LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Embarrassed to admit my service costs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 04:41 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarrassed to admit my service costs...

Must do a quick, post-service self-help rant....

In the "I need a shrink" department, I wonder if I am the only one who feels stupid guilty when i take my car in for service and basically get bamboozled with the high cost. I don't negotiate service prices.. I take my 460l in, get gouged and always leave with a shiny washed car and at least the happy illusion that my car was serviced by "certified techs using factory authorized parts." The lexi loaners are nice... The service ambience always classy.. But the prices leave me feeling like I was just taken for a ride. Every single time.

When people ask what I paid for this service or that, I usually round waaaaaay down so as not to look stupid. Soon this puppy will need new tires and brakes... I can imagine the hit in my wallet for those.

I am an intelligent, successful man, but when it comes to servicing this car I feel like an idiot.

I don't want to take the car to a non lexi mechanic... Don't know any good trustworthy ones with the tools to handle this car....Have you ever opened the hood on this thing?? The engine looks like something out of star wars. They make these things intentionaly intimidating. A cheaper fix now could mean more headaches.

Just came from servicing the car... It needed this and that... 45k standard service, plus ac flush, ac filter change, plus an extra this and that...All seem like reasonable things based on the 45kmileage...got the car detailed...looks and runs like new...great feeling.. Add it all up..$800+ bucks.

Thankfully I can afford the cost with no major impact to my budget and boy do I LOVE this car... There isn't a better one out there imo..... but... Sheesh!

If my amazingly friendly and helpful service advisor is lurking on this board... You're welcome for me helping make your daily quota! See you in the "factory recommended" 5000 miles when that dang huge yellow "!" shows up on my dash with the foreboding "Service Required" sign plastered front and center on my dash. I know how to reset that darn warning but I don't do it and dutifully go back.....

There are 5 lexus dealers within an hours drive of me for price shopping but this one is just blocks away...and has always left my car in tip top shape.

I always convince myself to be satisfied and after the bitter taste of the huge bill goes away I always cheer up... But $800 lighter... I must whine for just a bit longer...I know, I only have myself to blame...

At least I know that my lexi dealer looooooves me!

For the silent lurkers out there who experience similar issues... You are not alone!
Old 10-14-10, 04:53 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For major service intervals I take it to my Lexus dealer. I don't know if these are gouging prices or not, but like you, I feel better.

For minor service intervals (oil/filter changes) I generally take mine to the local Toyota dealer.

Cheaper and, I expect, just as much quality.

The waiting rooms aren't as posh, but hey!.............

HBH
Old 10-14-10, 10:04 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

when I bought mine I did a bit of research to see how hard they were to work on. Turns out they are not that challenging. They have some fancy engine covers on the motor, but they come off easy enough and then its just like most other motors.

If your half way handy, oil changes, air filter, ac filter and topping off your fluids is the majority of what it will need and you can do that for very reasonable. I picked up a set of slightly used service manuals for my LS and my wifes SC and have taken care of every service need for both on my own, including brakes and all the filters etc. There are some types of service that I would not try, but for those the local independent mechanic comes in at half price and for the warranty work there is the dealer.

You will find that by running through some of the pages here that service on this vehicle is not as intimidating as it may seem at first. There are those that dont want the hassle and can afford it so just take it in each time and then there are those like myself that can afford it , but like the challenge and dont like the feeling of being raped at the dealership so I find some time, do my homework and do it myself.
Old 10-14-10, 11:24 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Default Could be Worse

I know exactly what you are talking about, and let me put you at ease! I have owned Mercedes Benz as well and talk about someone picking at your pocket even after you purchased a vehicle

They charge you for everything and they find things to charge you for that seem to be a mandatory item to purchase to correct your current issue...
Not to mention that their customer service sucks, and is in no way comparable to Lexus...

$800 for your service probably would have been over a Grand at MB or even BMW. Not to mention that when you purchase a Luxury Vehicle parts are always more $$$ when it comes to repairs or service, so put your head back up, cause your rolling a Lexus LS Flagship that stands out on the road!
Old 10-15-10, 01:11 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTALEX
I know exactly what you are talking about, and let me put you at ease! I have owned Mercedes Benz as well and talk about someone picking at your pocket even after you purchased a vehicle
LOL.

Lexus = bend over but here's some lube.
MB = just bend over.

OP, although you are not over-the-moon about the prices, it sounds like you can afford the cost and the peace of mind you get. Enjoy the car.
Old 10-15-10, 04:41 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I take my LS430 to Toyota for everything. They have Lexus techs and this car is not that hard to work on. They let me bring in my own synthetic oil and charge me for a filter and 9 bucks. Tranny flush 100 bucks, lexus was 275, timing belt 650, lexus over a grand. If you have the time call around and compre apples to apples. You are lucky though that 45 k services at 800 bucks you can easily afford.

What is an AC flush on a couple year old car? I find many of these unusual service listings are overkill.
Old 10-15-10, 09:55 AM
lovecars1
Driver School Candidate

If you don't like getting your hands dirty then you can definitely justify the cost ($800). But to me changing the oil and related filters gives me peace of mind. I also know that no steps were skipped by a tired service tech.

As far as the other service needs, tire rotation ($20 at any national tire shop), filter changes (cabin, air conditioning or air $35 - $50 at other service stations) can all be done with normal tools and some guidance (books or this forum).

Maybe it is me but $800 for normal upkeep and a car wash isn't worth it. I can afford it but I'd rather spend or save that money for something I really want. Like a fur cover sink
Old 10-15-10, 10:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
LOL.

Lexus = bend over but here's some lube.
MB = just bend over.

OP, although you are not over-the-moon about the prices, it sounds like you can afford the cost and the peace of mind you get. Enjoy the car.
you forgot bmw also

I like that.......not getting no lube, but the analogy

Originally Posted by lovecars1
If you don't like getting your hands dirty then you can definitely justify the cost ($800). But to me changing the oil and related filters gives me peace of mind. I also know that no steps were skipped by a tired service tech.

As far as the other service needs, tire rotation ($20 at any national tire shop), filter changes (cabin, air conditioning or air $35 - $50 at other service stations) can all be done with normal tools and some guidance (books or this forum).

Maybe it is me but $800 for normal upkeep and a car wash isn't worth it. I can afford it but I'd rather spend or save that money for something I really want. Like a fur cover sink
Yeah, don't feel bad. Remember, you are paying some one for their "know how"", the time, the tools, the convenience of having everything under one roof...

with the tire rotations, in his case, he would have to find another location, driver there and have them do it.

Now if you were charged $100 to replace any of the filters AND you paid for you it, then definitely shame on you.
Those you just buy and pop them in yourself
Old 10-20-10, 04:50 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

For me, taking my car to Lexus gives me assurance that if and when something were to go wrong with the car (its a CPO), i don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to prove I've done the maintenances. They have the records at the dealership!
Funny how a Lexus (mine is an 07) intimidates me! I have no problem working on my 1996Acura and 2000 Jeep.
Old 10-20-10, 03:19 PM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be a HUGE believer in the old axiom of always taking it to the dealer for all services and having a flawless service record you could read like an almanac. . only to find out that gets you about $1000 more on the trade-in at best. Not, not worth it.

I only take it to the dealer if it requires dealer specific tools or it is warranty work. This year alone, with the valve spring debacle, I'm looking at over $10k in warranty work, about $500 in GPS upgrades, dent removal, etc.

Oil change: Valvoline instant oil change. They have to order the 9 quarts of 0W20 full synth for you, and there are 20+ bolts to remove the skid plates to change the filter (so they aren't that happy) but it cost me $101. I can't complain.
Old 10-20-10, 04:42 PM
jackhlt
Driver School Candidate

Angry interchangeable

Just checked with a Toyota dealer in Sacramento, and he said that parts for older Lexi and Toyota's were often interchangeable, but not for newer models. Specifically, not for engine air filters or for a/c filters.
Old 10-20-10, 08:54 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, to the thread starter. I had contemplated getting a newer Lexus and didn't have any info on services. 45,000 mile service for $800 is steep. Yes, I can afford it being I have a couple of businesses but, man that is steep for a non-major service. We can expect thats how car companies really make there money anyway so, no surprise ultimately,hahaha!

I took for granted my aging LS430 with now 108,000 miles on it but, its paid for and reliable so, I'll stay here and be blessed to have a car of any sort, not to mention the flagship of Lexus, older but, yet the flagship. To the thread starter, be at ease knowing as the years go by, you have a reliable car and years of driving to be done. Try the Toyota dealers like others have stated, may save you $100 bucks or so on less important services such as 55,000 miles etc., and take it only for Major services to Lexus. Heck, if you find Toyota can do the job, go there for all services if it saves you money. I would buy a Lexus serviced by Toyota, no fall of there to me, same cars and company fellow member, all the best!
Old 10-21-10, 12:06 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think service riders are encouraged to look for things on your cars to fix and recommend replacing every time you take the car in. It's one if the reasons I've found a good Indy who's costs are reasonable.
Old 10-21-10, 12:26 AM
schan1w
Driver

There is VERY little that needs to be done on a Lexus in the first 100K miles! Think about it, if you only did oil changes that cost $100 every 5K miles and skipped every recommended Lexus service, you'd save almost $5K. That's enough for new engine or transmission if something really went wrong. Just do some basic stuff like change the air and AC filter (very easy to DIY), do regular oil changes, and you'll be ok. Yeah, you'll need new tires. Probably new brakes as well. But skip everything else. Coolant is good for 90K miles. Transmission is usually sealed. Spark plugs good for 120K miles. Skip all the flushes. If you can afford an LS460, I highly doubt you'd keep the car beyond 100K miles, so don't worry about all this extra maintance they recommend.
Old 10-21-10, 12:30 AM
schan1w
Driver

Skip the wheel balancing and alignment as well. The cost of these extra services items can pay for a new set of tires. Unless you notice something out of whack with your wheels or alignment, these are fat profit items for dealers. $200 for balance and alignment that doesn't need to be done X 2-3 times - you can have new tires already.

Quick Reply: Embarrassed to admit my service costs...