LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Need new battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 04:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

I've had good luck with an AC Delco Professional. 7 yr warranty. Got it on sale for 100 bucks.
Old 02-20-17, 08:48 AM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Duralast Gold is the way to go. It is the perfect fit.
Old 02-20-17, 09:27 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Costco now sells Interstate batteries for the LS460. If you have Cold Weather Pkg, there is supposedly no fit - but I installed the std. version in each car (both have cold weather pkg) and so far, so good. They have a 3 year, no-prorate warranty, which is pretty awesome. I've never had a problem with an Interstate battery.
Old 02-20-17, 02:11 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

I think this is a good place to remind everyone that completely discharging your battery usually damages it and causes it to fail prematurely. Just draining it one time by having the lights stay on or leaving the ignition on without the engine running frequently causes permanent damage. The battery manufacturer's warranty applies even when the battery has been damaged because of misuse. If you run your battery down, be sure to have it tested as it can often be replaced at little or no cost.

Last edited by jmcraney; 02-21-17 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 04:56 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Its amazing just how fast the LS can drain your battery down. Just a matter of minutes and it pops up with low battery on dash display. I put in a Red Top a year ago. Really like this brand.
Old 02-21-17, 05:14 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think you need to use a sealed battery

The factory battery is a non-venting AGM maintenance free. Not knowing, I replaced the battery in my 2007 with a high model one from Interstate, but it was a traditional wet off-gassing one. A few years later, I can only get intermittent starts from the battery, even though the battery checks out to be alright. Eventually, I have to have it towed to the dealer, and even though I probably could have repaired it had I known the problem, the mounted positive battery cable/harness had corroded and it was $550 to get it replaced. Immediately after that, I put in a Optima yellow, and I even moved that battery to my current 2012.

Another twist: I bought my 2012 as a CPO and one of the line items was NEW BATTERY! I looked at it, and it was a budget traditional style, but with a big LEXUS sticker on it covering the brand. I put that into the 2007 I sold, and moved my Optima yellow in the current car.

So far the Optima yellow has been outstanding, and the fact it weighs 20% less doesn't hurt, either.

I didn't know at the time, but Odyssey batteries are supposed to be the finest, albeit, at double the price of Optima. There is a loophole, however. Die Hard Platinum AGMs are actually made by Odyssey, but with a shorter warranty because they, too, are half the cost.

Last edited by RocketSlug; 02-21-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 05:59 AM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketSlug
The factory battery is a non-venting AGM.
It is my understanding that all LS460s come with flooded-cell starting batteries. And, the car's charging system is designed for flooded-cell batteries. AGM batteries have a different charging standard.

What is the source of your information as to the car's factory batteries being the AGM type?
Old 02-21-17, 07:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It is my understanding that all LS460s come with flooded-cell starting batteries. And, the car's charging system is designed for flooded-cell batteries. AGM batteries have a different charging standard.

What is the source of your information as to the car's factory batteries being the AGM type?
I agree. My factory battery was a Panasonic flooded cell, not an AGM.
Old 02-21-17, 03:43 PM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for keeping me honest. That was my error, which I corrected in my above post. The oem Panasonics are maintenance free, and seem to be very high quality, even if not very high on the listed CCA nor Amp hour (per Panasonic's website.)

My 1998 GS4 and 2001 GS43 were purchased new, and the 1998 battery was never replaced, and the 2001's battery was replaced over 5 years later.

At any rate, the Interstate caused corrosion, and my 2012 CPO came with a similar DIY battery (with large LEXUS sticker on it), so I swapped out my 3+ year old Optima Yellow Top which I'm running right now.

Optima did have some inconsistent results in the past, but I think mine was made well after that. If this dies, I'm going right to Odyssey http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx.

Last edited by RocketSlug; 02-21-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 04:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you for keeping me honest. That was my error, which I corrected in my above post.
Unacceptable! We tolerate no such errors!

I agree that, although the Panasonic does not advertise specs that would wow one into buying it, they seem to have performed very well in our tech-laden LS's. Mine lasted 6 years before I replaced it with the AC Delco Pro. In fact, I had to replace the AC Delco last week due to a couple of faulty cells, attributed to a dead battery one morning, (cause unknown), that would no longer accept a proper charge. No expense though, as the battery come with a very stout warranty which was honored by the local auto parts house.
Old 10-18-17, 07:53 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I just replaced my battery. Was on the original 2011 Panasonic battery, not bad! Upon the recommendations here I used the Autozone Duralast Gold 24 size battery. Install was fine and the car fired right up, but it is quite a bit smaller than the OEM battery I removed. Same height, but about two inches narrower.

I originally took it to my local Toyota dealer as I have known one of the service advisors there for years. She quoted me $129 installed and then a 15% discount off that for the "Toyota" battery with a 3 year warranty (I believe). She calls me to tell me the warranty doesn't apply because it isn't going into a Toyota. How crazy is that? The damn battery in my car says Lexus/Toyota on it. She offered to install a Carquest battery with a 2 year warranty for $214. Said no thanks, picked up my car and went to Autozone.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (10-19-17)
Old 11-05-17, 08:31 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Does anyone know if the 2013 LS 460 have the same battery as the older LS 460? I took some measurements off the OEM battery:

Panasonic
W x H x D
11 3/4" x 7 3/4" x 6 5/8"

Duralast Gold 24-DLG
W x H x D
10 1/4" x 8 7/8" x 6 13/16"

Thank you.
Old 11-05-17, 11:58 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Does anyone know if the 2013 LS 460 have the same battery as the older LS 460? I took some measurements off the OEM battery:

Panasonic
W x H x D
11 3/4" x 7 3/4" x 6 5/8"

Duralast Gold 24-DLG
W x H x D
10 1/4" x 8 7/8" x 6 13/16"

Thank you.
I took advantage of Advance Auto Parts $40 off $100 and bought a AutoCraft Gold 24-6. And it fits nicely.
Old 07-22-21, 10:05 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by roundback
i just want to make sure if i will end up needing the radio code
I have had the battery disconnected now three times on my recently-acquired 2007 LS460. Each time the SiriusXM tuner box ID number was NOT lost; SiriusXM came right back up and operated/connected properly.

However my SiriusXM preset stations were lost each time. In what seems a bit odd, the AM/FM preset stations were NOT lost.
Old 07-22-21, 10:56 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

BATTERY GROUP SIZE/DIMENSIONS

The 2007 Lexus LS460 Owner's Manual does NOT specify any group size or physical dimensions. Posters seem to rave about the OEM Panasonic battery, but I do not see anyone reporting that it can actually be obtained as a replacement, not even at the dealership.

Moderator 'jmcraney' states that Group Size 24 is the correct replacement, except in the case of vehicles optioned with the 'Cold Weather' package, in which case Group Size 27 replaces. And, indeed, the Costco Interstate Batteries website makes this distinction; Group Size 27 for the Cold Weather package, Group Size 24 otherwise. The official depth & height of the two group types are the same, but Group Size 27 is 1 13/16" (or 4.60375cm) wider than Group Size 24.

In my recently-acquired 2007 LS460, I inherited an AutoZone Duralast Red Group Size 24 that is mounted without issue. (Given this vehicle was originally off a Las Vegas dealership lot, not surprisingly, it does not have a Cold Weather package.)

ClubLexus member 'kuhan' found the dimensions of his own OEM Panasonic battery to be generally close to that of Group Size 27. His OEM dimensions do not directly correspond to any standard BCI (Battery Council International) Group Size.

Further, moderator 'jmcraney' found the dimensions of his own OEM battery to be exactly that of Group Size 34, equal in width & depth to Group Size 24, but 1" (or 2.5cm) shorter.

Most retailers specify Group Size 24 as the primary replacement option, but some also specify Group Size 27 and/or Group Size 34 as additional valid replacement options.

Official Group Size 24: 10 1/4"w x 6 13/16"d x 8 7/8"h (or, in cm, 26w x 17.3d x 22.5h)

Official Group Size 27: 12 1/16"w x 6 13/16"d x 8 7/8"h (or, in cm, 30.6w x 17.3d x 22.5h)

Official Group Size 34: 10 1/4"w x 6 13/16"d x 7 7/8"h (or, in cm, 26w x 17.3d x 20h)

Kuhan OEM: 11 3/4"w x 6 5/8"d x 7 3/4"h (or, in cm, 29.85w x 16.83d x 19.69h)

Note that not all retail batteries match their official Group Size dimensions exactly, so some measuring and/or comparison of dimensions is still required.

The correct positive terminal orientation for the vehicle – and as found in the above three Group Sizes – is top, back, right-hand-side. So avoid variants such as Group Size 24F where the positions of the positive & negative terminals have been reversed. Keep in mind that if a retailer is describing the positive terminal orientation as 'front, left' the battery can be rotated 180° to make that work.

A sampling of current product & pricing across retailers reveals virtually identical pricing under equivalent specifications, excluding lower costs at Walmart & Costco (differences in bold & underline):

O'Reilly SuperStart Extreme Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

AutoZone Duralast Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement 700 CCA, $170.

PepBoys Champion Premium, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $130.

Costco Interstate, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $100.

O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27(#27PRMJ): 24-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

AutoZone Duralast Gold, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $170.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Silver, Group Size 27: 24-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

PepBoys Champion Basic, Group Size 27: 30-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $120.

Costco Interstate, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $93.

O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

AutoZone Duralast Red, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Silver, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

PepBoys Champion Basic, Group Size 24: 30-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

Walmart EverStart Plus/Red, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $100.

As you can see from above, Group Size 27 generally provides significantly more CCA for the same price & warranty as a Group Size 24 … if the specific battery will indeed fit.

[ UPDATE: When I replaced my own battery (in my 2007 Lexus LS460, a base model with very few options) I found the battery tray and battery compartment DID readily accept a Group Size 27 (specifically a O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27, Model PRMJ). Given both the Group Size 27 & Group Size 24 SuperStart Premiums were the same price, I have a 810 CCA battery (versus a 600 CCA battery) at no additional cost. ]

BATTERY BRANDS, MAKERS & PERFORMANCE

In 2019, Project Farm posted a YouTube video comparatively testing-out six different major brands of car batteries: https://bit.ly/36ZAi7y . My read of it is that, among the four non-AGM batteries, the Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold Group Size 27 & O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27, tested out as best.

I see a lot of positive chatter on these boards about Interstate. And I agree that Interstate USED to be a top-tier, five-star battery brand. I bought them for many trouble-free years. However, over the last five years or so, several mechanics have warned me off current Interstate product. And here's why.

The classic Johnson Control batteries were good product at fair price. But eventually their corporate strategy took a turn. During the 2010s, Johnson Controls accumulated the manufacture and/or licensing of almost every well-known American car battery name brand. That includes snagging (former) high-quality brands such as Interstate & Optima, as well as Delphi, DieHard & AutoCraft (both AdvanceAuto), ACDelco, Duralast (AutoZone), Champion (PepBoys), EverStart (Walmart) & Motorcraft. Meanwhile they steadily migrated all their production to Mexico to be built on-the-cheap. Then, in late-2018, Johnson Controls, with low manufacturing costs vs. high-quality/name-brand revenue streams on-the-books, cashed-out its Battery Division entirely, selling it all off to an "asset management company," dba as 'Clarios,' for $13 billion. Being an 'asset management company' instead of being a 'car battery company,' Clarios bean-counters will likely be looking to 'improve the financials' so they can flip the company down-the-road for a profit. And that will likely lead to even more cheapening of product.

This is why you see a once-premier brand such as Interstate, that used to sell as a premium product off corner-cap metal racks at so many retail auto repair shops, now being sold primarily at deep-discounter Costco.

Sure all those places will likely honor the warranty on the Clarios batteries they sell. (For Costco Interstate, btw, the battery is marked as such and you must return to Costco, not Interstate, to obtain warranty service.) But given the scenario above, the chances they will malfunction or fail within-warranty is surely much higher (than it used to be).

On the flip side, the O'Reilly SuperStart family of batteries is one of the few brands NOT affiliated with (the former) Johnson Controls. Rather it is a product of East Penn Manufacturing. East Penn is not run by accountants and financial-types looking to turn a quick buck. It's a 75-year-old, privately-held, family-owned battery builder running a 2 million square-foot factory in Berks County, Pennsylvania … so the owners have their own skin deep in the game. East Penn also builds-out auto batteries for NAPA and markets its own auto battery brand, Deka. Historically, East Penn also built Duracell-branded batteries for Sam's Club & Batteries+Bulbs… but I am not 100% sure if that is still true today.

So my recommendation is: get a SuperStart and keep a copy of your receipt in the glove box. Then make a quick pit-stop at your local O'Reilly unit 2 or 3 times a year and have them test it out. If they find it failing, you'll get a new one installed free & fast on-the-spot under warranty. Shortly after the warranty expires, just purchase a new one and have them pop it in. Rinse & repeat as needed.

Last edited by DrQuality; 01-07-22 at 09:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrQuality:
Asher8190 (12-11-22), Sherl (05-12-23)

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 Need new battery