LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking about an LS any advice/ help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 05:54 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What costs?

Originally Posted by unknown87
Hey, i am new on this forum but not new to forums. I have had all types of cars, models, and makes. My car currently as of today is an ISF but due to the ridiculous maintenance costs i am thinking about trading it in for another car. I know I am going from one extreme to another (ISF to LS) but i really enjoyed the smoothness and calm of the LS and simply put fell in Love with the car... Plus it seems that i will be doing more driving and will need a comfortable car and i love the executive feel/ vibe to it.

Any suggestions/ comments/ or concerns you can give would be appreciated. I am interested in what maintenance costs i should expect over the duration of a 36 month lease and if there any issues or secrets only owners know. Thanks for any replies

I'm just curious, I lurk on the IS-F forum and I rarely see any complaints about maintenance costs. What type of costs are you incurring?
airlaird
Old 07-30-10, 03:55 PM
unknown87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, first it was the $1500.00 bill for front bake pads and rotors 9k miles in. Then the $500 oil changes and filters. and what killed me last week was the $5000.00 bill for front and rear brake pads/ rotors as well as 4 new tires (car has 18K miles). I asked around and according to a lot of lexus dealerships this is just the way the car was built because at first i thought i was the problem but I soon understood that the car needs to be maintained with new parts too often. This is one of the reasons i am not sure about getting an LS sport. Brembo brakes means huge bills when brakes are due and i hate that....

Originally Posted by airlaird
I'm just curious, I lurk on the IS-F forum and I rarely see any complaints about maintenance costs. What type of costs are you incurring?
airlaird
Old 07-30-10, 07:09 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, first it was the $1500.00 bill for front bake pads and rotors 9k miles in. Then the $500 oil changes and filters. and what killed me last week was the $5000.00 bill for front and rear brake pads/ rotors as well as 4 new tires (car has 18K miles). I asked around and according to a lot of lexus dealerships this is just the way the car was built because at first i thought i was the problem but I soon understood that the car needs to be maintained with new parts too often. This is one of the reasons i am not sure about getting an LS sport. Brembo brakes means huge bills when brakes are due and i hate that....
Interesting! I figured the Brembo brakes on my Sport would be more than the standard brakes but didn't think huge. Anyone know how much a front brake job with Brembo's run? In any event it's too late and I love the car and the brakes. Probably wouldn't have made a different decision even if I knew how much they cost.
Old 08-04-10, 02:29 PM
lexus7217
Driver School Candidate

Default YES to the 460!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are probably the closest case i can relate too. Although the IS350 and the ISF are different the IS350 is still a sporty car and can accelerate like hell. I know it will be a big difference but Im going to try. Im definitely taking a beating for turning in my ISF after 18 months but I am pretty excited about the LS and the way it rides. Plus i think i might be one of the youngest LS 460 owners ever at my dealership, i just turned 23 lol
unknown87....I think you've beat me....I was 24 when I got my 430. As much as I want a 460 I'm gonna wait it out and keep my 430 for as long as I can. I'm in the market for a sport car now. ISF would be fun, but not with those maintenance costs. I just have my 430 now but enjoy driving around town in the IS loaners. My train of thought is to keep the yacht and pick up a sporty 2 door at some point when I wanna go out and have fun.

btw....where are you in CA? Looking for people around my age with LS's. Not too many. I'm often out in LA.
Old 08-04-10, 11:07 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Well, first it was the $1500.00 bill for front bake pads and rotors 9k miles in. Then the $500 oil changes and filters. and what killed me last week was the $5000.00 bill for front and rear brake pads/ rotors as well as 4 new tires (car has 18K miles).
I had an IS350 and I can see how the ISF could get out of line for maintenance. I do 90% highway driving, and my front tires were shot at 17K miles, the rear's only lasted another 5-7K. Soft rubber from the factory to win comparo articles + no tire rotation = lots of new tires. I got lucky on my brakes though, dusty like you wouldn't believe but they lasted the 43K+ until I traded them in.
Old 08-09-10, 09:38 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Don't do maintenance at the stealership. Sounds expensive 4 tires, brake and rotor for $5K? I think you got ripped off.

As for the LS460, do it. You'll be balling.