LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 01:41 PM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGS4
Ya I am also assuming it is a blown amp, but before I take it out and ship it off I was hoping there is some way to verify the tripping is actually being caused by the amp. Does anybody have thoughts on whether a blown speaker could also be causing the fuse to blow or how I can otherwise confirm?
It's a virtual certainty, but if you want to double check, carefully remove the cables from the amp, and replace the fuse. If it stays intact, the amp has a short, most probably in its DC-DC converter (power supply). If the fuse blows even with the amp disconnected, the problem lies elsewhere.

The connectors (at least on my amp) are held in by latches on one side which need to be pushed on and held to release them while you pull the connector cables, and even then they're a pretty tight fit.

According to my sources, a shorted speaker or speaker cable will cause the amp's protective circuitry to shut it down, but not blow the fuse. I have no personal experience with this.
Old 08-12-16, 01:47 PM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rhambler
This seems really common. Has anyone taken proactive measures to cool this thing off assuming it is indeed overheating?

Installing a 12 V DC fan, like a computer case fan, blowing over the amp?
Installing the amp on an oversized metal plate, corrugated if possible, to act as a heat sink and help dissipate heat away?

What components are failing in it? Capacitors? Transformers? Or simple solder melting away on various circuit board components? Anyone know?

Blown speakers will rarely cause an amp to trip, at least I can't recall that ever happening and I've had a lot of blown speakers in cars and at home over my lifetime.
I am considering installing a fan to blow on mine, connected to the ACC lead so it only gets 12 volts when the car is is running. On my amp, the entire case is an enormous heat sink, bonded to the internal heat sinks. There is also a tiny internal fan that is supposed to kick in once the temperature rises, I've been told.

My guess is that the components doing the heavy lifting, either the switching transistors in the DC-DC power supply or the output stage transistors, are failing due to heat when there is a failure.
Old 08-12-16, 02:46 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another thing to consider is that if a speaker is mechanically broken, it won't draw anymore amperage, or least it shouldn't. The amp will see the same impedance on a mechanically broken or blown speaker versus a normal one, no change in output current.

If the speaker is electrically broken, like a shorted wire in the coil (due to excessive current or what have you), then it might indeed draw more current, but most speaker failures that I've experienced are of the mechanical failure variety. Or that thing will mechanically break typically before those coils burn up.

Yeah, the power supply is a weak link for sure. I've burned through a few on my PC in a short span while barely using much power. Hunks of crap or maybe I just bought cheap ones.
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (03-26-20)
Old 08-12-16, 02:58 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts Bluescreen and Rhambler. I will work on things this weekend and see what I find out.
Old 08-19-16, 11:44 AM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rhambler
This seems really common. Has anyone taken proactive measures to cool this thing off assuming it is indeed overheating?

Installing a 12 V DC fan, like a computer case fan, blowing over the amp?
I've given this some thought, but can't see how useful it would be.

If you look where the amp is mounted (at least on my 2004 ES330), you will see it's just inches from the rear passenger fender, and once the cosmetic covering in the trunk is replaced, it's inside a relatively small hollow 'sealed' space. Blowing a fan across it would just move the hot air around inside the hollow space, and might drop the amp's temperature a degree or two (if that).

The heat needs to be made to go away, and a simple fan blowing on the amp won't do that - it's too constricted in its space.

What I'm considering is mounting the fan and some kind of grill to the stiff cosmetic housing, and exhausting the heat from within the 'sealed' space into the trunk.

Not sure if that would help, either. Placing the amp where it is is just a very poor design and implementation for an item that runs hot.
Old 09-12-16, 10:31 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I finally got around to removing my amplifier this weekend and will be sending it in for repairs later today or tomorrow. With the amplifier removed my 30 AMP fuse is no longer blowing, so I feel pretty confident the issue is indeed with the amplifier. I hope to be back in business in a week or so.
Old 09-22-16, 03:08 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Update: I sent my amplifier by UPS from Arizona to United Radio on 9/13/16. They called me on 9/20/16 to let me know that they had received the equipment and that repairs would be a flat rate fee of $725. They called me again today (9/22/16) to let me know repairs were completed and to charge my credit card. I should have the amp back in my hands in the next 4 or 5 days. I can't wait.
Old 09-22-16, 05:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

No doubt, you'll be very happy. Haven't heard one bad thing yet.
Old 09-24-16, 12:21 PM
pissed
Driver School Candidate

Default amp refurbished - still having issues

Hi- first time posting on here. So my sound was cutting out ('04 LX 470) with the volume occasionally jumping up and down randomly, and although the problem was fairly intermittent I went ahead and sent it off to the place in Syracuse. They were actually the ones who responded to my (very *****y) email that I sent directly to Mark Levinson after reading how many people have had this problem, and were quite kind and very quick / helpful.
Only problem is- the amp they sent me back worked perfectly for 1.5 hours out of a 3 hour car ride and suddenly... the problems began again. WORSE THAN BEFORE! It is no longer intermittent- it is ALWAYS!
Is there any possibility that there could be something else wrong causing this to happen? As in... could there be a problem within something else in the vehicle relating to the amp that is causing it to continuously fail? Or is it just that Mark Levinson amps really do suck *** and I need to send it out YET AGAIN? Considering asking for a refund and buying an aftermarket amp... If maybe that is my best bet, can anyone link me to something decent that installs seamlessly? Alpine maybe?
Also it might be helpful to note I have never altered anything in the car so everything is factory!
Thanks!

Last edited by pissed; 09-24-16 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 10:21 AM
rlovebk
Driver School Candidate

My wifes RX 330 (04) has an issue - You start the car and music comes on for a split second then nothing. Makes like a pop noise.
I removed the amp and I can't really afford 725.00, which seems a bit steep to me, for the amp service.
I am looking into a replacement as well and have had no luck. So not sure what to do.
Does this issue sound like the one you folks have had experience (amp) with here?
Good luck to all of you with this. Pretty poor QC by Mark Levinson or Lexus. Yeah it's old but my 30 year old amp works in one of my other cars.
Old 10-01-16, 12:44 PM
pissed
Driver School Candidate

My amp repair was 475$. Also they told me that it might also be that my subwoofer just desperately needing to be replaced. Turned the bass all the way down and it hasn't cut out since, lol.
Old 10-03-16, 02:08 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

FYI. I got my amplifier back from United radio last Thursday and put it back in the car on Saturday morning. Sounds good as new now. The whole process took a little over two weeks and I am in Arizona.
Old 10-25-16, 04:10 PM
hazzmat101
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where the amp is located in a 2004 gs300. Same problem, no sound
Old 12-06-16, 11:53 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pissed
Hi- first time posting on here. So my sound was cutting out ('04 LX 470) with the volume occasionally jumping up and down randomly, and although the problem was fairly intermittent I went ahead and sent it off to the place in Syracuse. They were actually the ones who responded to my (very *****y) email that I sent directly to Mark Levinson after reading how many people have had this problem, and were quite kind and very quick / helpful.
Only problem is- the amp they sent me back worked perfectly for 1.5 hours out of a 3 hour car ride and suddenly... the problems began again. WORSE THAN BEFORE! It is no longer intermittent- it is ALWAYS!
Is there any possibility that there could be something else wrong causing this to happen? As in... could there be a problem within something else in the vehicle relating to the amp that is causing it to continuously fail? Or is it just that Mark Levinson amps really do suck *** and I need to send it out YET AGAIN? Considering asking for a refund and buying an aftermarket amp... If maybe that is my best bet, can anyone link me to something decent that installs seamlessly? Alpine maybe?
Also it might be helpful to note I have never altered anything in the car so everything is factory!
Thanks!

Wire harness short,?
Old 12-06-16, 11:55 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rlovebk
My wifes RX 330 (04) has an issue - You start the car and music comes on for a split second then nothing. Makes like a pop noise.
I removed the amp and I can't really afford 725.00, which seems a bit steep to me, for the amp service.
I am looking into a replacement as well and have had no luck. So not sure what to do.
Does this issue sound like the one you folks have had experience (amp) with here?
Good luck to all of you with this. Pretty poor QC by Mark Levinson or Lexus. Yeah it's old but my 30 year old amp works in one of my other cars.
Assuming the amp is faulty. Can find on ebay used about 300.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair