LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus service has gone to hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 04:00 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Lexus service

Had a major problem with LS460 but it was resolved. Trunk would not open on Sat nite so no service available. It was filled with luggage so could not access though rear seat. Key would not work nor the button. Finally found on this forum that computer locks down the trunk at times and disconnecting battery resets it so the key finally worked.

Please read below - I'm a bit impatient.

Last edited by whatisayut; 08-07-10 at 02:34 AM. Reason: problem resolved
Old 08-05-10, 04:01 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Was Lexus service ever any good? Every experience I've ever had with Lexus service has sucked.
Old 08-05-10, 04:44 AM
mistermet
Rookie

Default Lexus service

I've had 8 years of truly outstanding service from Lexus.
Old 08-05-10, 06:19 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mechanical key would not open the trunk?
Old 08-05-10, 08:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by bob321
The mechanical key would not open the trunk?
Or open the driver's door then get thru the fold down arm rest in the rear seat.
Old 08-05-10, 10:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I blame Karl Malone.
Old 08-05-10, 05:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Oh yeah, I always get great service from every company on a Saturday night.
Old 08-05-10, 06:18 PM
BAD RIDES

I have had 4 lexus and there service the best they set the bar for bmw and benz I love Orlando lexus !!!!!!
Old 08-06-10, 02:53 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

This is my 6th Lexus and I always get great service from my dealer. Lexus of St. Louis...
I don't know why the key wouldn't open the trunk? I wouldn't own another BMW. My 2009 BMW X5 twin turbo diesel was a lemon. If you want terrible service, buy a BMW...
Old 08-06-10, 06:01 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I have had three Lexus vehicles interspersed with Audi, Mercedes and BMW. I can objectively say that my experience with Lexus service has always been outstanding. Admittedly, I have never used their roadside assistance (because my cars have have never broken down) but Nalley Lexus service has been consistently above and beyond.

If you want to experience bad service, get an Audi or BMW. Mercedes was better but not on the level with Lexus. Get one of those vehicles and you'll have pleanty of service experiences to evaluate.
Old 08-06-10, 11:17 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

bob - no, the key would not open the trunk
daryl - the trunk was stuffed with luggage so the little trap door was useless.
well, glad most of you have had great service, wish they would put in the manual that you have to reboot the car like you do a windows pc.

Last edited by whatisayut; 08-07-10 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 02:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Whatisayut, I can appreciate that it is a frustrating experience for you, I would be frustrated as well. However, I wouldn't expect Lexus to staff their assistance line with technicians. Those people are just there to call a flatbed truck for you, or the nearest dealer if its during normal operating hours.

I can tell you that they have not a tiny fraction of the wealth of knowledge in this forum, nor would I expect them to.
Old 08-06-10, 03:08 PM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry I was to hasty to judge - lexus comes thru

My insurance denied the claim, but the local chapter of Lexus agreed to cover the cost of this damage. Kudos to Lexus and I was too hasty in posting this. But they have offered to make things right and they've kept a good customer. That is what I thought I was getting from Lexus.

Last edited by whatisayut; 08-07-10 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 03:13 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds like more of a case of user error. You had the trunk stuffed and one of the things got caught in the trunk latch. You closed the trunk without paying any attention and it jammed, then you tried to blame it all on your car's ECU. I am surprised that Lexus covered anything in this case, shocked really.
Old 08-06-10, 03:27 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Since this seems to be a problem that comes up, not frequently, but repeatedly, I decided to sort of prepare myself for this in case it happens to me.

After looking at this carefully and reading about how others have dealt with it, I think the best approach would be to use the manual key and the following technique.

Insert the manual key into the key slot on the trunk lid. The correct way to turn the key is clockwise. For the key to operate it must be turned about 35 degrees. If you are not able to turn the key about 35 degrees then use one hand to apply clockwise pressure to the key while you use your other hand to apply downward pressure to the trunk lid - use the heel of your hand to push down on the trunk lid on the ridge directly over the license plate. That will probably allow the key to operate. At this point you may have to keep the key fully operated and then use your other hand to grasp the trunk lid, at the lip over the license plate, and pull the lid up.

As for disconnecting the battery, I don't think that is necessary, but it might allow the same thing as operating the key to be done electrically. After you get the trunk open you might have to do the battery disconnect thing to restore the trunk operation that pulls the trunk lid snug. You should see if operation is normal before you go to the trouble of disconnecting the battery.

If this is proven to be useful then our moderators should start a Sticky thread for emergency fixes to include this and a way to disable the audio system when the amp fails.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-06-10 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus service has gone to hell