LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking about an LS any advice/ help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 02:40 PM
unknown87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about an LS any advice/ help appreciated

************ update***************

Decided to keep my ISF which i love so much despite the crazy repairs. And i just picked up today a LS460 black black with nav, ML, park automatic thingy, etc. Car is awesome!!!! Cant wait to drive it more!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey, i am new on this forum but not new to forums. I have had all types of cars, models, and makes. My car currently as of today is an ISF but due to the ridiculous maintenance costs i am thinking about trading it in for another car. I know I am going from one extreme to another (ISF to LS) but i really enjoyed the smoothness and calm of the LS and simply put fell in Love with the car... Plus it seems that i will be doing more driving and will need a comfortable car and i love the executive feel/ vibe to it.

Any suggestions/ comments/ or concerns you can give would be appreciated. I am interested in what maintenance costs i should expect over the duration of a 36 month lease and if there any issues or secrets only owners know. Thanks for any replies

Last edited by unknown87; 08-26-10 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 02:52 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to consider a Sport version of the LS for 2010, then you would get the smoothness of the LS but the paddles etc that your used to from the ISF? just a thought.

I know Toyota has taken a PR beating as of late for the LS, but they are working on fixing the image and the issue. Its still the most reliable luxury performance sedan for many, many years running. Many people here enjoy certain vintages, some pre-2007 some post, but overall most folks here are passionate about this car. Its a work of art in my opinion. It may not be perfect, but its pretty close in my eyes. The valve spring issue will get a reasonable fix Im sure this year, the options now of dropping the motor dont make any sense to me but in time Im sure they will resove the fix.

I would shoot for a 2010 Sport, they are harder to find, but you are probably a more discerning driver coming over from the ISF.

6 months for me, I have an 07 and enjoy the ride more now then I did even then. Its just a great car.

BTW the LS wont have the 416 ponies your used to.. but 380 is pretty close, it is no slouch when you need to get going.

Last edited by cmasten; 07-27-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 03:00 PM
stever500
Rookie

I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about getting one. What I did was do tons of searches using the search feature plus I read back very many pages on this forum. Great info. What color combo do you want?

Ditto on getting the new sport model. It's the best of both worlds. Good luck, great forum. It makes ownership that much sweeter.
Old 07-27-10, 05:57 PM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me join in as im in the market for one as well...either 07-08 ....as for myself i gotta have L and has to be black interior only....I LOVE lexus as i have owned a real reliable SC400 for 7yrs. and dont think id want any thing but a Lexus. Im hoping to get a good deal so ill be patient and look until i get what i want.
Old 07-27-10, 06:10 PM
Joe Cat
Driver

Stop thinking and pull the trigger- You dont need the L - You do need the short wheel base with the power rear seats- Thats totally good enough- Unless you are being chaufered. Otherwise its a waste. TWO - must get the ML, and three must get one by the end of the week. From the time i decided i wanted one it was in my garage in 72 hours.

Plus look at the bright side you always have the S550 to aspire too!

Joe Cat
Old 07-28-10, 02:24 AM
unknown87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments. Looking at a 2010 black on black ls460 normal body. I am trying to get the sport version but it's rare and I would be equally happy with just a normal ls. Good luck on your end

Originally Posted by stever500
I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about getting one. What I did was do tons of searches using the search feature plus I read back very many pages on this forum. Great info. What color combo do you want?

Ditto on getting the new sport model. It's the best of both worlds. Good luck, great forum. It makes ownership that much sweeter.
Old 07-28-10, 05:42 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I have a 2010 Sport and love it. I came from a BMW 550i with the Sport option package and wanted to get back into a Lexus (I had an LS430 and GS430 previously). I knew the Lexus wouldn't be as firm a ride as the 550i but I wanted a firmer ride than the standard LS. The Sport option package is a nice compromise. It doesn't corner like it is on rails like the 550i sport but it is really pretty good in the sport suspension setting (which I never take it out of). The transmission is tuned similar to the ISF, it has paddle shifters and great brakes. A really nice package. I also like the interior which is specific to the Sport option but that's a personal preference - someone else might not like it.

They're hard to find but if you can find one, you should test drive it. Good luck in whatever you decide. With an LS you can't go wrong.
Old 07-28-10, 11:00 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Cat
Stop thinking and pull the trigger- You dont need the L - You do need the short wheel base with the power rear seats- Thats totally good enough- Unless you are being chaufered. Otherwise its a waste. TWO - must get the ML, and three must get one by the end of the week. From the time i decided i wanted one it was in my garage in 72 hours.

Plus look at the bright side you always have the S550 to aspire too!

Joe Cat
Is that the Comfort Plus package?
Old 07-28-10, 11:51 AM
ikeb
Driver

Even though Lexus/Toyota has recently taken a hit with quality control, Lexus is the only way to go. I have the ls460 swb with the comfort package and its a great car. I had never owned a lexus before, but everyone i talked to and every thing i read about the car made me pull the trigger.

I have never owned and never will own a BMW or MB or Porsche or VW or Audi. But i have consistently owned Jags. The lexus is the best car i have ever owned.
Old 07-28-10, 05:38 PM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by ikeb
Even though Lexus/Toyota has recently taken a hit with quality control, Lexus is the only way to go. I have the ls460 swb with the comfort package and its a great car. I had never owned a lexus before, but everyone i talked to and every thing i read about the car made me pull the trigger.

I have never owned and never will own a BMW or MB or Porsche or VW or Audi. But i have consistently owned Jags. The lexus is the best car i have ever owned.
the swb with the comfort package has the adjustable rear seats right?
Old 07-28-10, 05:43 PM
unknown87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Its really reassuring when people say its the best car they've ever had. Almost every car I've gotten i pulled the trigger in seconds without doing any research and i was disappointed a few times. now all i am trying to do is get a solid solid vehicle, and from the looks of things i think the LS might be it.

Originally Posted by ikeb

Old 07-28-10, 06:32 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Go for it. I've owned Mercedes, Audi and some domestics. The LS is the finest mass produced passenger car ever built.
Old 07-28-10, 06:52 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Not that I'd compare my IS350 to your IS-F, but it's probably the closest comparison and I did the same thing, IS350 -> LS460. This is my experience so far:

The LS is a much bigger car. If you don't get the sport suspension (mine is an '07 so no sport), it will feel like driving a boat. For a car this big I don't like working the throttle like I did with my IS, I was on the throttle like crazy but I drive my LS like a limo. On the highway the mileage is surprising, I did a ~500 mile drive back home and did it on one tank of gas, 28.3 MPG (better than my IS ever got) and 545 miles total on the tank.

As you mentioned, it is also a much more comfortable car. The first time I sat in the LS, I was sold on the driver's seat. The seat ventilation seems to work much better for hot climates than in the IS, and I'm also very happy that the navi is a touch-screen like my IS (I hate the new joystick driven ones).

As you mentioned, the experience is totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't push my LS like I pushed the IS, but from the spec sheet I understand the acceleration is very close to the same. The LS is a heavy comfortable cruiser, expect that and drive it as such and you won't be disappointed. Get the sport edition to get a little closer to your IS handling-wise, I can't comment on how close since I've never driven one.

Overall I'm happy with the change, but have no illusions, it's definitely a big change in driving experience.
Old 07-29-10, 04:49 AM
Joe Cat
Driver

dont know what package, thats why i listed the options
Old 07-29-10, 12:39 PM
unknown87
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are probably the closest case i can relate too. Although the IS350 and the ISF are different the IS350 is still a sporty car and can accelerate like hell. I know it will be a big difference but Im going to try. Im definitely taking a beating for turning in my ISF after 18 months but I am pretty excited about the LS and the way it rides. Plus i think i might be one of the youngest LS 460 owners ever at my dealership, i just turned 23 lol

Originally Posted by jbuffett
Not that I'd compare my IS350 to your IS-F, but it's probably the closest comparison and I did the same thing, IS350 -> LS460. This is my experience so far:

The LS is a much bigger car. If you don't get the sport suspension (mine is an '07 so no sport), it will feel like driving a boat. For a car this big I don't like working the throttle like I did with my IS, I was on the throttle like crazy but I drive my LS like a limo. On the highway the mileage is surprising, I did a ~500 mile drive back home and did it on one tank of gas, 28.3 MPG (better than my IS ever got) and 545 miles total on the tank.

As you mentioned, it is also a much more comfortable car. The first time I sat in the LS, I was sold on the driver's seat. The seat ventilation seems to work much better for hot climates than in the IS, and I'm also very happy that the navi is a touch-screen like my IS (I hate the new joystick driven ones).

As you mentioned, the experience is totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't push my LS like I pushed the IS, but from the spec sheet I understand the acceleration is very close to the same. The LS is a heavy comfortable cruiser, expect that and drive it as such and you won't be disappointed. Get the sport edition to get a little closer to your IS handling-wise, I can't comment on how close since I've never driven one.

Overall I'm happy with the change, but have no illusions, it's definitely a big change in driving experience.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an LS any advice/ help appreciated