LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Need new battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 10:00 AM
mickb
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default battery charging

Originally Posted by cmasten
I would not recommend changing the battery while the car is running.

You will lose the settings, and may need the code but the Nav and HomeLink should stay

Covers have to be removed to get at it, but its a 5 min swap if you know how, if you dont, maybe 10

I would call your local AutoZone and ask them if they will swap our your battery if you buy it from them. I know they test them and handle other modest swaps
A trickle charger connected to an installed battery will never cause any damage. That is what they're designed for.
Old 09-06-21, 10:44 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

One should never use the word never, because you never know (lol)
Old 09-06-21, 04:34 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I think I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but you can't always count on being able to apply a trickle charger. One of my three disconnects was, in part, to remove the steering wheel and air bag. You have to disconnect for about 15-20 minutes to remove any residual charge/current to ensure the air bag will not deploy. So you couldn't use a trickle charger in that case. Also, if you discover the battery in a cold stone dead condition and it needs replacing, well it's too late to apply a trickle charger at that point. Hence keeping a working list of items that will be lost is still handy to have around.
Old 05-12-23, 09:44 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DrQuality
BATTERY GROUP SIZE/DIMENSIONS

The 2007 Lexus LS460 Owner's Manual does NOT specify any group size or physical dimensions. Posters seem to rave about the OEM Panasonic battery, but I do not see anyone reporting that it can actually be obtained as a replacement, not even at the dealership.

Moderator 'jmcraney' states that Group Size 24 is the correct replacement, except in the case of vehicles optioned with the 'Cold Weather' package, in which case Group Size 27 replaces. And, indeed, the Costco Interstate Batteries website makes this distinction; Group Size 27 for the Cold Weather package, Group Size 24 otherwise. The official depth & height of the two group types are the same, but Group Size 27 is 1 13/16" (or 4.60375cm) wider than Group Size 24.

In my recently-acquired 2007 LS460, I inherited an AutoZone Duralast Red Group Size 24 that is mounted without issue. (Given this vehicle was originally off a Las Vegas dealership lot, not surprisingly, it does not have a Cold Weather package.)

ClubLexus member 'kuhan' found the dimensions of his own OEM Panasonic battery to be generally close to that of Group Size 27. His OEM dimensions do not directly correspond to any standard BCI (Battery Council International) Group Size.

Further, moderator 'jmcraney' found the dimensions of his own OEM battery to be exactly that of Group Size 34, equal in width & depth to Group Size 24, but 1" (or 2.5cm) shorter.

Most retailers specify Group Size 24 as the primary replacement option, but some also specify Group Size 27 and/or Group Size 34 as additional valid replacement options.

Official Group Size 24: 10 1/4"w x 6 13/16"d x 8 7/8"h (or, in cm, 26w x 17.3d x 22.5h)

Official Group Size 27: 12 1/16"w x 6 13/16"d x 8 7/8"h (or, in cm, 30.6w x 17.3d x 22.5h)

Official Group Size 34: 10 1/4"w x 6 13/16"d x 7 7/8"h (or, in cm, 26w x 17.3d x 20h)

Kuhan OEM: 11 3/4"w x 6 5/8"d x 7 3/4"h (or, in cm, 29.85w x 16.83d x 19.69h)

Note that not all retail batteries match their official Group Size dimensions exactly, so some measuring and/or comparison of dimensions is still required.

The correct positive terminal orientation for the vehicle – and as found in the above three Group Sizes – is top, back, right-hand-side. So avoid variants such as Group Size 24F where the positions of the positive & negative terminals have been reversed. Keep in mind that if a retailer is describing the positive terminal orientation as 'front, left' the battery can be rotated 180° to make that work.

A sampling of current product & pricing across retailers reveals virtually identical pricing under equivalent specifications, excluding lower costs at Walmart & Costco (differences in bold & underline):

O'Reilly SuperStart Extreme Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

AutoZone Duralast Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement 700 CCA, $170.

PepBoys Champion Premium, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $170.

Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $130.

Costco Interstate, Group Size 24: 36-month replacement, 700 CCA, $100.

O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27(#27PRMJ): 24-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

AutoZone Duralast Gold, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $170.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Silver, Group Size 27: 24-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

PepBoys Champion Basic, Group Size 27: 30-month replacement, 810 CCA, $150.

Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $120.

Costco Interstate, Group Size 27: 36-month replacement, 810 CCA, $93.

O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

AutoZone Duralast Red, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

AdvanceAuto DieHard Silver, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

PepBoys Champion Basic, Group Size 24: 30-month replacement, 600 CCA, $150.

Walmart EverStart Plus/Red, Group Size 24: 24-month replacement, 600 CCA, $100.

As you can see from above, Group Size 27 generally provides significantly more CCA for the same price & warranty as a Group Size 24 … if the specific battery will indeed fit.

[ UPDATE: When I replaced my own battery (in my 2007 Lexus LS460, a base model with very few options) I found the battery tray and battery compartment DID readily accept a Group Size 27 (specifically a O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27, Model PRMJ). Given both the Group Size 27 & Group Size 24 SuperStart Premiums were the same price, I have a 810 CCA battery (versus a 600 CCA battery) at no additional cost. ]

BATTERY BRANDS, MAKERS & PERFORMANCE

In 2019, Project Farm posted a YouTube video comparatively testing-out six different major brands of car batteries: https://bit.ly/36ZAi7y . My read of it is that, among the four non-AGM batteries, the Walmart EverStart Maxx/Gold Group Size 27 & O'Reilly SuperStart Premium Group Size 27, tested out as best.

I see a lot of positive chatter on these boards about Interstate. And I agree that Interstate USED to be a top-tier, five-star battery brand. I bought them for many trouble-free years. However, over the last five years or so, several mechanics have warned me off current Interstate product. And here's why.

The classic Johnson Control batteries were good product at fair price. But eventually their corporate strategy took a turn. During the 2010s, Johnson Controls accumulated the manufacture and/or licensing of almost every well-known American car battery name brand. That includes snagging (former) high-quality brands such as Interstate & Optima, as well as Delphi, DieHard & AutoCraft (both AdvanceAuto), ACDelco, Duralast (AutoZone), Champion (PepBoys), EverStart (Walmart) & Motorcraft. Meanwhile they steadily migrated all their production to Mexico to be built on-the-cheap. Then, in late-2018, Johnson Controls, with low manufacturing costs vs. high-quality/name-brand revenue streams on-the-books, cashed-out its Battery Division entirely, selling it all off to an "asset management company," dba as 'Clarios,' for $13 billion. Being an 'asset management company' instead of being a 'car battery company,' Clarios bean-counters will likely be looking to 'improve the financials' so they can flip the company down-the-road for a profit. And that will likely lead to even more cheapening of product.

This is why you see a once-premier brand such as Interstate, that used to sell as a premium product off corner-cap metal racks at so many retail auto repair shops, now being sold primarily at deep-discounter Costco.

Sure all those places will likely honor the warranty on the Clarios batteries they sell. (For Costco Interstate, btw, the battery is marked as such and you must return to Costco, not Interstate, to obtain warranty service.) But given the scenario above, the chances they will malfunction or fail within-warranty is surely much higher (than it used to be).

On the flip side, the O'Reilly SuperStart family of batteries is one of the few brands NOT affiliated with (the former) Johnson Controls. Rather it is a product of East Penn Manufacturing. East Penn is not run by accountants and financial-types looking to turn a quick buck. It's a 75-year-old, privately-held, family-owned battery builder running a 2 million square-foot factory in Berks County, Pennsylvania … so the owners have their own skin deep in the game. East Penn also builds-out auto batteries for NAPA and markets its own auto battery brand, Deka. Historically, East Penn also built Duracell-branded batteries for Sam's Club & Batteries+Bulbs… but I am not 100% sure if that is still true today.

So my recommendation is: get a SuperStart and keep a copy of your receipt in the glove box. Then make a quick pit-stop at your local O'Reilly unit 2 or 3 times a year and have them test it out. If they find it failing, you'll get a new one installed free & fast on-the-spot under warranty. Shortly after the warranty expires, just purchase a new one and have them pop it in. Rinse & repeat as needed.

Thank you. The information on pole positions was very useful. I was about to swap this in to 11 LS460,
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT9834R

Do we have enough wiggle room to pull the both the left and right connectors? Instead of facing the firewall, the battery is linked would face the front as the positive is on the front right