LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

any recommendation on what to use to wax, wash your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 09:49 AM
wle2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face any recommendation on what to use to wax, wash your car

for my new 2010, is it necessary to wax your car during the first year, with the clear coat still new? any recommendation on what kind of wax is best use for Lexus paint?
I plan to wash/wax the car myself, and avoid the comercial car wash places, but don't have much experience with Lexus car. Any suggestion?
Old 09-11-10, 12:09 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

There are so many quality waxes out there, find one with a Carnuba that will give you protection as well as a lusty clean look. I have my detailer use Formula 1 that he can use on the entire exterior to include all the chrome and I LOVE IT!
Old 09-11-10, 12:56 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

depending on where in CA you live, I would leave the new paint and clear coat alone for the first year, but its important to keep it clean, I wash mine by hand every weekend, Im in So Cal, so weather is usually mild here other than about 6 weeks of some heat in the summer. Mine is an 07 with over 65k miles and more often than not people ask me if its a new 2010, its a great finish they put on these cars. I would guess that the previous owner didnt take care of it like I do now outside of standard maintenance but looking at the interior and the paint you would be hard pressed to tell its now new.

Also its black on black.. so very challenging to keep clean, it requires a weekly hand wash.
Old 09-11-10, 01:14 PM
wle2000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your suggestions. I live up in the so-called high desert near Barstow. It's hot and sunny most days of the year. But I hardly use the car at all. Garaged most of the time. My color is smoky granite. I am sure it takes lot of work to keep your black one like new cmasten.
Old 09-11-10, 01:56 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your 2010 LS has so called "self healing paint". Would not know if care for that paint is the same as regular paint with clear coat. I use a product line called Zaino, it's a polymer sealant. Great protection.
Old 09-11-10, 05:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

JSTALEX is right, there are many quality products out there and you won't go wrong with any of them. I am partial to Zaino. Its among the best and it is easy to use.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 09-11-10, 06:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wle2000
for my new 2010, is it necessary to wax your car during the first year, with the clear coat still new? any recommendation on what kind of wax is best use for Lexus paint?
I plan to wash/wax the car myself, and avoid the comercial car wash places, but don't have much experience with Lexus car. Any suggestion?
It sounds like you should find a local pro detailer. If you have the money to buy a new 2010, then you have the money to keep it cleaned and protected at a professional level. Since you know nothing about to correctly wash (put that sponge back in the sink!!) and/or detail a car, a new $80k car is not something to learn on. You could easily end up doing more damage to the car then helping it, especially if you got a black one.
Anyone who tells you that you cannot or should not wax/seal/polish a new car doesn't have a clue of what they are talking about. You can wax any modern new car at the end of the production line as it leaves the factory. Going a full year without putting any protection on the paint is not a good idea.
Old 09-11-10, 07:46 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I have a Honda Pilot that gets washed every weekend and ONLY waxed once a year. Its now 5 years old and looks absolutely brand new. I let the clear coat that it came with stay without wax for the first year. I have two other vehicles that I did this exact same thing with also one is a 10 year old E Class Benz that still has perfect paint (white)

I would agree with a pro to take care of this for you if you dont have experience doing it, It works for me just fine, with the superb weather we have here in So Cal.

If I lived somewhere else I would obviously do this differently.

I also garage my cars overnight they never sit out and I drive about 6k miles a year so pretty low mileage compared to others.
Old 09-12-10, 06:05 AM
OPSBD
Rookie

Waiting a year before waxing is not a good idea. I waxed my 2010 LS460L the day I drove it home.

How often I wax my car depends on how many times it gets dirty and washed. Every time you wash your car it removes some of the protective film. If you use Joy dish washing liquid like my neighbor who has no clue then it should be waxed after every wash . I use a car soap like Meguiars GOLD which removes less of the wax when you wash.

The easiest way to determine when it's time to wax is by spraying down the car with water, if the water beads then your good to go, if not it's time for a wax job!
Old 09-12-10, 08:32 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Safe to say on a new finish then keeping it clean and applying a good carnuba is probably good advice every 6 months in this situation.

My approach may be unique in that I believe in not adding anything to a new clear coat in the first year on a new finish, especially one as good as an LS. The weather, low miles and garaging it also is key to my situation but it sounds similar to wle2000s too.

I also dont use off the shelf products, when i do detail a car annually its done with Meguiars professional products, that I purchase directly from them, I clay bar it, polish it, seal it and then apply a carnuba several times depending on the finish and its color, a 4-6 hour job. I only use a professional buffer, if it appears to need more carnuba over the year then I may apply more, but its usually in very good shape and beads up well even with all the washes. Again this is for new finishes.

The Black LS i have now was purchased CPO with 60k miles on it, it is wiped down daily and washed each weekend, I wont wax this vehicle once a year, It took me several weeks to get the paint where I want it and now its polishes and carnubas monthly but then I didnt purchase this vehicle new, so it needs a lot of care, but I am getting closer after 8 months.
Old 09-12-10, 08:37 AM
wle2000
Driver School Candidate

Mcguiars offer a wide variety waxes. Does any one has a favorite wax that works great for new car?
Also, I wonder if the liquid or paste form will be easier to use.

Thank you for all your suggestions. It is good to see different opinions about car care.
Old 09-12-10, 12:42 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wle2000
Mcguiars offer a wide variety waxes. Does any one has a favorite wax that works great for new car?

Thank you for all your suggestions. It is good to see different opinions about car care.
If you want to use Meguiar's products.

I think the liquid goes on and off much easier than paste.

If you want to use carnuba, use their #26 carnuba wax.

I've also had good luck with their NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

I use their Gold Class wash, or NXT Generation wash. Don't use dish soap to wash your car, it will strip all of your wax off. Always use a good car wash soap...
Old 09-12-10, 07:33 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile ...... what to use to wax & wash........

[QUOTE=wle2000;5782804]Mcguiars offer a wide variety waxes. Does any one has a favorite wax that works great for new car?

I have used Meguiar's products for several years now on my LS430/LS460s and am very pleased with their products. I especially like their "Ultimate Quick Detailer" and "Ultimate Quick Wax" both are spray on and wipe off and very easy to use. I have also used the "Quick Clay" product to remove tree sap, etc and it works great. They do have a very good web site and will recommend for your particular vehicle. As for washing, I agree that you should NOT use dish soap, use only a product designed for automobile paint use. I also do not use a mit, sponge, rag when washing the car. I have a Horsehair and Nylon brush about 12 inches by 3 inches with long soft bristles. The brush does not scratch the paint and allows the suds and water to carry off the contaminants without scratches or damage to the paint. Good luck and enjoy the new vehicle.

Last edited by RGSW; 09-13-10 at 05:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
obgjedi (03-02-17)
Old 09-24-10, 09:39 AM
wle2000
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your recs.