LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire pressure warning came on

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10 | 10:13 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Default Tire pressure warning came on

Hey everyone...on my way home today the tire pressure warning came on for the 5th wheel...which is my spare...the spare has never been used...what the hell?
Old 09-12-10 | 10:29 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

I constantly keep the spare tire inflated at 40, which requires my attention every 4 months or so. The tire's pressure goes down by about 1 psi a week.

When any of the 5 tires goes below a certain pressure reading (I guess it's 27 or 26 I forgot what the number is), you should expect a warning message to come on. So you just need to inflate your spare tire or whatever tire lost its pressure.
Old 09-13-10 | 05:20 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Tire pressure drops as it gets colder. I believe default threshold is 26 PSI. If it drops below, warning will come on and stay on until you put more air in it.
Are you sure it's your spare?
Old 09-13-10 | 05:41 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

I have been dealing with this problem for some time now. Here is what I have learned. My tires were going down from 1 - 2 psi every week or so. I went to Discount Tire and told them to check for nails in the the tires. The man at DT laughed and told me it was the chrome finish on the wheels that was the problem. He said that the chrome finish was bad on the wheels. If the rims were not properly chromed, the rims will not seal completely. He also said that I would need to buy a new set of wheels and don't buy chrome. I talked to several people about this. I was told by a company( US wheel exchange) on ebay that permachrome PVD was the way to go as far as chroming the rims. The company said this was a new process and was far better than the usual chroming process. Has anyone else had these problems with their chrome rims or heard of the PVD permachroming process.

Thanks for all your help

jarm
Old 09-13-10 | 07:56 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jarm
I have been dealing with this problem for some time now. Here is what I have learned. My tires were going down from 1 - 2 psi every week or so. I went to Discount Tire and told them to check for nails in the the tires. The man at DT laughed and told me it was the chrome finish on the wheels that was the problem. He said that the chrome finish was bad on the wheels. If the rims were not properly chromed, the rims will not seal completely. He also said that I would need to buy a new set of wheels and don't buy chrome. I talked to several people about this. I was told by a company( US wheel exchange) on ebay that permachrome PVD was the way to go as far as chroming the rims. The company said this was a new process and was far better than the usual chroming process. Has anyone else had these problems with their chrome rims or heard of the PVD permachroming process.

Thanks for all your help

jarm
Jarm, I have the triple chrome plated Wheels on my LS 460. On my GX 460, I have the PVD wheels from US Wheel Exchange. Marcus told me they are the only way to go when using my SUV in the winter here in the Midwest. They won't pit, peel, or rust. I check my tire pressure every couple of weeks. Marcus is the general manager at US Wheel. I did everything over the phone with Marcus, I didn't go through Ebay. My wheels look great on my GX.
Old 09-13-10 | 01:43 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JFNash
I constantly keep the spare tire inflated at 40, which requires my attention every 4 months or so. The tire's pressure goes down by about 1 psi a week.

When any of the 5 tires goes below a certain pressure reading (I guess it's 27 or 26 I forgot what the number is), you should expect a warning message to come on. So you just need to inflate your spare tire or whatever tire lost its pressure.
Thanks ...its at 26...so i have to unscrew the tire from the trunk and pump some air in it and then the warning should go?
Old 09-13-10 | 02:21 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Manny735
Thanks ...its at 26...so i have to unscrew the tire from the trunk and pump some air in it and then the warning should go?
You don't have to move the tire or unscrew anything. Just put in some air while it's mounted in its place.
Old 09-13-10 | 02:52 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JFNash
You don't have to move the tire or unscrew anything. Just put in some air while it's mounted in its place.
Hey man,

Just went to go take a look at it...the 5th tire is blinking at 15 PSI...walked around the car and the right front passenger has lost all its air..WTF>?

The spare is hard as a rock......just called Roadside...is it possible the 5th tire blinking is for the front right?

Roadside is on route
Old 09-13-10 | 09:29 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

So Roadside came and changed the front right tire.

TPMS warning is still flashing..do i need to go to the dealership and get it reset?
Old 09-13-10 | 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

the numbers ordering has NOTHING to do with which tire is which. it doesn't tell the location. one tire rotation and everything can change. you will have to go figure out which tire is which.

what do you mean they changed the front right tire? you mean they swap that wheel out and put on the spare? if so, all you need to do is to patch or get new tire for the one that you have flat. once it has good pressure the light will go out. i have changed a lot of tires and never have to reset any lights
Old 09-14-10 | 06:50 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
the numbers ordering has NOTHING to do with which tire is which. it doesn't tell the location. one tire rotation and everything can change. you will have to go figure out which tire is which.

what do you mean they changed the front right tire? you mean they swap that wheel out and put on the spare? if so, all you need to do is to patch or get new tire for the one that you have flat. once it has good pressure the light will go out. i have changed a lot of tires and never have to reset any lights

Yes swapped for the spare....I will get a patch and see if it goes off..thanks Henry
Old 09-14-10 | 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yeah, patch it up and put back to 35psi (or higher), that should take care of it