LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Embarrassed to admit my service costs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 12:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus if you do not do alignments the irregular faced tread blocks become good snow tires in the mountains, and crap it sure is nice to hear your tires when you drive! That much more bang for the buck!
Old 10-22-10, 09:44 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

So, i think i will go in for my 60K service here shortly. Not looking forward to the $900 tab but what can you do when they hold you accountable for the maintenance in order for them to honor the warranty. *sigh*
Old 10-27-10, 07:28 AM
kpeter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact is Lexus is an expense car upfront! You’re paying a lot upfront to avoid problems later on. The way around the service cost is to adjust your thinking. Why am I maintaining this car so perfectly? The only time I go to the Lexus dealer is for warranty repair and state inspections. All you’re doing by going above and beyond your oil change is preserving the car for the next sucker that will own it. Avoid the dealer at all cost! Fluid changes only, sell it at 70K -90K, get a new one and continue the cycle.
Old 10-27-10, 04:32 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

I think you bring up a good point. My in laws own an 07 460 and treat it like dirt... Car has 40k mikes... Looks and drives just fine...they do oil change once a year and thats it. The car might be dying inside but you'd be hard pressed to notice.

I have bought into the service brainwash and take her in every 5k miles. Thoughts that I cling to: my wife and three kids are in this car alot.. I must keep it in tip top shape...I can pay for the service with no problem so why even make the cost an issue? I chose to buy an expensive car so I " deserve" Or should expect to pay high service costs....Dr. Phil would have a field day with my conflicting thoughts on the whole service thing.

Top it off? I usually keep my car for 3-4 years max...and no one ever seems to care about maintenance history at resale...as long as the car is spit shine clean inside and out and runs well it sells.
Old 10-28-10, 07:49 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you G26 - just pay the dealer and let him take care of everything. Just paid $450 for the 45k service, and along with the $350 navigation update, came to about $850 with TTL. Surprisingly, the Lexus service prices are in-line with the Acura prices I've paid over the previous 16 years. Repetition will dull the pain.

Over the years, I've gotten tired of the oil-change-and-spill-in-the-garage, the-oil-pan-was-stripped-before-I-touched-it-jiffy-lube, and the always fun that-part-is-for-a-1945-international--not-sure-why-Todd-sold-you-that--return-trip-to-the-auto-parts-store.

Service for the Lexus now consists of:

1. email service list to service writer
2. call from service writer to set time/date and any I-forgots
3. a polite, retired CEO parks a shinny new loaner car in my garage and takes mine away
4. same kindly gentleman brings it back a day or two later and writes down my credit card number on the receipt as payment.

The hardest part for me is changing out of my 'jammies before the driver shows up in the morning.

And a couple times I didn't even do that.
Old 10-28-10, 09:08 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob321
I'm with you G26 - just pay the dealer and let him take care of everything. Just paid $450 for the 45k service, and along with the $350 navigation update, came to about $850 with TTL. Surprisingly, the Lexus service prices are in-line with the Acura prices I've paid over the previous 16 years. Repetition will dull the pain.

Over the years, I've gotten tired of the oil-change-and-spill-in-the-garage, the-oil-pan-was-stripped-before-I-touched-it-jiffy-lube, and the always fun that-part-is-for-a-1945-international--not-sure-why-Todd-sold-you-that--return-trip-to-the-auto-parts-store.

Service for the Lexus now consists of:

1. email service list to service writer
2. call from service writer to set time/date and any I-forgots
3. a polite, retired CEO parks a shinny new loaner car in my garage and takes mine away
4. same kindly gentleman brings it back a day or two later and writes down my credit card number on the receipt as payment.

The hardest part for me is changing out of my 'jammies before the driver shows up in the morning.

And a couple times I didn't even do that.
...sounds like i need to incorporate, get some insurance and start a concierge service company for lazy lexus owners with disposable income
Old 10-28-10, 04:09 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by g26

Top it off? I usually keep my car for 3-4 years max...and no one ever seems to care about maintenance history at resale...as long as the car is spit shine clean inside and out and runs well it sells.
Exactly my experience. I cull thru the maintenance requirements and find that generally all of the "check this and check that" is just glorified baloney. Get the oil changed as per the book, maintain your car's appearance and at trade in/resell you won't get much, if anything, less than you would if you had babied it. And if you keep the car till the wheels fall off they will stay on just as long as if you had babied it!
Old 10-28-10, 07:56 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turbosix
...sounds like i need to incorporate, get some insurance and start a concierge service company for lazy lexus owners with disposable income
Sorry that is my retirement plan.
Old 10-29-10, 01:12 AM
cleanm3
Rookie

lol, very funny! im actually in the same boat. only reason is that i dont have time to take it anywhere else so my wife loves how nice the S.A. is to her and treats her very nicely! plus its so easy for her to drop off the car and they give her a loaner to run her errands for the day with the use of a full gas tank and eztag. also always great refreshments in the waiting room... oh well the price you pay for good service and a happy wife.
Old 10-29-10, 06:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix
I'll drive for you. I'm retired (a few rungs below CEO), a kindly gentleman (most of the time) and could use the lucrative tips.