LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 07:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by duckblue
I know this is quite a long time ago, but give the plastic slotted screw a quarter turn so that the slot is vertical to ground rather than horizontal and then it should pull straight out.
"SHOULD" is the operative word. Mine have been stripped and messed up so many times, that my body shop replaced them with proper phillips screws - like 99% of other cars out there.
Old 05-26-15, 08:55 PM
duckblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duckblue
I know this is quite a long time ago, but give the plastic slotted screw a quarter turn so that the slot is vertical to ground rather than horizontal and then it should pull straight out.
Need to correct myself. It pulls out when the slot is horizontal rather than vertical.
Old 05-27-15, 09:59 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Guys!

I've gotten them out, but have found that DDM Tuning had sent me a bad set of lights.

They have a lifetime warranty, so that's not a problem, but I might just write them off and buy from a better vendor that has a product that works right off the bat. I don't want to keep shipping things back while I could just pay a bit more and get something that works the first time around.
Old 05-27-15, 11:09 AM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i just ordered morimoto 9006 6000k from the retrofit source. wont have time to install them until july, but will post a review afterwards. bought them early because they had a 15% off memorial day special. they're expensive but online reviews are mostly positive...
Old 11-16-15, 10:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got the "Mod bug", so I decided to upgrade my fog's to LED's.
I like to not only do lighting mods because they look great, but I enjoy the added usability of the brighter light source.
I imagine my bulbs were on the older side, as im sure they are the OEM originals, so they were dimmer and yellowish.
Big thanks to Shibumi1 for helping me with my kit choice as well as sending photos of the kits installed! He's a great resource!
The fogs are 40W 5000L (2500 per bulb) 6000K-6500K in color.
Mod was incredibly easy-15 minutes a side at the most. The most difficult thing was getting the OEM bulb to come out., as I had to sit there and wiggle it for a good 30 seconds.
Photos to come later.
Thanks again 'Boom!
Old 11-17-15, 09:12 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I've got the "Mod bug", so I decided to upgrade my fog's to LED's.
I like to not only do lighting mods because they look great, but I enjoy the added usability of the brighter light source.
I imagine my bulbs were on the older side, as im sure they are the OEM originals, so they were dimmer and yellowish.
Big thanks to Shibumi1 for helping me with my kit choice as well as sending photos of the kits installed! He's a great resource!
The fogs are 40W 5000L (2500 per bulb) 6000K-6500K in color.
Mod was incredibly easy-15 minutes a side at the most. The most difficult thing was getting the OEM bulb to come out., as I had to sit there and wiggle it for a good 30 seconds.
Photos to come later.
Thanks again 'Boom!
That sounds Cool! Could you Please post a link to where you got those lights from?

Does the Kelvin color match the stock HID's? Do you have any pictures that you could post?

They sound like just the ticket for the weak fogs that are on our car now!
Old 11-17-15, 10:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FreddyG
That sounds Cool! Could you Please post a link to where you got those lights from?

Does the Kelvin color match the stock HID's? Do you have any pictures that you could post?

They sound like just the ticket for the weak fogs that are on our car now!
Hey FreddyG,
I had asked Shibumi which kit he recommended and he told me a friend of his that still has the un-moded fogs used this kit below:

Amazon.com: Rolinger 5th Generation HB4/9006 LED Headlight Kit - CREE Bright 40W 360 Degree 5000LM 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Flexible Tinned Copper Braid - Fit for Toyota,Camery,Coralla,Ford,Silverado,Fusion,CRV,Civic,Accord,CHEROKEE: Automotive Amazon.com: Rolinger 5th Generation HB4/9006 LED Headlight Kit - CREE Bright 40W 360 Degree 5000LM 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Flexible Tinned Copper Braid - Fit for Toyota,Camery,Coralla,Ford,Silverado,Fusion,CRV,Civic,Accord,CHEROKEE: Automotive

CJITTY used this kit I believe (going off of his photo in his build thread):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231542716585?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Im wondering if the ones CJITTY used would appear to be brighter as the bulb is 3-sided, providing a true 360 range of light opposed to the kit I purchased where the bulb is two-sided. Also, that listing isn't exactly what CJITTY has I dont think, as our bulb type is 9006. The ones in the link are H7.
Either way, im satisfied, as they are way better than the OEM fogs and they are crystal-bright white.
I have yet to take a photo but will this evening after I finish replacing the Nike light LED's with the bulbs that Shibumi has in his.
I did the drivers side last night and its a huge difference. The Nike light location actually cast light now, and not just illuminates. Was a PITA but its done and I love it. The passenger side tonight.
I'll be posting in that thread once complete-write up and photos.

Funny because the K-color of the fogs is brighter than my HID's, but I contribute much of that to the fact that my HID's are probably as old as the car is 8+ years old. That and from what I read the HID's are 4300K whereas my fogs are 6000K-6500K LED's.
Not sure if i'll wait to swap out the HID's for newer HID's with a bit higher K rating, keep the 4300K
rating, or just wait all together until they begin to go out. Have to find a good bulb though.

The mod is easy and theres a ton of room once you pull the liner back, especially on the passenger side.
Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything, as I try to pay it forward and help if I can!
Old 11-17-15, 09:33 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have yet to take a photo but will this evening after I finish replacing the Nike light LED's with the bulbs that Shibumi has in his.
I did the drivers side last night and its a huge difference. The Nike light location actually cast light now, and not just illuminates. Was a PITA but its done and I love it. The passenger side tonight.
Can't wait for this! Might be worth a bit more work than a drop-in replacement if I can get some real light from that location.
Old 11-18-15, 03:34 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Hey FreddyG,
I had asked Shibumi which kit he recommended and he told me a friend of his that still has the un-moded fogs used this kit below:

Amazon.com: Rolinger 5th Generation HB4/9006 LED Headlight Kit - CREE Bright 40W 360 Degree 5000LM 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Flexible Tinned Copper Braid - Fit for Toyota,Camery,Coralla,Ford,Silverado,Fusion,CRV,Civic,Accord,CHEROKEE: Automotive

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231542716585?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Im wondering if the ones CJITTY used would appear to be brighter as the bulb is 3-sided, providing a true 360 range of light opposed to the kit I purchased where the bulb is two-sided. Also, that listing isn't exactly what CJITTY has I dont think, as our bulb type is 9006. The ones in the link are H7.
Either way, im satisfied, as they are way better than the OEM fogs and they are crystal-bright white.

Funny because the K-color of the fogs is brighter than my HID's, but I contribute much of that to the fact that my HID's are probably as old as the car is 8+ years old. That and from what I read the HID's are 4300K whereas my fogs are 6000K-6500K LED's.
Not sure if i'll wait to swap out the HID's for newer HID's with a bit higher K rating, keep the 4300K
rating, or just wait all together until they begin to go out. Have to find a good bulb though.

The mod is easy and theres a ton of room once you pull the liner back, especially on the passenger side.
Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything, as I try to pay it forward and help if I can!
Thank You Very Much for the information CRowe! I Appreciate it!
Old 11-19-15, 11:13 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Default My Fog Pics

Sorry for the delay, but here are a few pics that I promised.
I'll be posting my pics/write-up in the Nike Light thread shortly.
The first photo is with the old, smaller LED in the Park lamp/Nike light area and the new LED fogs.
Bright white!
The second photo is low beams-no fogs and the second photo is low beams with fogs.
Attached Thumbnails HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-larger-nl-led-and-led-fog.jpg   HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-light_no-fogs.jpg   HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-light-with-fogs.jpg  
Old 11-20-15, 10:39 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Sorry for the delay, but here are a few pics that I promised.
I'll be posting my pics/write-up in the Nike Light thread shortly.
The first photo is with the old, smaller LED in the Park lamp/Nike light area and the new LED fogs.
Bright white!
The second photo is low beams-no fogs and the second photo is low beams with fogs.
You better be careful because that looks like it could melt your garage door!

That's a lot of light and a Great cutoff too! To me in the pictures, it looks like the fogs almost overpower the low beams because of the color of the light on the door. It looks more of the 5500-6000k range of the fogs than the 4300k of the lows. Those are some powerful fogs and I like them!

Thanks for the info and the pictures!

By the way, CRowe....pm sent.

Last edited by FreddyG; 11-20-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 04:20 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

just ordered some HIDs - from xenon depot- 4300k will post pics once installed.
Old 09-13-17, 10:30 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey FreddyG,

Amazon.com: Rolinger 5th Generation HB4/9006 LED Headlight Kit - CREE Bright 40W 360 Degree 5000LM 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Flexible Tinned Copper Braid - Fit for Toyota,Camery,Coralla,Ford,Silverado,Fusion,CRV,Civic,Accord,CHEROKEE: Automotive

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231542716585?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Time to replace my old HID kit, would the one from amz listed above still be a good choice for an LED fog lights replacement or is there something better nowadays?
Old 05-25-18, 10:33 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am looking at doing this mod as well. Anyone who has done the LED's for fog, did you have any issues or warning lights on the dash due to load.... I know on some LED's you have to add a resistor in order to get the car to see the correct load otherwise you get a dash light error.... I will be looking at something along the 5-6k lumen as I will be replacing the HID headlights as well with either a 5 or 6k bulb...
Old 04-13-20, 01:03 PM
Ls46018365
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 modern times!!

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Hello Everyone,

I installed my HID fogs today and thought I would share some pics and info that could help someone out, yes I know this is a long post..sorry.

Some housekeeping:

Disclaimer - attempt at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your install.

My camera really sucks and I was in a rush to install these, so these are the best pics I could provide.

Shout out to my boy Dan for helping me out.

Whats needed as it related to my HID fog install:
*HID Kit with a 9006 bulb application (35 watt system is recommended and most common)
Note - my HID bulbs are OEM Philips 4100K D2S bulbs that have been retrofitted with a 9006 collar to fit into 9006 applications. PM me if you want the ebay seller name that should be able to get you some of these. I recall paying about $60 a pair.
*Flat Head Screwdriver to remove fender liner screws
*Slotted Screwdriver to remove fender liner screws
*two bolts with nuts
*2 big washers with smaller hole for bolts
*2 smaller washers
* Electrical Tape
* Long Zip Ties (optional to support ballast in bracket tighter)
* Isopropyl Alchohol (used to clean HID bulbs to remove any oils)
* Q-tips to clean bulbs with alchohol

Begin by parking car on level surface. Safety First. Make sure lights are off completely, not Auto and also turn the fog switch OFF.

Pick a side to start working on, I chose drivers side and took pics of only this side of the install since the right side is identical. Only difference is there is more room behind the fender liner on the pass side.

Loosen the two fender lining rivet stile plastic screws and one metal screw toward the top that also holds the plastic wheel wheel liner edge and one metal screw at the very bottom of the liner underneath bumper (bottom screw not shown, sorry)

Here is a close up of the overall fog light assembly

Notice the mounting location I chose, a pre drilled hole already there:

Turn and remove the existing halogen 9006 bulb by turning and it should pull out. You may have to wiggle it some. Unplug the light bulb from the connector.

At this point, you may want to test your new HID bulbs and each ballast to make sure they work. Instructions for connection are below or should of come with your kit.

Here is the bracket that came with my HID kit, one bracket per ballast.

Here is what the ballast looks like in the bracket. Notice that on the install that the wires are pointing down where they enter the ballast. This allows for more play and perhaps keeping water from hanging around. You can zip tie around the bracket and ballast to make sure the tabs are tight around the ballast if you wish.

I used the big washer to brace the back side of the bracket facing the front of the car and then a smaller washer on the side facing the tire and then mount the ballast to the pre drilled hole in the bumper frame. The ballast will basically hang down. These ballasts are pretty stable, but slight vibration like this should not be a factor. Once the fender liner is back in place, it will act as a support and keep the ballast from moving around.

At the end of the ballast, one set of wires connect to the pigtails of the HID bulb. The other connection will have two leads (perhaps there is a finished plug for your kit)
There are two female receptacles on the stock harness plug. Insert the red lead wire to which the red wire on the car is going. Then, the other wire will connect into the other female connector. Red seems to stay consistent, but the grounds can be white, blue or black from my experience doing these installs. Just make sure you know which is pos and which is neg. If the fogs don't come on, make sure your fog switch is on, high beams are off. If no luck, then switch the wires.

It should look like this:

Later on you may want to seal up the connection with some electrical tape.

Get a Q-tip and dip in the alchohol and clean off the bulb glass to make sure it is free of oil. Let it just air dry, takes a few seconds. Make sure you don't touch the glass! Where some latex gloves if you have no confidence in your ability to not touch the glass.

Connect the HID bulb wires to the pigtails from the ballast. You can't mess this up, they are male to female and female to male plugs and only go on one way.

Insert the HID bulb back into the fog light assembly. Push it in, turn and you should feel it lock into place. Pull on the light to make sure it is firmly in place.

Start car, and then turn on the fogs to see if it lights up, hopefully it should..you did testing along the way.

Leave the fender liner open for now.

Complete the install on the other side the same way

Once both bulbs are installed, you may want to double check to make sure they are aimed. Notice in the pic further up, there is an adjustment gear to change the vertical aim. I did not have to adjust mine, but I may lower mine to add more light between the bumper and where the low beams start showing on the road.

Easiest way to check aim is first pull up to a flat wall and notice if the fog pattern is basically even on each side..you can see a line going across. The true test is driving at night. If you get flashed, a good sign you need to lower the beams down. Again, i have not been flashed yet or had to adjust them to make sure the fog beams were even with each other.

Then, on each side push in the excess wire, close up the fender liners and put the screws/rivets back in and you are now HID fog kitted out.

On the right (driver side) is HID fog, on the left (pass side) is halogen fog. Camera really can't show the difference as well as I hoped.

Here is both HID fogs in

Here are some night pics also, enjoy.

HID fogs OFF

HID fogs ON

HID fogs OFF:

HID fogs ON:

FINAL PRODUCT

I hope this is helpful to someone, take it easy folks!
Dam I no this thread is old but now in 2020 u can just buy some LEDs and get the same effect ,plug n play but that only became possible recently being able to get same effect as hids!! But to be honest I'm a big fan of the way hids look when they charge up some people like LEDs cause there instant so fast but I personally love when the hids charge up looks really nice!!