LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS Interior Dog Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 08:21 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default LS Interior Dog Protection

I have never owned a dog before, but we are seriously thinking about getting a miniature dachshund. One of my big concerns is that I a VERY feisty about maintaining the interior of my cars. Is there some sort of trick/device/cover that you dog lovers do to keep your LS460 pristine? Wife has an RX330 which is also of concern but the dog could ride in the way back there.
Old 08-05-10, 11:27 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Congratulations on your decision to get a dog. The miniature dachshund is a great breed and a dog will enrich your life in many ways.

Dogs should not be permitted to roam free in a car. It presents a danger to both the dog and the people in the car.

Some of the things that can go wrong are: the dog can be injured or likely killed by a deploying air bag; the dog can be injured by sudden stops due to braking or collisions; the dog can get under the driver's feet and interfere with operation of the brake or accelerator; the dog can stick its head through the steering wheel and interfere with directional control; the dog can fall out or jump out of an open window; the dog can escape when the car door is opened and be killed by traffic; etc.

There are lots of nice dog carriers available. Get one and insist that it be used, you will be glad you did. They are not as effective when you don't use a seat belt to restrain them. And remember, never leave your dog unattended in your car.

Old 08-05-10, 01:52 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My solution to my 65 pound Lab is...use my wifes car, seriously. As much as I love my dog she will never see the inside of my car.

We lease her car and it gets turned in every 3 years...
Old 08-05-10, 02:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The best solution is to ban them from the car. They will trash the interior of your car and make it stink.
Old 08-05-10, 05:35 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
One of my big concerns is that I a VERY feisty about maintaining the interior of my cars. Is there some sort of trick/device/cover that you dog lovers do to keep your LS460 pristine? .
Here's a link to a Dura Gear 'seat saver' I posted at the LS430 forum which I've been using for a coupla months now. Works like a charm, extremely well made and should fit the LS460 as well. Keep in mind it's easily removed in a minute or two:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...em-solved.html

Btw, I agree w/ everything JMCraney pointed out in his post above. Pls be especially careful about leaving a dog in the car in any weather above 70 - 75 degrees. It's amazing how fast the interior can jump 25 OR MORE degrees in no time. Had a good friend who lost a dog this way 20 years ago and has never forgiven herself.

Best - Will and the Fur Crew
Attached Thumbnails LS Interior Dog Protection-img_0305-2-.jpg   LS Interior Dog Protection-img_0306-2-.jpg  

Last edited by mewhee; 08-05-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 08:21 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing you don't have young children. I think the only way to guarantee no messes is not let the dog or children in the car. I remember when our daughter was about 8 (in the mid '80's) and we were taking her and a friend to music camp. After our two hour drive, her friend got car sick and vomited all over the back of the car. Not her fault, but things happen. Fortunately, that was the pre-Lexus era and it was in our old Camry. Also, do you allow anyone to eat or drink in your car? Good luck with your dog.
Old 08-06-10, 06:51 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by mewhee
Here's a link to a Dura Gear 'seat saver' I posted at the LS430 forum which I've been using for a coupla months now. Works like a charm, extremely well made and should fit the LS460 as well. Keep in mind it's easily removed in a minute or two:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...em-solved.html

Btw, I agree w/ everything JMCraney pointed out in his post above. Pls be especially careful about leaving a dog in the car in any weather above 70 - 75 degrees. It's amazing how fast the interior can jump 25 OR MORE degrees in no time. Had a good friend who lost a dog this way 20 years ago and has never forgiven herself.

Best - Will and the Fur Crew
MeWhee, this looks like what I was thinking about. Thank you very much. I am still not sure I'm getting the dog, but this stuff is good to know if I do.
Old 08-06-10, 11:34 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Congratulations on your decision to get a dog. The miniature dachshund is a great breed and a dog will enrich your life in many ways.

Dogs should not be permitted to roam free in a car. It presents a danger to both the dog and the people in the car.

Some of the things that can go wrong are: the dog can be injured or likely killed by a deploying air bag; the dog can be injured by sudden stops due to braking or collisions; the dog can get under the driver's feet and interfere with operation of the brake or accelerator; the dog can stick its head through the steering wheel and interfere with directional control; the dog can fall out or jump out of an open window; the dog can escape when the car door is opened and be killed by traffic; etc.

There are lots of nice dog carriers available. Get one and insist that it be used, you will be glad you did. They are not as effective when you don't use a seat belt to restrain them. And remember, never leave your dog unattended in your car.

+5... great points and the same ones I make to friends who have to have their dogs with them in the car. I think the dangers far outweigh the benefit to having the animal with you in the car unless you're travelling to a hotel / 2nd residence.