LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise TSB's + Sunroof Rattle = 4+ days in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 02:48 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Wind Noise TSB's + Sunroof Rattle = 4+ days in the shop

Just got my CPO's '07 LS460 about 6 weeks ago, I'm still in the "getting all the new used car problems fixed" phase. ML amp was blown on day 1, took a week to get the navi update. Transmission bump off the line, TSB'd.

Finally got them to take the wind noise complaints seriously. Also, the sunroof rattles in the afternoons when I'm venting heat. Service advisor says that they'll do all the wind noise TSB's, orders about half the parts up front. On day 1 of being in the shop, they realize that they need more wind noise parts and some sunroof parts. On day 2 of being in the shop, adviser says that they need cables for the sunroof.

On day 3 of being in the shop (today), adviser calls and says that they can't take the sunroof out of the car from the top, and apparently they can't remove the head liner or take it out of the bottom either. It has to come out either the front or the back...which means a new windshield. More parts, plus they have to bring a guy in who can do the actual windshield work. It'll be nice to have a new factory windshield (previous owner highway'd it a lot), and yeah it's not costing me anything, but this is getting ridiculous.

Anybody else have any experience with the sunroof rattle, do they really have to take one of the main windows out to get it out of the car?

Great car, been very happy overall, but I can't imagine that it takes 4 days to get all of this stuff done except for the fact that every time they hit a snag they have to order parts.

p.s. loaner is an HS250, I've tried them all (IS250, ES350, RX350), not a fan of this one, of those I probably like the RX the best and even then it's a distant second place to my LS
Old 08-13-10, 04:00 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are not in Houston area and using the services of the dealer located along the highway going towards Dallas. If so, your experience is not out of line. It took them two days to do a simple front seat cover TSIB and then another two days to correct their mistakes. PM if have any question.
Old 08-13-10, 04:16 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It almost sounds like they are in desperate need of service work to keep the techs busy, so they are trying to run up the tab under warranty as high as it will go.
Old 08-13-10, 07:37 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
I hope you are not in Houston area and using the services of the dealer located along the highway going towards Dallas.
I'm in the north D/FW metro. Their service department is usually pretty good, the problem here appears to be mostly that they keep finding new parts to order to get the work done, I don't know if that's an inexperienced tech or if they're just trying to do the bare minimum and keep getting caught...
Old 08-13-10, 08:16 PM
HSVRX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my 07 LS460 back on the wind noise fix, they replaced both driver and passenger side windows with double paned window and that completely masked the wind noise. It is very quiet now. Took them one day to order the parts.
Old 08-15-10, 10:56 AM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
It almost sounds like they are in desperate need of service work to keep the techs busy, so they are trying to run up the tab under warranty as high as it will go.
You don't run up a warranty tab it pays by book time no matter how long they have the car.

Only 4 days try owning a German car. Weeks!
Old 08-16-10, 03:34 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Day 5, saw the car today when I made a surprise visit. Headliner's out, front windshield is off, sunroof is replaced. Adviser left me with the tech for 4-5 minutes, chatted about the procedure. Apparently the book says 4 hours of work time and that specifically includes the windshield swap, I imagine they've spent a bit more than that on it.
Old 08-16-10, 04:36 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BRADSGS4
You don't run up a warranty tab it pays by book time no matter how long they have the car.

Only 4 days try owning a German car. Weeks!
I never said they were running up an hourly tab. They are finding more and more things to do under book time and charging it off to Lexus. Even if they can't complete the work in the time allowed, its still better to have the techs working vs sitting and looking at the wall.
Old 08-18-10, 04:01 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

On day 7, I got the car back. The summary of work+parts is 5 pages. I don't see anything unexpected, but the guy who stapled the form said "wow, got a lot of stuff done huh".

Sunroof rattle is gone, gonna have to do a high speed run to check the wind noise. Also they detailed it for free, I guess since they had it for so long...

Edit: the main delay was for the windshield removal/install, they had a 3rd party come in to do it, so scheduling that guy plus getting the windshield itself pushed the whole process another 4 days or so.

Last edited by jbuffett; 08-18-10 at 04:06 PM.