Here you go...
This is what a dealer would pay for 2007 LS460 SWB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manheim.pdf (18.1 KB, 575 views)
Old 07-12-10, 11:20 AM
elite7
Driver

Thanks for the input. Wow, I find it shocking that a dealer would spend $30k in capital just to make $4k?
Dimapb's numbers are right but thats their cost and just an approximate guideline not "set in stone" numbers.

If the car is loaded, no accidents/body work, or has low miles it can bring a lot more than those numbers.

As you can see even on the low end they would have to shell out $31,...+ on the low end. Thats just a guideline though. It most likely will not be loaded with options such as navigation, mark levinson, etc. Also remember at $32,000 you are getting a trashed/beat up LS460 that has had many instances of repairs and may even be high mileage. This would not be a good quality vehicle.

They still add their profit to that. As you now can see it would be impossible for you to get it for high 20's when dealers have to shell out $32,000 for a low end LS460 with the auction buyers fees and then they would be selling it to you for free at $32,000 . As i said if you can get it for $35,000 in average condition you would be lucky but expect some prior repairwork. Maybe if you wait another year.

You get what you pay for .

Last edited by elite7; 07-12-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 11:41 AM
drsaab1
Driver School Candidate

yep i am a dealer so i can tell you an average condition ls as listed in the pdf for $35,000 would have paintwork, need 4 tires, maybe have 1 key, need dings taken out, bumpers resprayed... auction fees on that run $500 bucks, then shipping then profit. and no one is making 4k on a car in this internet age. so tires = 700, bumpers = 300, dings = 100, fees = 500, shipping 150, key = 200, so thats about 2000 cost. and a cpo would run max $41k for that so the cpo warranty is 1500 so even the lexus dealer is making max 2500.

people don't ever see the fees in wholesale. a 35k bid car will at least cost 36-37k before retail ready.
Old 07-12-10, 02:31 PM
Driver School Candidate

Here's one CPO 07 LS460 being listed at $36000 with 49k miles with some nice options like nav., self park, sun shade, and Levinson. You should be able to negotiate at least $2-3k off.

http://www.lcpo.com/cpo_podetails.ps...0460&year=2007
Old 07-12-10, 03:09 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by Member
Here's one CPO 07 LS460 being listed at $36000 with 49k miles with some nice options like nav., self park, sun shade, and Levinson. You should be able to negotiate at least $2-3k off.

http://www.lcpo.com/cpo_podetails.ps...0460&year=2007
It may be Certified Pre-Owned but STAY AWAY. Not a good car and not worth it. Even if you get $2,000 off it will still cost $34,000 + Shipping + Registration + Tax + Title + License fees and you are at $36,000+ for a car that has been involved in 2 Accidents .

As i said you get what you pay for.

Involved in 2 Accidents (look at 3rd and 4th picture):
Attached Thumbnails LS460 auction value?-page-1.jpg   LS460 auction value?-page-2.jpg   LS460 auction value?-page-3.jpg   LS460 auction value?-page-4.jpg  

Last edited by elite7; 07-12-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 04:40 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very few dealers actually own their inventory. They put that $30k car straight onto the floor finance policy. They pay interest until it sells, then pay down the remainder of the loan. The faster the sale, the lower the number of interest payments. Thus, they are not tying up $30k of working capital to sell you a car. Paying a little bit in interest to make $4k sounds like a great deal to me, but then in reality they almost never make $4k after all the fees, commissions and repairs. $2k for a non exotic used car is more like it.

Quick Reply: LS460 auction value?