LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 from a Private Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 09:07 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS460 from a Private Owner

I am in process of buying a SWB from a private owner, 2007 with 33k miles. Still under waranty and has the extended warranty that cover up to 100k miles bumper to bumper. Any pros and cons with buying from a private versus a CPO? It should be safe right since it is still under warranty? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-10, 09:12 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

get a list of all the services performed on the vehicle, they should have these and if they were done at Lexus then he can request it from his dealer. There were two (now 3) recalls on the 07 so make sure the idler pulley and fuel pipes were taken care of, if its 3 years old they should have maintained it to the point where all you need to do now is handle the valve spring replacements if your VIN is within the range. its also a good idea if you dont know what to look for to get a 3rd part to inspect it to make sure it has not been in any accidents. CarFax is not reliable from what I have found over the years. Too many side deals going on with independents and shops that are willing to not report damages etc. Just make sure you know what you are buying.
Old 09-26-10, 09:17 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

@cmasten: Thanks for the info. Is the extended warranty equivalent to a CPO?
Old 09-27-10, 07:48 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
@cmasten: Thanks for the info. Is the extended warranty equivalent to a CPO?
extended warranties can come in all shapes and sizes and cover a variety of items to extend. The CPO (certified pre-owned) service is provided by a dealer for used vehicles and there is a list of items and mileage constraints etc that are followed. There is a cost to the CPO which effectively covers the vehicle like new for another 3 years or up to 100,000 miles. Lexus will stand behind a CPO vehicle, they may or may-not for an extended warranty as some of those are backed by the dealer selling it. CPO warranties are good at any dealer across the Lexus network. One nice feature of CPO that most dont mention is that your treated by the dealers like a new car owner, you get road side assistance, free loaners when they apply etc. I have owned new and used and I cant tell the difference, its a nice perk.

You can find more info on CPO specifically at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/index.html

Last edited by cmasten; 09-27-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 09:47 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

It sounds like it has the platinum and it's bumper to bumper 7 years/ 100,000 miles. It's the best warranty you can buy from Lexus. Make sure it's the platinum warranty. It doesn't cover the battery after the four years, or any maintenance items. It's a good warranty and I have it on both of my vehicles...
Old 09-27-10, 05:37 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the asking price? Make sure it is Lexus Platinum extended warranty with no deductible and transferable.
Old 09-27-10, 05:43 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you can only transfer the warranty one time. I have the zero deductible on both of my vehicles...
Old 09-27-10, 06:14 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you get the service history, make sure the recalls were done, have an independent shop or a dealer inspect the vehicle prior to purchase and also have a body shop inspect for prior paint work/non-reported cash repairs.... then yes it can be a great deal to buy private.
Old 09-27-10, 08:28 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I called the guy and he is a Lexus broker. I've never dealt with a broker before but can they be trusted? The car is really clean, lease return with all maintenance records. See warranty below. What do you think?

Extended Vehicle Coverage by Express Autocare

A Bumper to Bumper Warranty that starts the day you buy from us.

Supreme Coverage

Powertrain

Engine Cylinder block, cylinder head(s) and all internally lubricated parts contained within the engine including: timing chains; timing belt; timing gears; cylinder head valves; valve springs, seals and gaskets, seats and retainers; water pump and factory installed turbochargers.

Transmission (Automatic or Standard) Transmission case and all internal parts plus: torque converter; vacuum modulator; electronic shift control unit; transmission cooler; transmission mounts; oil pan; seals and gaskets.

Transfer Case Transfer case and all internal parts; seals and gaskets.

Drive Axle (Front and Rear) Drive axle case; all internal parts contained within the drive axle; drive shafts; universal joints; bearings; differential cover; seals and gaskets.

Cooling Engine cooling fan and motor fan; fan clutch; radiator; heater core, thermostat and blower motor.

Steering All internal parts contained within the steering box; rack and pinion gear; power steering pump; hoses; steering column shafts and couplings, including tilt-wheel mechanism; steering box; rack and pinion gear housings; seals and gaskets.

Brakes Master cylinder; power brake cylinder; vacuum assist booster; hydro boost; disc brake caliper; brake hydraulic lines and fittings; hydraulic control unit; seals and gaskets.

Electrical Alternator; voltage regulator; starter motor; starter solenoid and starter drive; computerized timing control; electronic ignition module; ignition switch; front and rear wiper motor; headlamp switch; turn signal switch; heater/air conditioner switch and blower and horns.

Fuel Delivery Fuel pump; fuel injection pump and injectors; vacuum pump; fuel tank and metal fuel delivery lines.

Air Conditioner Condenser; compressor; lines and hoses; expansion valve; pressure cycling switch; seals and gaskets.

Front and Rear Suspension Upper and lower control arms; control arm shafts and bearings or bushings; ball joints; radius arm; torsion bars and mounts or bushings; struts; spindle and spindle support; wheel bearings; seals and gaskets.

Enhanced Electrical Automatic climate control programmer; electronic instrument cluster; mileage computer; distributor; ignition coil; cruise control module; powertrain control module; power window and power seat motors; power mirror; power antenna and power sunroof motor.