LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil level problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 06:56 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level problem

Hi Guys, I just changed the oil on my LS460L. I drained the oil, replaced the filter and re-filled it with 9 quarts to begin with (I know it is supposed to take 9.1 quarts according to the owners manual). I figured I can just top off the remaining after it was run a little. Well, I just checked it and it looks a little HIGH on the dip stick!! How can this be? The manual says that the low mark to the high mark is about 1.6 quarts, so using that scale, it looks like I may be about 1/2 quart too high. What is going on?, should I drain a little out?
Old 10-14-10, 09:57 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

when you changed your oil was the vehicle on level ground and are you certain that all of the old oil was drained out? If you have since run the vehicle let it settle on level ground for about an hour and then check it again. You could drain a small amount at the filter with the release on the housing end, but I would guess that its at where it should be and your reading is just a bit off for maybe the above reasons. If you didnt get all the oil out that would explain it also. I dont think a half a quart high is going to break anything though.
Old 10-15-10, 12:26 AM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

I definitely changed the oil on level ground. It was on a lift. I let the oil drain for about 10 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes wasn't enough? There was still a small drip when I was done. Should I have waited until there was zero oil coming out? I ran it for at least 10 miles and let it sit for at least 4 hours and I'm still getting the same reading I was getting after I changed it. I guess I'll drain a little tomorrow and get it to the high line.
Old 10-15-10, 01:38 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't quote me, but I read somewhere that too much oil is as bad as too little.

I've seen the mechanic who does oil change on my LS460 do the following: He lifts the car up, drains the oil for about 12 - 15 minutes, removes the filter, cleans the filter house, puts the filter house with the new filter installed back in place, lets down the car on ground, pours in 8 bottles of oil (1 liter each), switches the engine on for half a minute, checks the oil level, adds more oil, checks again, adds a little more and so forth. He doesn't settle until he sees the oil level on the high mark. That usually takes 8.5L or so (we use liter instead of quart as a unit to measure oil volume).
Old 10-15-10, 06:44 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by up4speed
I definitely changed the oil on level ground. It was on a lift. I let the oil drain for about 10 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes wasn't enough? There was still a small drip when I was done. Should I have waited until there was zero oil coming out? I ran it for at least 10 miles and let it sit for at least 4 hours and I'm still getting the same reading I was getting after I changed it. I guess I'll drain a little tomorrow and get it to the high line.
that is strange but like JFNash is speaking to, maybe just dropping in 8 quarts next time and then running the engine, and adding in only what it needs to top it off is in order. to take a half a quart out you could easily do this at the filter housing
Old 10-15-10, 08:25 AM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Yep that was my plan. Thanks, I'm going to drain just do 8 quarts and top off. I decided to do it that way after I read that it was 1.6 quarts from low line to top line, so it's totally safe. Heading out now to drain the excess just to be safe. I'm sure 1/2 quart high is ok, but I'm **** like that and I have to fix it.
Old 10-15-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
Don't quote me, but I read somewhere that too much oil is as bad as too little.

I've seen the mechanic who does oil change on my LS460 do the following: He lifts the car up, drains the oil for about 12 - 15 minutes, removes the filter, cleans the filter house, puts the filter house with the new filter installed back in place, lets down the car on ground, pours in 8 bottles of oil (1 liter each), switches the engine on for half a minute, checks the oil level, adds more oil, checks again, adds a little more and so forth. He doesn't settle until he sees the oil level on the high mark. That usually takes 8.5L or so (we use liter instead of quart as a unit to measure oil volume).
that seems to be the standard procedure on how to do it from what notice
Old 10-15-10, 11:20 AM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

OK, all done, I feel better now. By the way do you guys find the dipstick very hard to get an accurate reading? I can somewhat see the high line, but then there is a little smudge above that, but there is no distinct line like some other cars.
Old 10-15-10, 07:09 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

OK, all done, I feel better now. By the way do you guys find the dipstick very hard to get an accurate reading? I can somewhat see the high line, but then there is a little smudge above that, but there is no distinct line like some other cars.
mine is exactly like that, it takes a bit of practice to read it.
Old 10-15-10, 07:15 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

So where is the proper level? is it the highest point that I see oil, or is it the highest solid oil mark, or somewhere in between? I would have to guess the highest solid mark.
Old 10-15-10, 10:23 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dipstick is hard to read. Sometimes I leave the dipstick out for a few minutes, then place the dipstick back, follow by pulling out in one smooth motion to get a clean reading. Most of the time I go by the highest solid oil mark. I have a V6 4Runner also, and that dipstick is even harder to read. Must be a Toyota thing.
Old 10-16-10, 06:35 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

So where is the proper level? is it the highest point that I see oil, or is it the highest solid oil mark, or somewhere in between? I would have to guess the highest solid mark.
mine will consistently give me a long oil line on one side (usually an inch or two higher than the high oil mark) and an actual oil level on the other. I take the highest solid line that sits in between the low and high level markings. My guess is that its sits in there such that the actual oil level is on the top side and the other side is underneath, so when you pull it out, it smears on the bottom, but the top is allowing the oil to show you the actual level, total guess here, but seems to make sense as that is exactly what I see inserting it one way and then 180 degrees the other.

Take your dip stick and clean it off well, do this several times and then insert it 180 reversed and you will see what I mean, assuming of course I have not just confused you more :-)

Last edited by cmasten; 10-16-10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 08:13 AM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Got it, I'll try that. Thanks
Old 10-16-10, 04:30 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I just looked at my oil stick and to clarify there are two holes that are punched through the stick, so no markings on one side, what each side looks like is the same as what I was describing above. There should be a good edge to the oil level on one side and the other will be all smeared. if you wipe it off several times you will begin to see this more clearly. Hope that helps